Vanilin content under 2 %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunRiseArts

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and had a gazillion results.

How much vanillin in a fragrance would make your soap brown? Is under 2 % safe? What about under 1%?

Thanks.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/why-did-my-soap-turn-brown/

Soap Queen did a demo. While the lowest is 2.5%, I'd call that significant browning.

1% would be about 40% that, or a middling taupe, but still a noticeable deviation off white.

One of my fragrances has half a percent vanilla. I can detect the change from white easily and either embrace it with a tan vanilla swirl in white or cancel it as much as possible with titanium dioxide.

I can see the discoloration using bay rum (about 0.1% or so), but it's really quite minor and I just don't do those in lighter colors.

I use a color stabilizer with any sort of vanillin content if I want white or other light colors. It all discolors, just more drastically the higher the percent.

I just used a new fragrance that has, if I recall correctly, 1.7% vanillin. I figured since I wanted a brownish colour anyway I would let the soap just do its thing. It went chocolate brown, but the inside was still tan. Within 36 hours of cutting, the slices were all the colour of rich, dark chocolate.

I had another batch of fairly high vanilla content where I tried using a vanilla stabilizer, and ended up with mocha fudge coloured soap after two weeks.

I have resolved to love chocolate brown soap and work with it, rather than fighting for a white colour that goes against the nature of a particular fragrance.

I use BCN's VS and have had soaps stay the color I intended for up to a year before the vs started to fail. (and I've only had soaps that turn a very very dark brown fail after a year, ones that only turn a tan or light brown color haven't failed after 18 months)
For my applications this result is good enough for me. I use it in almost every batch, because it's not just vanilla that will brown a soap, although that is the most common.
Never had a problem.

I find that any amount of vanillin will discolour my soap at least a bit, even with the addition of TD. I've never tried a vanilla stabilizer, I just don't buy FOs unless they're 0% vanillin these days.

I too only buy FOs now that are 0 %, but since I had some in stock, I was wondering. I do know VS works, but I was just wondering how low can you go without having to use the stabilizer.

Thank you all for the help. :)

I too only buy FOs now that are 0 %, but since I had some in stock, I was wondering. I do know VS works, but I was just wondering how low can you go without having to use the stabilizer.

Thank you all for the help. :)

Besides using the maximum amount of TD there really isn't a way to avoid the darkening when using discoloring FO's.

I learned to roll with the brown color, even using the FO in only part of the batch in order to have a swirl. I am fortunate that I like scents that are warm, homey, and/or food related. So even if the FO only lightly discolors, I will add cocoa powder to make it darker.

Latest posts

Back