Canadian Import Petition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you're on eBay you probably already know about this, but if not it may interest you.

eBay is starting a petition that is of interest to anyone who imports supplies (or anything else really).

In short, the minimum you can import before paying duty is $20. This number was set three decades ago and is unfair when you consider that our major trading partners have minimums of US$800 in the United States and €150 for the European Union. You can get more info at the site below.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/petit...ernment-increase-canadas-de-minimis-threshold

I'd already signed, yes this is a steeling money usually form small businesses, I pay for labels 49 (the last one) $49 and end up with $122 CAd,

I signed too. In my experience though if you order from a seller that ships USPS and doesn't take off tax right away APOS, CBSA is often too lazy to record the transaction for things under $200 Canadian. It's hit and miss.

Considering the Canadian dollar is in the tank again, it's even worse to be dinged at the post office for HST and/or duty. Double whammy.

No way should any Canadian buyer use a US seller that ships UPS. Your bill with the "brokerage fees" will often come out higher than the item's price.

I'm not too far from Canada (20ish miles) and the UPS store where I get my mail has tons of Canadian customers. One customer must absolutely LOVE chewy.com, as they always have 20 or so boxes when I go in there. How much are you allowed to bring back from the US if you cross the border? I believe for us it is $250 a person (don't quote me on that, I looked it up months and months ago)

I'm not too far from Canada (20ish miles) and the UPS store where I get my mail has tons of Canadian customers. One customer must absolutely LOVE chewy.com, as they always have 20 or so boxes when I go in there. How much are you allowed to bring back from the US if you cross the border? I believe for us it is $250 a person (don't quote me on that, I looked it up months and months ago)

250 when you are just few hours, When I stay two days at my friend in detroit I have 800 and adding my hubby is $ 1600

I live on the Canadian/US border and often travel to the American side to pick up parcels. There are a few services over there that charge you $3-4 per package to use their address as your US shipping address and hold packages for you. Even with the terrible exchange rate, border tolls and package pick-up fees, it's often cheaper for me to shop on Amazon US than Amazon CAN.

As for amounts allowed back, it's honestly up to the particular border agent you get. Sometimes if they have a stick up their butt, you'll be paying duty on $100 worth of goods. Sometimes you can get away with $300 if you get a nice/lazy border guard.

During Christmas season, they seem much more strict. I paid a lot of duty in the month of December!

Goodness Toxikon, see about finding a nearby UPS store. Mine doesn't charge to hold parcels, and it's about $15/mo for a mailbox.

Latest posts

Back