How do you store soap trimmings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlbroox

Reaction score
I like to rebatch so I save all my trimmings. They are relatively soft because they're from new, uncured soap. What should I save them in? Cardboard box? I'm thinking plastic and glass would prevent them from breathing.

I sometimes save interestingly colored trimmings for confetti soap. When I do, I put them in a zipper-lock bag. If they seem overly dry to make confetti soap, I spritz them with water and let the dampened trimmings set for a bit before adding them to the fresh soap batter.

I used to save them all, but Irish Lass shared a tip that I like even better. Right after trimming up a new batch of soap, I smoosh the fresh trimmings into a little pancake, let this pancake cure just like a regular bar of soap, and use it at the sink for hand washing. You can lightly spray or sprinkle the trimmings with a little water -- or better yet a little ethyl or isopropyl alcohol -- to make them easier to smoosh together. Irish Lass presses her trimmings into cute molds, but I just make a rustic pancake in my hands.

This also gives me the fun of using the soap without the regret of using a "real" bar that I could otherwise give away or sell.

I sometimes save interestingly colored trimmings for confetti soap. When I do, I put them in a zipper-lock bag. If they seem overly dry to make confetti soap, I spritz them with water and let the dampened trimmings set for a bit before adding them to the fresh soap batter.

I used to save them all, but Irish Lass shared a tip that I like even better. Right after trimming up a new batch of soap, I smoosh the fresh trimmings into a little pancake, let this pancake cure just like a regular bar of soap, and use it at the sink for hand washing. You can lightly spray or sprinkle the trimmings with a little water -- or better yet a little ethyl or isopropyl alcohol -- to make them easier to smoosh together. Irish Lass presses her trimmings into cute molds, but I just make a rustic pancake in my hands.

This also gives me the fun of using the soap without the regret of using a "real" bar that I could otherwise give away or sell.

Oh wow, what a great idea. I'm a sculptor and noticed that the soap is really malleable and would be great for a sculpture. I have food grade silicone putty I've been dying to use for molds. I'm going to sculpt something in clay and make a silicone mold! Now I just have to decide what it should be...

Oh wow, what a great idea. I'm a sculptor and noticed that the soap is really malleable and would be great for a sculpture. I have food grade silicone putty I've been dying to use for molds. I'm going to sculpt something in clay and make a silicone mold! Now I just have to decide what it should be...

If it's still really soft you can use it for decoration like icing for cake making.
See http://sorcerysoap.com/product/magic-soap-box/
For ideas to get you started.

Back