Preservative ini liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just me, but I don't worry about shelf life with LS any more than I worry about shelf life with bar soap. Maybe it's because of the ROE and vitamin E I add to my oils, or possibly the essential oils, some of which are known to have "preservative qualities".

SHORT STORY:
I was purging my B & B supply cabinets the other day when I came across a 4-oz, sealed, bottle of shampoo made in 2007 that I forgot I had. It is my favorite shampoo -- flaxseed oil with 10% coconut and 10% rosin. I took the seal off, gave it a sniff, and, since it smelled fresh, I used it to wash my hair. No worries.

NOTE: ROSIN saponifies much like an oil but without any resulting glycerin. It gives a smooth cold cream finish to the lather and also acts as a detergent and preservative. Calculate - Rosin has the same SAP value as Wheat Germ Oil. (NOTE: May cause contact dermatitis in sensitive individuals).

I know many soapers I respect use preservative, and that's their choice. But it makes no sense to me. Before I learned to make soap, I tried a few so-called "natural" shampoos on the market -- Jason, Avalon, etc. If I remember correctly, they contained a preservative and they always smelled funky after about 6 months. Ugh. Plus, there is no preservative specifically formulated for lye-based liquid soap. Why would there be? As an alkaline product, i.e., nasties don't survive in an alkaline environment, why waste the money?

On the other hand, Dr. Bronner's liquid soap has been around since the hippie days and contains no preservative, zero, zip, none, nada. That's the liquid soap I aspire to. Also, some of the largest manufacturers on the groups I've been a member of always pipe up during this topic to say they never use preservative.

As for the "rather safe than sorry" argument for using a preservative, I could use the same argument for NOT using preservative. I've read enough about what can happen when a preservative is introduced into a non-compatible environment to have the same fear!

Just my take on it. 'Nuff said.

I am a newbie in liquid soaping but I do agreed with you. Dr B has no preservatives except of vitamin E. My friend she buying dr Bronner's the biggest bottle and took her more than a year to finish but no problem.

I am a newbie in liquid soaping but I do agreed with you. Dr B has no preservatives except of vitamin E. My friend she buying dr Bronner's the biggest bottle and took her more than a year to finish but no problem.

Tell her you can make better liquid soap than Dr. Bronner, and sell it to her much cheaper.

Oke I will try my own LS without preservative first n see. I am very thankfull for All of You who share your experiances to me, I m so gratefull, this group encourage me some much. My dreams can make LS like Dr.B

Oke I will try my own LS without preservative first n see. I am very thankfull for All of You who share your experiances to me, I m so gratefull, this group encourage me some much. My dreams can make LS like Dr.B

You will make like Dr B only better cos you are not mass manufacturing so you can tweak about to add anything which helps to improve it which is not cost effective with mass manufacture usually. We never stop leaning and I too enjoy the knowledge of this forum and the generosity of those who share so much. Oh and don't forget any failure isn't failure as such it is just a lesson and the best way to learn and improve.

Tell her you can make better liquid soap than Dr. Bronner, and sell it to her much cheaper.

Thank you Susie, I am can't sell but once in a while I given her my liquid soap that's why she buying Dr B because she like liquid soap that I given her. Every 3 months I give her a bar of soap too.

Latest posts

Back