Eek! Christmas!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have different pain tolerances, and people who have recently or routinely eat foods that are hot (temperature wise, not spicy) tend to have damaged nerve endings on their tongue, which would affect accuracy.

Here's a great blog post about zap-testing/pH testing by our resident chemist/soapmaker DeAnna: https://classicbells.com/soap/zapTest.html

Definitely worth a read. :)
I've read that blog :)
A PH meter is on my Christmas list!

If you are not greatly opposed to using some Palm I would get this shortening from Walmart, if you have one nearby and use it at the rate of 45% GV Shortening/25% lard, 5% Castor oil and the remainder what soft oil you prefer. Otherwise go with Shunt's recipe, make it as soon as you can so it can age as long as possible. Although I am not an advocate of selling soap so soon, as long as your soap does not zap it will be fine with one of these recipes. Measure accurately and make your MIL happy!! Ph will not tell the whole story but a zap test will tell you if it is safe to use. Okay, if you have damaged never endings in your tongue try the zap test on the more sensitive side of your tongue. It is interesting you mention nerve damage from hot foods, I personally have not know anyone to do that and I live in a very high "hot food" area, being in So Cal

I am going to go against the flow here...

My first 5-6 batches of soap turned out wonderfully. I still have some of the first shave soap I made as well.

If you research as much as you have alluded to, and take reasonable care to follow well established process, I do t see why you couldn't make good soap.

This isn't rocket science. (FWIW...I am a bona fide rocket scientist) it's soap.

My only suggestion is to be sure lye is your "limiting reagent". Here they call it superfat, which just guarantees all the lye is reacted.

FYI, I gave away most of my first batches. I can't stand waste and couldn't make more until I had room for it. So, I gave away a bunch of it. I am still legally sound. No one has died. Most have asked for more.

I stand ready for the ensuing onslaught of commentary about my unpopular opinion. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I think most of us err on the side of caution - we've seen too many disasters LOL. It's really nothing personal.

I agree that my first batches also went swimmingly. As long as your oils and lye are fresh and from reputable sellers, and you have a solid, well-loved recipe, you should be fine.

My first 5-6 batches of soap turned out wonderfully. I still have some of the first shave soap I made as well.

If you research as much as you have alluded to, and take reasonable care to follow well established process, I do t see why you couldn't make good soap.

I stand ready for the ensuing onslaught of commentary about my unpopular opinion. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

You must have missed my post #20.

Are all soap makers this pompous, or are you a special case?

I'm open to advice more comprehensive than "don't."
You asked for advice. Most people here will have the opinion "don't" for some very valid reasons.

If you don't know what the soap you are making will be like 6 months or more down the road, it isn't advisable to give it away. What if it develops dos? The timeframe doesn't allow for testing by anyone but you. Everyone's skin is different, I usually test new recipes with at least 15 people so I have a broader sense of how well it is or isn't liked. What about if it's soap, but just ok soap? I want people to use my soap and love it. If people don't really like it, it hurts all of us, especially those who sell, because it creates a bias against handmade soap.

If you insist on going ahead against everyone's advice, don't get fancy, don't try a complicated recipe.

50% lard, tallow or palm
20% coconut
25% olive
5% castor
5% superfat

Adding a couple tsp sugar ppo will give some extra oomph to bubbles. It is balanced, creates a hard bar and easy to work with.

I am going to go against the flow here... My first 5-6 batches of soap turned out wonderfully. I still have some of the first shave soap I made as well. ... This isn't rocket science. (FWIW...I am a bona fide rocket scientist) it's soap. ... FYI, I gave away most of my first batches. I can't stand waste and couldn't make more until I had room for it. So, I gave away a bunch of it. I am still legally sound. No one has died. Most have asked for more. ... I stand ready for the ensuing onslaught of commentary about my unpopular opinion.
:clap: Well said. However, I tried posting something very similar once, actually more times than once, and it didn't make it past the "midnight marauder" that goes around deleting such posts without so much as a "sorryboutthat" or a PM to explain the action. I shall anxiously await the morning to see if you make it through the night. :shifty:

PS: Of course, they like scientists around here... i.e., my post is more likely to be deleted than yours. I don't speak scientific. Actually hurts my head. XD

ETA: Oh! "Ivan"stein! I just got it! Smack Laugh.gif

If you've only made 2 batches I'm not sure I would make it for other folks as of yet. But that may just be me. I only gave it to family for the first 6 months or so. Then shared with others. However, if you do decide to do it I would keep it simple. 50% lard, 20% CO, Castor 5% and the rest Olive or HO Sunflower. Skip the Beeswax as lard makes a nice hard bar of soap. If made in the next day or so you should be fine for Christmas.
Good on ya, Shari! This thread could have stopped right there and Trixie would have the best advice and a T & T recipe as well! Have a look:
Shari's Recipe.png

FYI @ Trixie: As OP (Original Poster) you may ask a moderator to delete any and all posts of your choice in this thread... I'm just sayin'...
*I want to note that I don't want to use Palm oil because I haven't been able to research an ethical source for it yet.
Soapers Choice has it. Here’s a link:
https://soaperschoice.com/
If you don't need that much, you can check with other suppliers like Brambleberry, Majestic Mountain Sage, WSP (maybe) or ask the group.
I have beeswax that I used for another project so I've been trying to find a use for it
We can help! There are many and better uses for beeswax than soap, i.e., lip balm, cuticle balm, lotion bars, herbal salves and balms, candles, Christmas ornaments (google it), dangly car scenters. Just give a holler when ready.
I might not have a lot of practical experience as of yet, but that's partially because I like to do extensive research before diving into anything. (True story- I turned down my husband's first marriage proposal because I hadn't researched filing taxes jointly yet.)
Oh, that’s funny!
I'm always happy to hear constructive criticism, but you're acting as if I am destined to fail. If you think I'm going to fail, please let me know what specifically I can change to succeed, otherwise, have a little faith in my intelligence and ambition.
Well said. I for one have faith in you and want you to succeed in this mission. After all, you have a MIL to please and whatever assistance I can lend, I’m happy to do so. I’m not here every day to pick up PMs, but you can feel free to Email me: [email protected]

HTH :bunny:

Unless a post breaks the forum rules in some way, why would a modmin delete it? Not to mention, what kind of world do you live in where it's okay to say "take those words away, I don't like them"? Especially when you look at the content of the posts. The op might not like it, but to ask for them to be deleted (and to actually expect it to be deleted) shows something interesting

This isn't rocket science. (FWIW...I am a bona fide rocket scientist) it's soap.

My only suggestion is to be sure lye is your "limiting reagent". Here they call it superfat, which just guarantees all the lye is reacted.

FYI, I gave away most of my first batches. I can't stand waste and couldn't make more until I had room for it. So, I gave away a bunch of it. I am still legally sound. No one has died. Most have asked for more.

Totally and completely agree with you.

So, I tweaked my recipe a bit and made a batch but instead of going CP, I bought a cheap thrift store crock pot and tried my hand at HP. (A method, I might add, that no one suggested.) I let it cure and harden for about three weeks. I have to say, it is amazing and better than the other recipes I've found and tried. I also blended several essential oils so that it smells like a Christmas hug. This soap is exactly what I designed it to be. Bubbly yet creamy, cleaning feeling yet moisturizing. It's a little bit ugly, as I've heard that HP can be, but I wanted to get a great recipe before working on aesthetics.

This whole experience has bolstered my confidence in my own abilities, but it has negatively impacted my view of the soap making community as a whole. While some people here were helpful, my feeling for the remainder can be summed up with an extension of the middle finger. I don't foresee myself using this forum as much of a resource in the future. I have more faith in myself to do get me where I want to go than I do in this so-called community to help direct me there.

So, I tweaked my recipe a bit and made a batch but instead of going CP, I bought a cheap thrift store crock pot and tried my hand at HP. (A method, I might add, that no one suggested.) I let it cure and harden for about three weeks. I have to say, it is amazing and better than the other recipes I've found and tried. I also blended several essential oils so that it smells like a Christmas hug. This soap is exactly what I designed it to be. Bubbly yet creamy, cleaning feeling yet moisturizing. It's a little bit ugly, as I've heard that HP can be, but I wanted to get a great recipe before working on aesthetics.

This whole experience has bolstered my confidence in my own abilities, but it has negatively impacted my view of the soap making community as a whole. While some people here were helpful, my feeling for the remainder can be summed up with an extension of the middle finger. I don't foresee myself using this forum as much of a resource in the future. I have more faith in myself to do get me where I want to go than I do in this so-called community to help direct me there.

Not sure why you're surprised no one mentioned HP... what benefits does it have in regards to CP that are relevant to your questions? Curing time is the same (if not longer), and HP can actually be more difficult for beginners compared to CP.

Anyway - glad your soap turned out and sorry to hear you feel that way about our community. There will always be some blunt folks anywhere you go and developing a tough skin and not taking things personally is a valuable skill to learn. Good luck with your soaping! :)

I am glad your soap turned out well. Hot process is great for quick soap that unmolds fast. Also, it eliminates the "disappearing fragrance" and colors don't change due to lye reactions.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the forum. I think you'll find that if you ignore some of the "tribal knowledge" that seems to prevail around here, you'll find a rather pleasant and knowledge crew. I don't agree with the resident lingering thought that hot process soap needs to cure. Hasn't been my experience. I also don't agree with the thought that you have to soap for a year before you sell, or are qualified somehow, or are part of some unspoken club. My first batch of soap was fantastic and no one died. My first shave soap was by a recipe from a woman who doesn't use shave soap, so it went south. Just like anything else, I put my nose in the books and my next batch was also fantastic.

So. Ignore the BS that's unsustantiable and make a couple friends before you go. Might be worth it.

Ivanstein, you seem like good people. I just can't stand pretentious people who act like this is a secret society or that soap making is hard. It's just chemistry. Chemistry isn't hard.

Ivanstein, you seem like good people. I just can't stand pretentious people who act like this is a secret society or that soap making is hard. It's just chemistry. Chemistry isn't hard.
There are a lot of good people in this forum and a wealth of information you will have a hard time finding in soaping books. It may be science but even doing everything perfect a soap can go wrong. After years of making I still remember a batch going south that I guarantee was measured perfectly, and I could never figure out or fix the problem. Even re-batching with added oils would not stop it from zapping, and that was when I still superfatted at 5%. Unfortunately I did not test the soap and sent one out to a good customer whom never told me something was wrong. I contacted her when I finally tested the soap and told her to toss it, she had already thrown it away and just thought something had gone wrong. When I first started making soap out of desperation to make some money I will say I sold to soon, what I thought was a wonderful soap was only mediocre and not something I would sell today. Many in this forum do a lot of experimenting, myself included, trying new methods to improve how a soap will feel, act, last etc., so you really might want to consider sticking around none of us are bad people. I have changed a few things in my soaps that have made quite a big difference and without this forum I would not have thought of it. :) Forgot to mention that the good customer did not leave us, but I did make it up to her with a lot of extras

There is loads of good advice here and I usually lurk and occasionally reply but still think twice before I post anything. Being shot down is no fun and whilst a lot of what is said makes perfect sense it can sometimes come across dismissive or abrupt.

If you can see beyond some of the abrutpness and follow some of the threads you will see why some things are simply red flags and and if you stick around the chances are you will see that some of the 'negative' things are solid sound advice.

Been making for a few years (but still consider myself too new to contribute on recipes or methods!) and over time I have dismissed ideas on here only to rethink them and realise that a lot of the advice is sound and routed in practical or scientific evidence.

Stick with it, you may not always like what is said, you may not always agree but it gets in your head somehow months or years later you find yourself using one of the recipes or methods or suppliers from here!

Back