Who's your favorite comedian (or comedienne) ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcandleattic

Reaction score
I changed my signature yesterday, because I was listening to Mitch Hedberg yesterday all day.
Someone in another thread noticed and commented so it got me to thinking, who do you guys like as far as comedians?

I have so many that I love - and all for different reasons.

Typically I don't really like female comedians (or comedienne's as it were) because to me, for the most part, they just aren't funny. However, the exception to that is Kathleen Madigan, and Angelina Johnson. I LOVE them both, and have seen them both a couple of times. They are basically the only female comedians that I like.

As for male comedians, there are so many - I'll list some of my favorites - it's hard to pick an all-time favorite, because I like so many for such different reasons...

Mitch Hedberg, (of course)
Ralphie May (SOOOO SAD what just happened)
Kevin Hart
Lewis Black (his candy corn bit is one of my all-time favorites)
Josh Blue
Jim Gaffigan
Daniel Tosh
All the blue collar guys
Ron White

I could go on and on for days - there are so many.
I love watching stand-up - one of my favorite past times. :)

I saw Jerry Seinfeld and Howie Mandell live and they were both hilarious. I really like Louis CK too. :)

Louis CK is awesome. I love him too. Loved his character on Parks and Rec., and saw him live once.
Howie Mandell doing the little boy voice always used to crack me up.

Not much of a Jerry Seinfeld fan myself, but I know people just love him.

John Caparulo (The Cap) is another of my favorites. Saw him live once, but I was so sick I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have had I not been sick. I was in the front row, and he picked on me for coming to his show sick. LMAO

My favorites are still Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman and Vickie Lawrence.

I just love watching old Carol Burnett shows and laughing 'til I cry.

Oh yes, old comedies are great too. The Carol Burnett show still ranks as one of my all-time favorite sitcoms.

There's no way I could pick a single stand up. I can just list some standouts that nobody else has mentioned:

Bill Burr
Mike Burbilglia
Jo Koy
Chris D'Elia
Ryan Hamilton
Maria Banford

My favorites are still Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman and Vickie Lawrence.

I just love watching old Carol Burnett shows and laughing 'til I cry.
I've been telling everybody for the last couple of years that they should air that show again in prime time. They might have to edit out the very most topical stuff from the time that would not be relevant now, but most of it would be fine. I think it would KILL the rating of whatever reality-show nonsense it was up against.

There's no way I could pick a single stand up. I can just list some standouts that nobody else has mentioned:

Bill Burr
Mike Burbilglia
Jo Koy
Chris D'Elia
Ryan Hamilton
Maria Banford

I forgot about Mike Birbiglia and Bill Burr. Love them.
Saw Mike Birbiglia live and any comedian who at some point during their act can interact with the audience and can still by funny and on point, then I'm all for it. They are true performers of their art.

Maria Bamford's material is funny, but her baby voice gets on my nerves so bad I have to turn it off when I hear her.

Gabriel Iglesias aka Fluffy (even though he's much less fluffy than he used to be)

Most of his stuff is all ages appropriate but his newer stuff is starting to break away from that. His least funny (IMO) but most interesting special was his Hawaii special - he spent a good portion of it talking about being invited to Saudi Arabia for a comedy festival.

JC & BG have most of my favorites covered, and toxikon added Louis CK already so I'll just add:

Dave Chappelle
Jim Jeffries
Anthony Jeselnik
Ali Wong (female!)
Zack Galifianakis
Marc Maron

I'll have to keep adding to the list. Also check out: Youtube, channel: Comedy Central, series: This is Not Happening. Lots of great comedians, not for family night.

P.s. Legit

How sad to know I am not up on comedians! The only current comedian I watch is Jeff Dunham - and considering I detest crude, rude and derogatory comedy - that says a lot. But he'll have me laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

I've gotten into listening to old radio programs. Last winter we had tons of rain here in drought stricken CA, and my little one isn't used to it - she's spent half her life in CA and doesn't really remember "real" rain. So we'd snuggle up together and play "Old Fashioned Days" - light a bunch of candles and listen to Fibber McGee and Molly and mysteries - like The Shadow.

For classic comedians - Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, Martin and Lewis movies, Bob Hope "On the Road" movies, Gracie Allen - although George Burns....never found him funny.

It's not stand up, but I'll always love Mr Bean. And you can watch it with kiddos :)

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bS1ePEZZCDY[/ame]

I'm torn between the Carol Burnett show and Rowan and Martin, and all the talent it introduced us to...Lily Tomlin,etc etc.

How sad to know I am not up on comedians! The only current comedian I watch is Jeff Dunham - and considering I detest crude, rude and derogatory comedy - that says a lot. But he'll have me laughing so hard my stomach hurts.

For completely clean comedy, look for the Ryan Hamilton special on Netflix. He's really good, really polished and my wife and I were wondering why we'd never heard of him before. She looked him up online and he's been around a while but is known for being a "clean" comic. Works corporate gigs and such. Now he's got a special on Netflix called Happy Face.

Steve Martin and Eddie Izzard.

crack me up.gif

Steve Martin and Eddie Izzard.

I LOVE Eddie Izzard. His star wars death star bit with darth vadar has me rolling every time I hear it.
I wonder if he still plans on running for office in Britain in 2020? I think that would be awesome. (Don't think he'd win, but... and since I'm American, it really doesn't affect me -much- but I'd still like to see it)

Millie - Out of your list I love Dave Chapelle - his "I'm Rick James, B***ch" was hilarious.
I also like Jim Jeffries, sort of. Not my favorite, but I don't change the channel. LOL
And Mr. Bean is awesome...

CTAnton - Lily Tomlin is a great comedic actress. Incredible Shrinking Woman was cute, and I loved her small roll in The Kid with Bruce Willis, and recently, Grace and Frankie is a must watch. She's brilliant!!

BG - I've actually heard of Ryan Hamilton, but I think the main reason he's not as popular, unfortunately, is because he's a clean comic. For some reason, clean comics just don't get the recognition they deserve.

lenarenee - I remember listening to The Shadow all the time. I would love it if it made a serious comeback. I know they tried a couple years ago, and it failed miserably, but it's because they tried to "Hollywood" it up, and it just was not the same...

JC, if you like Dave Chappelle you might like The Chappelle Show co-writer Neal Brennan. He's got a special on Netflix called 3 Mics. It's a bit different but interesting too. And funny of course.

I can't wait to check out the comedians from everyone's lists I haven't heard of yet. Love stand up!

JC, if you like Dave Chappelle you might like The Chappelle Show co-writer Neal Brennan. He's got a special on Netflix called 3 Mics. It's a bit different but interesting too. And funny of course.

I can't wait to check out the comedians from everyone's lists I haven't heard of yet. Love stand up!

Neal Brennan is HILARIOUS! I love his podcast. He also had a small role in Get Him To The Greek with Russel Brand and Jonah Hill (Russel Brand's stand up is also very funny, and Jonah Hill is one of my favorite comedic actors!)

Another comedian that hasn't been mentioned but is HILARIOUS is Bob Marley (the comedian, not the Rastafarian! - although I do love me some Bob Marley reggae music! :))

Here is a quick youtube post of Bob Marley the comedian - the album this clip is off of has me rolling every time. He does curse, but he is not crude by any means.

https://youtu.be/v-cCAWPW1Tg

Latest posts

Back