What does Soap Queen have against lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghee is basically clarified butter which by vegans would be an animal product and therefore not vegan and likely some vegetarians as well.

Ah ha! That explains Soap Queen's prejudice then. It's a vegan only site! No wonder no animal products are suggested to replace certain plant based products. Haha

Actually I was only joking with my post. Bad joke I know, but I couldn't find the "just joking" smiley here. :think:

Can you use ghee in soap-making? I had no idea!

Yup. It's on soapcalc too. Here's its profile:

Capture.PNG

Ghee or butter can be used to make soap, but what soapcalc doesn't tell you is that milkfat contains a fair dose of butyric acid. This fatty acid when turned into soap has an odd, distinctive smell -- something like the tangy sort-of-fermented smell that a cheddar or aged swiss cheese has. Many people dislike it and absolutely won't tolerate the smell in their soap, so for that reason I don't consider it an alternative to lard-tallow-palm. Even heavy cream can add a butyric odor to soap.

Last edited:
Ghee or butter can be used to make soap, but what soapcalc doesn't tell you is that milkfat contains a fair dose of butyric acid. This fatty acid when turned into soap has an odd, distinctive smell -- something like the tangy sort-of-fermented smell that a cheddar or aged swiss cheese has. Many people dislike it and absolutely won't tolerate the smell in their soap, so for that reason I don't consider it an alternative to lard-tallow-palm. Even heavy cream can add a butyric odor to soap.

Very interesting too. I found this on Wikipedia: "The substance has also been used as a stink bomb by Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to disrupt Japanese whaling crews." Hahaha!

I doubt there's much of a market for vomit fragrance soap. But one could always try mixing it with equal parts of Neem and Pine Tar. Hmmmm :think:

I guess ghee may not be the best palm substitute after all. Yet another brilliant idea shot down in flames. :mrgreen:

I just don't even understand why someone would want to use ghee in soap. The expense alone seems prohibitive. But I think the same about duck fat and some of the other ones on the list. Perhaps if you live somewhere with a ready and affordable source for some of those 'oddity oils' then it could come in handy to know the SAP value and maybe that's why they are in the lye calculators. I have wondered why some of them are listed. There's got to be a reason.

I just don't even understand why someone would want to use ghee in soap. The expense alone seems prohibitive. But I think the same about duck fat and some of the other ones on the list. Perhaps if you live somewhere with a ready and affordable source for some of those 'oddity oils' then it could come in handy to know the SAP value and maybe that's why they are in the lye calculators. I have wondered why some of them are listed. There's got to be a reason.

Yeah, like exactly how much ostrich oil does the average soaper have lying around anyway?

Well I just got back in from cold pressing the oil out of a load of ostriches (the pulp will have more pomace ostrich oil extracted) and now I'm starting to wonder if it's not a normal thing to do.

You all don't buy your ostriches to press the oil?

Probably Emu's here in Oz, EG, I've yet to catch one, they run too fast.

All this Ostrich oil talk brought to mind an ostrich that I've seen a few times in Albequerque, New Mexico.

He/she lives next door to the site where Breaking Bad's El Pollos Hermanos is situated. My granddaughter took the photo of the ostrich. I took the photo of the sign inside the restaurant. On one of our roadtrips in 2013, we went to a few Breaking Bad filming locations. My husband was so fascinated by our tour of Albequerque, that he later made a point of scheduling the same so he could see them with me as well, so I've actually gone to visit this ostrich on 3 or 4 different occasions. It was still there last summer.

Ostrich2013Jul25028.jpg

1-BreakingBad2013Jul25010.jpg

Back