Tennis balls and dogs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
Well, I was really happy because I thought I'd finally found a toy that Scout got excited over. Kong makes some tiny, squeaky tennis balls just his size. I had searched after a friend gave him some tennis balls that were just too big for him to get in his mouth. The Kong ball was perfect, and he got more excited that I've seen him with any toy. He held it between his paws and bit it and made it squeak, and chewed it, tail wagging furiously. A couple of minutes later, I looked at him, and there was a big wad of yellow fiber hanging out of his mouth. Luckily, I was able to grab it before he swallowed it. It was rough and scrubby, like carpet fiber, and I can't imagine it would have been very good for his insides. I never realized that it was possible for a dog to chew the fuzz off a tennis ball, but apparently it is. So...I threw away the nice, little tennis balls, and again I'm on the lookout for toys that will get Scout's tail wagging.

Until then, I made him three different homemade dog biscuits. And yay, he loves them all. Here he is, with his tennis ball, until I had to yank it away from him. I can't wait until Spring, when I can take him outside to play in the yard. This is him wrapped in fleece, waiting for Spring and warm weather, when he doesn't need to wear layers and can run around in the sun, wheeeeeee! He is still the very best boy ever, every single day. When I go out and come home again, he just goes berserk, it cracks me up every time. Scout, aka "Squirt" and "Freckles", is already so much a part of my life that it seems like he's always been here. I still adore cats, but dogs are much more interactive, as I'm discovering every day. :)

biscuits.jpg

waiting for spring.jpg

tennisball.jpg

He is so stinking cute! Fortunately, my little Chi just plays with the balls. She tosses it and chases after it. She only likes her kong if I put some peanut butter in it. They do make small plastic balls with squeekers in them. I have a couple and she'll play with those too.

Yes, they will peel the tennis balls. Little brats. :) Kong makes some toys in that size that do not have a covering.

I'll be looking for some of those, although I think it may have been the fuzz that he got so exited about. I have other chewy toys that I got him, but he shows no interest. Figures, doesn't it?

My smallest Doxie will peel tennis balls then chew them apart. I've not found any toy she can't destroy so I just watch her and remove any destroyed bits.

It's possible that he wasn't intending to swallow it, but it freaked me out so much that I was afraid to let him keep it. You're lucky your Doxie doesn't swallow the bits.

He is so stinking cute! Fortunately, my little Chi just plays with the balls. She tosses it and chases after it. She only likes her kong if I put some peanut butter in it. They do make small plastic balls with squeekers in them. I have a couple and she'll play with those too.

Yes, Scout has one of those little bitty Kongs, and he loves it stuffed with peanut butter, too. And he loves carrots! I would have never thought to give him those, but it was suggested here, and he loves them. He gets one every day. And yes, he is cute, and is as sweet as he is cute.

smitten2.gif

She will swallow the bits. Fuzz, rubber, doesn't matter, she will eat it all.
You've not lived until you find your bottle of prescription meds open on the floor because your furry demons got in your purse or they find a jar of coconut oil, eat it all then vomit it all over the couch:headbanging:

You've not lived until you find your bottle of prescription meds open on the floor because your furry demons got in your purse or they find a jar of coconut oil, eat it all then vomit it all over the couch:headbanging:

My dog got into a tub of Vaseline...

Had the pleasure of trying to clean gooey sticky Vaseline diarrhea off a very fluffy butt for a few days.

have you tried braided rope, since he likes the fuzzy stuff? They make them for little dogs. They're great interactive toys because the dogs try to un braid or unknot them. Once they succeed, it's time to get a new one, but they can take a long time to get them frayed.

Very cute... my corgi girl's name is Scout! :)

Yes, he's named after one of my favorite characters ever, Scout from To Kill a Mocingbird. I'm fairly confident he hasn't read the book, so he doesn't know he's named after a girl. :D

Yikes! I'm lucky so far, and I say so far because I've only had Scout for almost a month, so we're still in the honeymoon phase, but he doesn't chew things or get into anything at all. So far.

My dog got into a tub of Vaseline...

Had the pleasure of trying to clean gooey sticky Vaseline diarrhea off a very fluffy butt for a few days.

O...M...G! :crazy:

have you tried braided rope, since he likes the fuzzy stuff? They make them for little dogs. They're great interactive toys because the dogs try to un braid or unknot them. Once they succeed, it's time to get a new one, but they can take a long time to get them frayed.

Tried them. He has no interest. Tried the rubbery, chewy toys. Likewise. His little skunk is the only toy he's ever picked up in his mouth, but he just sleeps with that one, he doesn't play with it. And of course, those tennis balls that he loved. Every time I pass a pet store I stop in and check out their toys. Sooner or later, I'm bound to find something he likes. By then, I'll have a pile of toys to donate to a shelter!

Some dogs are just not enamored with toys. I had a rat terrier that once she outgrew the teething stage wanted nothing to do with any toys whatsoever. The vet told me that unless they are hounds or retrievers, some dogs are just not fond of toys.

Try taking him into a petstore with you so he can pick his own toy.
If he really like tennis balls then let him play with them, just don't let him lay around and chew them. Teach him to fetch instead.

Back