Essential oil with soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello All - I own an essential oil company - would love to help with any essential oil questions and how to best utilize the oils

Thanks
JOYA

Hi!
You do know that a typical 5 lb batch of soap uses on the order of 50 ml of EO - your largest bottle of Lavender is 15 ml And for 15 ml Lavender EO you charge as much as a typical soap supplier would charge for 120 ml - so Im not sure this is the right target environment for you.

PS "Theraputic Grade" is not a real certification.

Edited to be nicer now that this advertisement has been moved to the proper subforum

Hello All - I own an essential oil company - would love to help with any essential oil questions and how to best utilize the oils

Thanks
JOYA

Last edited:
Aye, very expensive from what I see - far too high for soaping use. Also very little information on what the usage rates should be for each EO, which is far from ideal if you are aiming at soapers in a serious manner

Hello Seawolfe - thanks for your comment - here is how we define “therapeutic grade.” I do know that a commonly agreed upon definition of “therapeutic grade” in our industry includes that the oil be from a named species, single crop, single distillation, ie, not a mixture of aromatics from various areas, perhaps even various years, either organically grown or knowledgeably and ethically wildcrafted. And I know that all of our oils fit this definition. In almost every case we know the distiller personally and have personally visited them. We don’t buy from the large commercial brokers. We give you the information you need give you the country of origin, the specific chemotype as well as botanical species.

You may be buying larger quantities of oil for less $ - I agree - but I would imagine the main reason for the oils is for fragrance purposes ? But how about using a better grade oil for small batch purposes ? Say a face wash soap using oils that will help clear the skin ? Each of our oils are GC/MS tested to ensure the chemical components - which have the therapeutic properties of the oil are intact. This is also what is meant by - "therapeutic grade" - Agreed - the price may be higher due to these reasons - but you get what you pay more in most cases. I can probably buy a 5 pack of soap in the dollar store but im sure it is not a good of quality as the soap you are making.

Therapeutic Grade is not real? not sure what you mean by that comment - Yes, it is not a FDA approved term - However here is an example of what the term is from within the industry means -
*Lavender contains Linalyl Acetate (24-45%) and Linalol (25-38%) which have local analgesic and anesthetic effects. It also contains Terpinen-4-ol (2-6%) which, like Linalol, is an antibacterial agent. The Lavender you mentioned probably does not have the high levels that pure lavender should have as mentioned above - Thus would not be considered "therapeutic grade"
If a friend needed Lavender to heal a burn - this would be highly important.

Hope this info helps clarify ? Please let me know if I can answer any other questions

Thanks
Joya Essentials

..............You may be buying larger quantities of oil for less $ - I agree - but I would imagine the main reason for the oils is for fragrance purposes ? But how about using a better grade oil for small batch purposes ? Say a face wash soap using oils that will help clear the skin ? Each of our oils are GC/MS tested to ensure the chemical components - which have the therapeutic properties of the oil are intact. This is also what is meant by - "therapeutic grade" - Agreed - the price may be higher due to these reasons - but you get what you pay more in most cases. I can probably buy a 5 pack of soap in the dollar store but im sure it is not a good of quality as the soap you are making...................

Again, if you came here to seriously appeal to soapers and, with your original comment, help with any EO questions, it would help if you actually had researched soaping a little bit more. How much of those chemical components survive high temperatures, high pH levels and actually spending time in the company of NaOH?

Agreed - Great questions. To be honest - i am new when it comes to soaping - and am hoping to learn - can anyone help answer that question ? How much of those chemical components survive high temperatures, high pH levels and actually spending time in the company of NaOH?

Well, that was the point I was getting at - as a supplier to soapers, one that happens to suggest buying an above-market-price product because of these chemical componants, who would love to help with any essential oil questions we may have, you should be answering our questions about EOs, not the other way around.

Having googled the company name, I see "posts" on sites like questions.com that are little more than mini adverts couched as questions for the sole purpose of rankings and I get the feeling that coming here was a half-hearted attempt to access a market segment and also to have the name on some more pages.

If I start claiming that my soap can cure anything other than dirt, then could get in a great deal of trouble for marketing my soap as a drug.

Please see: http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/guidanceregulation/lawsregulations/ucm074201.htm#Soap

"This principle also holds true for "essential oils." For example, a fragrance marketed for promoting attractiveness is a cosmetic. But a fragrance marketed with certain "aromatherapy" claims, such as assertions that the scent will help the consumer sleep or quit smoking, meets the definition of a drug because of its intended use. Similarly, a massage oil that is simply intended to lubricate the skin and impart fragrance is a cosmetic, but if the product is intended for a therapeutic use, such as relieving muscle pain, it's a drug."

Some of the big MLM's just got busted for this.

As far as I know nobody knows if any therapeutic anything survives the sanctification process. And even if it did we cant claim our soap does anything other than clean. Unless we label as cosmetic, then labeling laws change. But nobody can claim a soap cures, treats or heals anything unless they are marketing as a drug under the FDA.

My argument against the term "therapeutic grade" is that it is completely unregulated and anyone can make that claim. As I have said before, I have decided to label my rum as therapeutic grade, and nobody can stop me :)

My argument against the term "therapeutic grade" is that it is completely unregulated and anyone can make that claim. As I have said before, I have decided to label my rum as therapeutic grade, and nobody can stop me :)

Well, the Dept. of Firearms, Tobacco and Alcohol probably, since distilling booze without the right taxes and payments. :D

As for the essential oils, thank you for the offer, but your prices are really far to high for soapmakers. :)

i would be more than happy to answer questions about EOs -How to use them, and make recommendations - however I am not a soap maker and can not comment on the soap making process. I will leave that to the soap making experts.:smile:

Having googled the company name, I see "posts" on sites like questions.com that are little more than mini adverts couched as questions for the sole purpose of rankings and I get the feeling that coming here was a half-hearted attempt to access a market segment and also to have the name on some more pages.

There was nothing half-hearted about it. It was a straight up advertisement. No information offered, asking for our input.

^^^ This exactly (all the above). You came here without any knowledge of our businesses/hobby etc. You are selling extremely expensive EO's that would cost any soap maker a fortune to use in their products.
Fortunately there are reputable knowledgeable companies with high quality EO's that we are able to purchase from without going broke.

If you had been smart, you would have come to us before making your company to ask what we would like in an essential oil company. Then we could have had a conversation that would be mutually beneficial going forward. You would also have done your homework in researching your competitors' prices.

i would be more than happy to answer questions about EOs -How to use them, and make recommendations - however I am not a soap maker and can not comment on the soap making process. I will leave that to the soap making experts.:smile:
Then you should have done your home work before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back