New Soaper in Sunny LA-LA-Land

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmadtux

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new member and new to soapmaking. I live in the Southbay area of L.A.

I've wanted to start making soap for at least 5 years but I've been interested in soap and bath & body product creation since first watching my very favorite movie, "Practical Magic." I know that must seem so silly, but my husband has taken an interest in what I'm doing because his favorite movie is "Fight Club" (eyes rolling).

I've only made 3 batches so far. 1 CP that turned out okay...it's a little too oily so maybe it needs to cure longer or maybe recipe had too much superfat.

2 HP batches. 1st one turned out great, although with more of that "rustic" appearance that can sometimes happen with HP. The only bad thing is the FO I used doesn't smell at ALL like what the name of it would indicate so I don't really like it, but I'm going to save for laundry soap at a later date. 2nd batch of HP had the addition of coconut milk, kaolin clay, and liquid colorant plus a heavenly FO that I can't get enough of. My recipe had a built in superfat so I didn't add any additional. This one cooked too hot and seized. I didn't try to continue to cook because it seemed like it was burning. The soap qualities are great--creamy lather, bubbly, cleansing but not stripping, conditioning but not greasy. It's just ugly. It looks like green pudding with chunks of bananas in it.

I'm getting ready to try CPOP next. If it works I'm going to stick with that method for a while. It kind of seems like the best of both worlds.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know the members here and learning all I can from the expert soapers here. Thanks for having me!!

Jennifer

Welcome, mrsmadtux! And, do tell....what we're the fragrances you used? And, don't worry, we've all made puked up banana soap at some point in our journeys! Don't let that deter you. We love pictures here, and we're always willing to help troubleshoot if we're given details. Happy soaping!

Love the description of the chunks of banana soap. You made soap! Bravo! Welcome to Soap Club :)

Hi Mrsmadtux and welcome! Everyone has their favorite way of making soap but we only know that after we've tried various types. Some like CP over HP, gel over non-gel, color over no color, etc. You're experimenting to make soap that suits your personal preferences which is exactly right!

Welcome to the fun addiction that is soaping!:bunny:

Howdy neighbor (Long Beach here). Do check out the soap collective meetups that Carolyn linked to upstream. Those are tons of fun.
The nice thing about ugly soaps is that they are still soap :)

Welcome, mrsmadtux! And, do tell....what we're the fragrances you used? And, don't worry, we've all made puked up banana soap at some point in our journeys! Don't let that deter you. We love pictures here, and we're always willing to help troubleshoot if we're given details. Happy soaping!

Thanks Jewels621! The fragrances I used are: 1. CP - Essential Oils, 2. HP #1 with FO I hated - Tranquil Spa from Elements Bath & Body Supply, 3. HP #2 that smells and feels divine but seized - Marine Spa from Save on Scents.

Here's the pictures of my creations...my CP batch came out beautiful. Smooth and creamy appearance. Both HP are more rustic looking.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Howdy neighbor (Long Beach here). Do check out the soap collective meetups that Carolyn linked to upstream. Those are tons of fun.
The nice thing about ugly soaps is that they are still soap :)

Yes I just joined! I'm SOOO excited for those!

Almost all sea air type fo's will accelerate quickly. Your soaps look fine to me

Ahh....I was wondering about that. Well, more so that it seems I read so many comments on YouTube videos about fragrance oils accelerating. It was making me wonder how they are still in business if they all accelerate. But if its only certain types I guess that's a different story. I know there's plenty of people who don't panic when they see a seize coming and just put it back on the crockpot calmly and proceed. Haha.

Love the description of the chunks of banana soap. You made soap! Bravo! Welcome to Soap Club :)

Thank you Millie! Here's something funny. My husband travels for work and while at the Club Lounge at the Marriott in Seattle, he noticed some cheese set out on the appetizer trays that looked somewhat familiar.

Pic #1 is my banana soap

Pic #2 is the mint & dill cheese from his appetizers.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG-2252.jpg

My husband travels for work and while at the Club Lounge at the Marriott in Seattle, he noticed some cheese set out on the appetizer trays that looked somewhat familiar.

Pic #1 is my banana soap

Pic #2 is the mint & dill cheese from his appetizers.
Hilarious! Thanks for the giggle! I needed that today. :)

Back