de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really can't make a recommendation on how much BTMS and cetyl alcohol to use. My test mixture is no different than the plain babassu + mag hydroxide mix as far as being more glidy, and that was my point when adding these ingredients.

My current idea is that it's mainly the powder that is making the mixture so non-glidy. I'm getting good odor control at 30% Mag hydroxide -- as good as when I used 50% -- so that's a step in the right direction.

So the melt point has gone up, the odor control is just as good, but glidy-ness ... not so much. This is a work in progress, definitely.

Edit: This is the recipe I trialed --

Mg(OH)2 powder 30 gram
Babassu 55 gram (melt temp 76 F)
Cetyl alcohol 14 gram (melt temp 120 F)
BTMS 14 gram (melt temp 140 F)
Fragrance 0.5 gram

The melt point of this mix is below 125 F -- I'm guessing maybe 110 to 120 F.

This amount will fill up one regular oval deodorant tube (the kind most commercial antiperspirants are sold in) plus one mini oval deo tube (about 0.4 ounce (12 gram) capacity)

Mg(OH)2 powder 30 gram
Fragrance 0.5 gram

The melt point of this mix is below 125 F -- I'm guessing maybe 110 to 120 F. This amount will fill up one regular oval deodorant tube (the kind most commercial antiperspirants are sold in) plus one mini oval deo tube (about 0.4 ounce (12 gram) capacity)
Thank You.gif

7rI1Cu7b8dvgAEGGGCAAQboAf8DpbFB97drzxcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I really can't make a recommendation on how much BTMS and cetyl alcohol to use. My test mixture is no different than the plain babassu + mag hydroxide mix as far as being more glidy, and that was my point when adding these ingredients.

My current idea is that it's mainly the powder that is making the mixture so non-glidy. I'm getting good odor control at 30% Mag hydroxide -- as good as when I used 50% -- so that's a step in the right direction.

So the melt point has gone up, the odor control is just as good, but glidy-ness ... not so much. This is a work in progress, definitely.

Mg(OH)2 powder 30 gram
Fragrance 0.5 gram

The melt point of this mix is below 125 F -- I'm guessing maybe 110 to 120 F.

This amount will fill up one regular oval deodorant tube (the kind most commercial antiperspirants are sold in) plus one mini oval deo tube (about 0.4 ounce (12 gram) capacity)

Thank you for this DeeAnna - much appreciated!

I've been having good luck with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in a spritzer bottle. It couldn't be simpler and once it's dry, the vinegar smell leaves.

too dry, I mean no glide, I need to make one with 3% of Cetyl and will see..... Bmts 50 is a very talc like emulsifier so is Emulsimulse, Ewax seems to be a bit greaser so it goes easier on skin. That' my impression but i need to make it first then I will report :)

Last edited:
Bmts 50 is a very talk like emulsifier so is Emulsimulse, Ewax seems to be a bit greaser so it goes easier on skin.
I think autocorrect created another classic boo boo. :) I agree about the BTMS vs regular Ewax... BTMS has a talc like feel to me too, which I like in some applications, and it doesn't have the glidey feel that I would expect from Ewax. IF I ever get around to trying this, I have some sunflower wax on hand that I want to use. Looking forward to reading your results, Dahila.

Okay, thank you for explaining. You might be right, Dahlia. I'm curious to see how your trial works!

Question too much mg?

Does anyone worry about absorbing too much mg through the skin? Since I've used mine, I've been having headaches and bp issues.... I've been reading that it is possible to get too much mg..... do you think it could be my deodorant? If it is that stinks since I do believe this combo works..... stopped using the mg-babassu oils deodorant today and already feeling better w normal bp...

Thanks!

Roseanne

Funny but i too have been having issues. I seem to be breaking out in itchy bumps all over my body. I think i will go deodorant free for a weekend (don't want to stink out my work buddies) and see if the "hives" go down. I sure hope it isnt the mg because i think it works great and i bought two big bags of it!

I've been having good luck with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in a spritzer bottle. It couldn't be simpler and once it's dry, the vinegar smell leaves.

I might have to try this if i am reacting to the magnesium. I do have lots of apple cider vinegar. What made you try this for deodorant?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand from reading different medical .edu sites, some forms of magnesium, such as Epsom salts, can be absorbed by the skin, but so far I have not read of the same being true of magnesium hydroxide.

The most that I have been able to find so far (from what I consider to be legit sources that have actually conducted tests and published their testing parameters and conclusions), is info from the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology) in their publication entitled, Toxicological Risks of Selected Flame Retardant Chemicals .

If you click on the above link and scroll through the chapter, you'll see where it states that there is no information to be found in regards to the dermal absorption of magnesium hydroxide in either humans or experimental animals, that there are no studies to be found that investigate the distribution of magnesium hydroxide cations in relation to dermal or inhalation exposure in humans or experimental animals, or that investigate the biotransformation of magnesium hydroxide in humans or animals after exposure by any route, etc...

Further down under the heading of "Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization" you'll see where they did, however, happen to conduct dermal tests (the parameters of which are explained in chapter 3 ) in relation to the exposure of skin in direct contact with furniture upholstlery treated with magnesium hydroxide as a fire retardant. Here are their conclusions:

"The subcommittee concluded that Mg(OH)2 is an ionic substance and, therefore, is essentially not absorbed through the skin...."

And down at the bottom under the heading of "Data Gaps and Research Needs" it was concluded that no further research was needed for assessing health risks as they relate to dermal or inhalation exposure to magnesium hydroxide, because their hazard indices (explained under the "Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization" heading) were less than 1.

I don't know if that helps or not, but that's the only legit/tested info on the subject that I've been able to glean.

If you find that you are having a reaction to the Mg(OH)2, by all means discontinue for a week or so and see what happens. For what it's worth, I for one have not experienced any adverse affects to date (been using my deodorant for about 1 year now).

IrishLass :)

the reason for itchy bumbs is not MH, change your detergent , soap, lotion. itchy bumbs can be caused by ; Stress, yes stress, food allergies, contact allergies (had it after changing my deteregent ) presence of pet in house, yes you can get allergies (contact ) when the dog or cat sleep in your bed, it does not matter that you never had it before, Iam using it for at lest 6 months so is my granchild (eczema) and none of us break out with anything. Irishlass is right discharge it for a 7 days and observe what is happening. Take a bath with addition of oatmeal

Thank you ladies for all the info. I too tried researching using magnesium transdermally on the net and came up with nothing. I did read Irish Lass's report and it was the same conclusion...nothing with regards to transdermal use. I will discontinue for a week and see what happens. I use an earth friendly detergent, make my own soap (coconut oil, babassu oil, almond oil, and lard...unscented), and my deodorant is the babassu/mg mix unscented.

I will figure this out one way or another.

Funny but i too have been having issues. I seem to be breaking out in itchy bumps all over my body. I think i will go deodorant free for a weekend (don't want to stink out my work buddies) and see if the "hives" go down. I sure hope it isnt the mg because i think it works great and i bought two big bags of it!
Thanks for posting this! I was bothered with a hives-like rash on my upper chest and cluster-bumps on my face -- one place at the hairline on my forehead; also between the brows on my forehead; also on my left cheek.

I went deodorant free right after reading your post. The facial bumps completely disappeared within 3 days -- and they had been hanging around for a couple of weeks. The rash on my chest has receded to just a line, shoulder to shoulder at the base of the neck. Weird.

I never suspected the deodorant. I thought it was something I was ingesting -- beet juice or a supplement -- I've been trying a few different things. I was really concerned because I've always been blessed with clear skin... no teenage acne... no eczema or psoriasis.. nothing. I'm so happy to have my face back! LOL

Thanks for posting this! I was bothered with a hives-like rash on my upper chest and cluster-bumps on my face -- one place at the hairline on my forehead; also between the brows on my forehead; also on my left cheek.

I went deodorant free right after reading your post. The facial bumps completely disappeared within 3 days -- and they had been hanging around for a couple of weeks. The rash on my chest has receded to just a line, shoulder to shoulder at the base of the neck. Weird.

I never suspected the deodorant. I thought it was something I was ingesting -- beet juice or a supplement -- I've been trying a few different things. I was really concerned because I've always been blessed with clear skin... no teenage acne... no eczema or psoriasis.. nothing. I'm so happy to have my face back! LOL

Zany, was it the mag/bab deodorant you had trouble with or a different recipe? How long were you using it before you developed a rash?

My mom is excited to try the mag/bab but I feel a little guilty always using her as my guinea pig. I hope if any one else has had issues you'll let us know (and save my precious mother).

Zany, was it the mag/bab deodorant you had trouble with or a different recipe? How long were you using it before you developed a rash?
Yes, it was the mag/bab deodorant. I didn't make it. I got it from another member who generously sent me a full size container so I could try it before making it. I've been using it since mid-June, if I remember correctly. I really like it! I don't remember when the rash started or the breakouts on my face, and I forgot to mention, my back also, but it's been a month or two or three? Not sure. There was so much going on family-wise, that the last couple of months are just a blur. I wish I could be more precise, but I actually didn't think the deodorant was the cause until I stopped using it and the rash and breakouts went away.

ETA: I think I'm probably allergic to the magnesium. I can't take mag/zinc/calcium supplements -- they don't like me.

Latest posts

Back