May 2017 SMF Soap Challenge - fluid acrylic cell pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes soap1daze! For the owls I poured around 140, perhaps a tiny bit hotter. :)

Alright, I posted an entry. I did cut it too fresh, I guess I should have waited a couple more days, but there it is .....

I had also made this challenge with MP. I liked it more, but my top buckled when I put the cells on top, so is why I did not post it in the other thread. Olive oil base, with wild watermelon FO, hence the colors!

DSCN1446_zpsbrt7atrd.jpg

DSCN1454_zpslkrs2arn.jpg

1. dibbles - I've done this with paint - super fun!

2. Newbie-love me some new techniques

3. Artemis- I have a vision forming in my mind. I hope I have time to do it!

4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.

5. SunRiseArts - going in scared !

6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in

7. Mommycarlson - this is way above my paygrade, but I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in! I think......

8. DeeAnna -- Okay, now I'm ~really~ curious.

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!!

10. Yay! I managed to get my soap made!

Saponista, are you #11?

4. BattleGnome - I finally have more than 1 day off in a row! Fingers crossed I can get stuff done.

6.) Omneya -What's another nervous breakdown gonna do to me. They haven't killed me yet..I am in

7. Mommycarlson - this is way above my paygrade, but I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in! I think......

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!! :wink:

10. earlene - If I find motivation in the next couple of days, I will join y'all. I got pretty sick on our recent roadtrip and recovery has been slow-going.

So I watched a few videos in preparation and to get motivation, then today started setting up. Using up the last of my master batch lye, I had to add in a bit more. With plans to make more masterbatch NaOH solution, I opened up my air-tight lye bucket and found all I have in there are 4 bottles of KOH, not the usual lots of NaOH and a bottle or two of KOH. Before leaving on our roadtrip I chose not to re-order NaOH because I didn't want to run into the problem of delivery not arriving before we left. But luckily, I did have a bottle of Drain opener 100% lye crystals from the last time I bought some while traveling. So I can make the soap.

While the lye solution cools, I thought I'd post my progress, which isn't much as of yet. But at least I have started!

I figured as much. No problem.

So my wafer cell thingies are in the oven as is the first base layer. I don't really like the look of layered soap that much unless it's gradient color layers, although I have done some a couple of times. But I didn't want a plain base layer, so I put a lot of color into this layer and let loose my inner Jackson Pollack. It was fun. I may want to take that slab and turn it upside down to the top of it is the bottom of the soap, but it may be too thin to try that without it breaking if I take it out of the mold. So I probably won't do that.

Considering what a few of you said about making too many cells, I tried to keep the number of wafers to a minimum, but still probably ended up with more than twice what I'll need. So maybe I'll do a double layer with wafers in the middle. Maybe not. There's not much time left before the entry thread closes, so I want to be able to cut these on the 27th. I won't be soaping again tonight. Gotta wait 'till tomorrow to continue.

I did drop ETOH droplets onto the top of the first base layer and I really really like how it made the mica shimmery on the surface. Can't wait to see how it looks after gel.

I took my spare cells and made some individual confetti soaps just to use them up.

My extra cells were still soft enough that I could smoosh them into small patties for washing up at the sink. They look a little like confetti soap, only more rustic.

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!! ;)

10. earlene - If I find motivation in the next couple of days, I will join y'all. I got pretty sick on our recent roadtrip and recovery has been slow-going.

11. Saponista - I managed to get my soap done yay!!! :)

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!! ;)

11. Saponista - Yay I managed to get my soap made! :)

9. Cherrycoke216 - I'm always the one checking in late. Come on, folks, come join us... Let's learn something new together!!!

11. Saponista - yay I managed to get my soap made!

My soap is done and cut. I took some photos before the cut, but the battery in my camera was so low I can't take the cut pictures yet.

So the cut bars, which look way better than I expected, are sitting on a rack under a fan. I'll get some photos later after the camera battery re-charges and post in the entry thread.

Although I almost didn't join the challenge because, first I was traveling and didn't get back home until the middle of the month, and then because I came down with a powerful bad uncontrollable lingering cough didn't feel working with lye or soap batter was wise, and also I wasn't really a fan of this technique, I re-considered after the cough started to finally diminish in intensity and decided to try my hand at it in spite of all that. I am glad I did. Thank you for the challenge, KC. It really was something new to try that I have never done before, and I was able to come up with a variation that didn't end up with the non-cohesive layers that I feared I would have and not like. Sometimes it really pays off to try something new that one doesn't think will be worth the trouble. It really was worth the effort.

I am really happy with how the bars look from the top, the bottom and the sides. And I got to use my super large Boot Box Slab mold. I really should buy a regular slab mold, and in fact have one saved in my shopping cart on Etsy, but just haven't felt the impetus to place the order yet.

Thanks for playing earlene. You have until midnight tonight to post in the entry thread, so no worries.

Am I missing something? I thought it's May 27 now in USA?( coz I'm at time zone GMT+8 ( May 28 am 11:30 at the time being now)

Challenge Entry Thread Closes May 28, 2017 (11:59pm CST)

Anyway I'm doing a quick finish see if I can enter. :p

I'm sorry you are right. Closes tomorrow. I've been working strange shifts for the last 3 weeks and it has me all messed up

I'm sorry you are right. Closes tomorrow. I've been working strange shifts for the last 3 weeks and it has me all messed up

Woohoo!!! Thanks for clarifying! ( insert weird geeky soapy dance ) :bunny:
I don't know computer engineer have to work shifts...thought it would be like a 9-5 job. It must be tiresome.

Woohoo!!! Thanks for clarifying! ( insert weird geeky soapy dance ) :bunny:
I don't know computer engineer have to work shifts...thought it would be like a 9-5 job. It must be tiresome.

Yeah if I was a developer that would be a normal shift. But I am a support person, so I am on call and have to work late shifts when we do upgrades and maintenance on the system I have to work hours when the system is slowest. Normally it is only one or two times a month, but the last 6 weeks has been pretty bad.

Can anyone see the photos and the voting on this challenge? I'd love to see them. I'll put a photo in the regular photos of the one I did. Thanks!

Can anyone see the photos and the voting on this challenge? I'd love to see them. I'll put a photo in the regular photos of the one I did. Thanks!

The entry thread has the photos of the entries: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63681

Voting opens tomorrow after the entry thread closes. KC will send a link for voting to the folks who signed up for the challenge. So only those who signed up will see the voting.

Since you couldn't sign up, but wanted to try the challenge, I think posting your photo here on this thread is fine, or perhaps you could put a link to the post in the photo section. I'd love to see your soap.

Back