Discoloration due to FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently used the Gingerbread Brulee FO from Rustic Escentuals. Had no trouble with it during the soaping process, but after a few days of curing the white has turned to gray and the orange has turned to dark brown. The website states that the vanillin content is 0, but the soap is sure acting like there is vanillin in it.

Can anything else make soap discolor this bad?

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

Yes, there can be other things, but I don't know what it would be in this case. What color was the FO? I'm always suspect of anything not clear, even EOs. If it looks orange, yellow, brown, etc. it may have an influence.

I would really wonder about the no vanilla, being the fragrance is Gingerbread Brulee. Maybe they goofed, but as CaraBou mentioned other things can cause color change, and I have several fo's that change without having vanilla content.

As others have mentioned, vanilla/vanillin content is not the only contributors to soaps turning. This is why I use VS in almost every one of my soaps, and so far, (knock on wood) I have been able to keep all of my soaps discoloration free.

Yes, VS as in vanilla stabilizer. It can sometimes turn the batter a very bright yellow, and will seem like it is discoloring your colors, (like turning pink to orange) but once gel and saponification have occurred your original colors come back.

Would you mind sharing your procedure for adding VS? I’ve tried it in the past with marginal results. I still always seem to get some browning around the edges.

Would you mind sharing your procedure for adding VS? I’ve tried it in the past with marginal results. I still always seem to get some browning around the edges.

Whose VS do you use?
I use BCN's VS - which I find to work much better than any other stabilizer I've tried. It will hold the discoloration at bay for up to 9 months to a year on my heavy vanilla content FO soaps, and much longer than that will less vanilla.

I add the amount needed (1:1 per FO) directly to my oils, and make sure it's mixed well before adding my lye solution... Easy peasy...

You can see this topic for pictures of a soap I made with VS, and also one that IrishLass made as well...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65062

Whose VS do you use?
I use BCN's VS - which I find to work much better than any other stabilizer I've tried. It will hold the discoloration at bay for up to 9 months to a year on my heavy vanilla content FO soaps, and much longer than that will less vanilla.

I add the amount needed (1:1 per FO) directly to my oils, and make sure it's mixed well before adding my lye solution... Easy peasy...

You can see this topic for pictures of a soap I made with VS, and also one that IrishLass made as well...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=65062

I'm not familiar with BCN...

I use Wholesale Supplies Plus VS. I know they have a reputation for not having the most high quality products. I'll have to try adding the VS into the oils before adding the lye.

I'm not familiar with BCN...

I use Wholesale Supplies Plus VS. I know they have a reputation for not having the most high quality products. I'll have to try adding the VS into the oils before adding the lye.

I've used WSP's VS and it never worked for me.
BCN = Bitter Creek North. Better known for their candle making supplies, however, it's the only VS I've ever used that actually works for more than a couple months.

So I sent a message to Rustic Escentuals and asked them to check into their Gingerbread Brulee, and I just got the reply...

"Apparently the website was incorrect. There is actually 5% vanillin in that FO. We have pulled the vanillin content from the site for the moment and are working this week to make sure everything is correct. :)"

Well, now we know. Guess I will just give these bars away...

^^Well that would explain it! Did they offer you another EO or commensurate compensation? Seems appropriate, not only for your trouble but also for helping them prevent other dissatisfied customers. Not the end of the world if they didn't, but I'm always curious how well companies stand behind their products.

^^Well that would explain it! Did they offer you another EO or commensurate compensation? Seems appropriate, not only for your trouble but also for helping them prevent other dissatisfied customers. Not the end of the world if they didn't, but I'm always curious how well companies stand behind their products.

No, they didn’t offer any compensation. Just said thanks for letting us know.

Back