Almost Had It

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello yall! I come seeking advice. So I tried my soap for the first time and I believe its been curing for about 3 weeks now. Did I try it too soon? It was creamy and lathered amazingly but it felt like it cleansed a little too well because after my hands felt a bit stripped. Any suggestions on how to add moisture without having to shift my recipe too much. I really think it worked exactly as I wanted minus the moisture aspect. Thanks in advance!

3 weeks is still pretty early. A 4 week cure is considered the minimum, but most around here would recommend 6 weeks or longer.

Also, soap will never feel moisturizing. It's always going to be cleansing - but shouldn't feel like it's totally stripping the oils from your skin and leaving your skin parched and dry.

The most likely cause of a stripping recipe would be high coconut oil with a low-ish superfat.

I would stick it back on the curing rack and wait another couple weeks to try. Even if after repeated waiting and testing you decide this recipe is too drying; some of that will be alleviated with a long cure time.

Without knowing what your recipe is, I would suggest dropping the percentage of your coconut oil and maybe increasing your superfat by 1%-2%.

If you would care to share the recipe you used, maybe we can help tweak it if it is on the higher cleansing side.

As others have said, a recipe would help diagnose the stripping aspect. Could be it's not cured long enough, could be that and a combination of the oils used in your recipe. Could be too low of a superfat %. Could be a lot of things - however, without a recipe, it is almost impossible to tell.

As others have said, coconut oil can be stripping, however, I find that it's not as stripping when by itself with a higher %, as when it is combined with a high % of Olive Oil.

I think it was the cinnamon! My other bars are perfect! They lather REALLY well, they have a nice slip and they’re not drying. The others had a line of cinnamon on them because well I’m just trying stuff and learning.

Latest posts

Back