My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, Fuzz-Juzz! It's hard for me to be able to say exactly what the problem might be since as I have never (to date) encountered the problems in my formula that you are experiencing, but I'm wondering if the changes you made to the CO and olive proportions, and also possibly the way the stearic was added was just enough to throw things off track? ....... Oh- another thought came to me just now- did you add the PS80? If not, that could be the reason why the stearic keeps coming out of suspension....or if you did add it, maybe you need to add a little more. The PS80 is a pretty critical ingredient in the formula to help keeps things together with the higher superfat %. I wouldn't give up just yet- maybe all that's needed is just a little bit more of it (PS80).

IrishLass :)

By the way, here is the easier alternative to the Pharmacist's Method of dissolving the KOH for the formula in this tutorial. For lack of a better term, I guess I'll refer to it as the 'easier water/glycerin method':

So far, I have only used this easier method of dissolving the KOH once for this particular formula. All went well with it, but I need to mention that if you use this easier method, the normal dilution rate that is spelled out earlier in this tutorial no longer applies and will need to be adjusted....

Here is the adjusted dilution rate for my Creamy Cocoa Shea formula when using the easy water/glycerin method of dissolving the KOH :

Distilled water: 31% of my finished paste weight
Sodium Lactate in 60% solution: 3% of my finished paste weight
Tetrasodium EDTA in 39% solution: 1.96% of my finished paste weight
Stearic Acid: 3% of my finished paste weight
PS80: .15% of my finished paste weight

Dilute in the same manner as spelled out earlier in my instructions, but use the above dilution rates instead.

The easy water/glycerin method of dissolving the KOH:

Dissolve the 98g KOH called for in this tutorial in 98g of distilled water. Once it is dissolved (takes only a minute or 2), add the full recipe amount of glycerin to it (10.4 oz/294.8g). Give it a stir to combine, then add it into the warmed oils/fats. Quick and easy-peasy!

Here is how things went for me when I did the above:

After I poured my KOH/water/glycerin solution into my warmed oils/fats, I hand-whisked for 13 minutes before I switched over to my stick-blender (totally off the heat from here on out, by the way). During those 13 minutes that I hand-whisked, the temperature of the batter dropped from 149F/65C to 125F/52C and not much looked to be happening during that time except for a very slight thickening of the batter. In terms of appearance- the batter looked like slightly thickened light-beer. Continued with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring (more hand-stirring than stick-blending, btw).......

Three minutes later (at the 16 minute mark), the temp went down to 120F/49C and the batter got thicker and took on a milky/opaque look. Continued in the same manner with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring.......

Two minutes later (at the 18 minute mark), the batter started developing some large bubbles laying on the surface from the stick-blender, but they'd all go back down whenever I hand-stirred. Continued in the same manner with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring.......

Two minutes later (at the 20 minute mark), the temp started going back up (121F/49.4C) and the batter started to gradually get thicker (only very slightly so). Continued in the same manner with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring.......

Five minutes later (at the 25 minute mark), the temp went up to 125F/52C and the batter was at a nice med-thick trace. Continued in the same manner with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring.......

One minute later (at the 26 minute mark), the temp increased to 127F/53C and the batter started thinning out considerably, but it was still opaque, and it had big bubbles on the surface that did not stir down. Continued in the same manner with the intermittant stick-blending/hand-stirring.......

Two minutes later (at the 28 minute mark) Lawrence Welk came for a visit (i.e., I had flying bubbles, lol). The temp. was 130F/54.4C, the batter was still somewhat thin (barely a light trace, but completely emulsified), and it was still opaque, and it looked like the milky/yellowish color of vanilla pudding. I covered my soaping pot with plastic wrap and started cleaning up my laboratory (kitchen).

Eleven minutes later (at the 39 minute mark), I happened to look over at my pot and it all still looked the same, but I picked up the pot and gave it a swirl just to see how the batter was doing, and it wouldn't budge! We had paste! WooHoo! Talk about quick!

I wish I had taken pictures, but I decided it was probably better to focus my attention on taking temps and writing everything down in real time as I went along, etc.... Maybe next time....

Wow thank you again for extended reply. :)
That was one speedy soap paste. Thanks for pointing out the difference in dilution, I would never think the way KOH is dissolved matters.
I did use Pharmacist way of dissolving KOH. I heat it slowly on the stove and it doesn't need to go really hot to dissolve.
So, I did dilute it without SL and EDTA as I understood that they are not really necessary. Maybe that was the first mistake.
I did add enough PS80. All measured out same as with Stearic acid. The way I mixed them in could be the issue. But apart from those little specks that appeared afterwards, everything looked fine at first.
The difference between OO and CO was only 10%, but like you said, that could've done something too.
Or just combination of everything. Maybe one of my ingredients was off or something. I guess we'll never know.
And then I manage to dilute it too much as the paste wasn't diluting as fast as I thought it would.
I tried to fix it so many times I think I should just leave it and try making another batch.
It's just one of those times when soap gremlins are really hard at work.
I think next time, I should stick 100% to a new recipe. ;)
I don't want anyone to be discouraged from doing this LS as it obviously worked for you and others.

I think next time, I should stick 100% to a new recipe.
“Imitation is not just the sincerest form of flattery - it's the sincerest form of learning.”
― George Bernard Shaw

I think people too frequently go off the reservation when trying new things. If you take someone's recipe and change it, it's no longer someone's recipe so you can't expect it to behave the same way. I always adminish folks I teach to do exactly what I tell them once, then after they have some success they can make whatever mistakes they want. :)

"Eleven minutes later (at the 39 minute mark), I happened to look over at my pot and it all still looked the same, but I picked up the pot and gave it a swirl just to see how the batter was doing, and it wouldn't budge! We had paste! WooHoo! Talk about quick!"

I take it that once you get the paste from the "quick method" you proceed on to the dilution steps as normal and only need to adjust the distilled water rate you add.

Thanks Irish Lass

After going two months without soaping due too moving and getting used to the role of being a caregiver I decided to to make IL's liquid soap. I had made it once before but it didn't turn out nearly as beautiful as hers.
I just re-read the tutorial word for word I got busy and am thrilled with the results.

It was just the boost I needed. I even started a second batch and it is changing right now to the creamy goodness it will be.

20160503_010307_resized.jpg

20160503_141440_resized.jpg

It looks just like mine! :) It makes me so happy it turned out well for you the second time around. You made my day. :)

It looks just like mine! :) It makes me so happy it turned out well for you the second time around. You made my day. :)

No you made mine, but I do fault you for starting yet another addiction. My gunie pigs [family] LOVE IT.

The 2 best things about it are no cure time and I separate them into 8 0z bottles before i add the scent. I double your recipe and can make a lot of soap cheaper than bar soap and individually scent each bottle the each family members request. Plus less cost in EO's and FO's because I don't have to use nearly as much.
OMG [sorry for sounding like a teen] but the lather is so rich, creamy and plentiful.
so thanks again but shame on you for this terrible addiction you gave me.

OK now my question.I havent been making this for long so I am wondering if you think I should add somw germall + before giving it away, sorry, there should be a question mark there but it doesnt work.

What Susie said is the same for me ^^^. I don't add any preservatives to mine either, and I only make it for myself and select family members.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the soap. :)

May I add a little advice? I have made a lot of batches (I have a large family that loves it) anyway I miscalculated and added to much water to a batch so I added some paste to the jar and put it back in the pot on a low rolling boil_ It exploded in the water> SO IF YOU EVER NEED TO REHEAT IT WOULD BE BEST TO USE A NEW JAR> It is the only time it happened to me so I think the Bail jar was weakened by a second boil_ oh I was so upset_it was sixteen oz of good soap I lost:
sorry about my post< my keyboard is fried>

May I add a little advice? I have made a lot of batches (I have a large family that loves it) anyway I miscalculated and added to much water to a batch so I added some paste to the jar and put it back in the pot on a low rolling boil_ It exploded in the water> SO IF YOU EVER NEED TO REHEAT IT WOULD BE BEST TO USE A NEW JAR> It is the only time it happened to me so I think the Bail jar was weakened by a second boil_ oh I was so upset_it was sixteen oz of good soap I lost:
sorry about my post< my keyboard is fried>

Did you have the jar on a dishcloth or rack to keep it off the bottom?

Yes I had a rack at the bottom, its possible the heats was to high< but it wasnt at a fULL rOLLInG bOIL. MINE gOES FrOM ONE TO TEN aND IT WAs ON sIx WHEN IT BUSTED< I JUST THINK IT WAS MAY BEcAUSE THE JAR HAD BE BROUGHT TO A BOIL ONCE BEFoRE A CouPLE TIMEs>

@LBUSSY_ IF IT WERE ONLY THAT EASY> IT IS A LAPTOP First of all or rEallY A NOTEBOOK> I TREID THE ONSCREEN KEYBoARd IT IT IS DOING THE SAME THING< I PLUGGED A NEW KEYBOARD INTO IT AND IT DOES THE SAME THINK SO IT IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM< THANKFULLY IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY> BUT THEY ARE SENDING ME A BOX TO MAIL IT TO THEM AND THAT WILL SEVEN TO TEN DAYS BefoRE IT IS EVEN sHIPPED BACk.

Irishlass, I have a question about adding the stearic acid to soap dilution. The "Baker's Percentage"
Do you add stearic acid with your water, SL and Edta, PS80?

I add the stearic acid and PS80 to my canning jar along with the paste and set aside momentarily. Then I combine the water, sodium lactate, and EDTA to a small pot and heat to boiling, then I pour it immediately into my jar of paste/stearic/PS80 before covering and setting the jar in my boiling water bath.

Latest posts

Back