Formula Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piedmont

Reaction score
It's been a few years since here and since making soap. I use lard, lye and the question is. What is a good formula or percent fat. I guess it's the percent fat which is good for tempering the clean. I think I used 6 or 7 % fat for my formula. Also for learning what is too low and too high fat percent?

I usually go with 5% superfat for my soap. With a high coconut oil soap, I use a higher superfat percentage.

It all depends on your recipe. If you are making 100% lard soap, which is what your first post implies, I'd use a 2% or 3% superfat. Lard soap is already mild and does not lather too well, so IMO you only need a bit of superfat to ensure safety but not so much superfat that it cuts the lather even more.

If you ask me, super-fat % is a very personal thing based how their soap makes their skin feel, among other factors. For some folks 3% perfect, but for others it is too low. How did your soap feel to your skin with a 6% or 7% super-fat?

IrishLass :)

If you ask me, super-fat % is a very personal thing based how their soap makes their skin feel, among other factors. For some folks 3% perfect, but for others it is too low. How did your soap feel to your skin with a 6% or 7% super-fat?

I can't answer that right now, I can't remember what it was using, I have it written down some where, if I find it I'll be able to answer. But it felt good too me, not crazy thick lather, but I felt clean and didn't get dry skin, actually a nice step above say a Dove bar of commercial soap for softening skin.

Since you cannot remember what your super-fat was, I would suggest starting out with general of super-fat of 5%, which is what many soapers start out with (and even continue to use), and then tweak the super-fat up or down if needed in your subsequent batches from there.

If I can be so bold as to recommend a recipe to get a better soap than 100% lard, here is what I use:

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%
Superfat 5%

Hi Susie,

If you were to replace lard with palm or shea butter would your other percentages change? That looks like a nice recipe. I have been making my recipes at least 45% OO but am trying to rethink how I do things.

Thanks!

If I can be so bold as to recommend a recipe to get a better soap than 100% lard, here is what I use:

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%
Superfat 5%

Looks like my recipe. :think: Haha!

I go for 20% OO and 60% lard, but otherwise it's spot on identical to my most common base recipe.

I was making 100% lard bars for a friend a few years ago. We had a falling-out, so I had a bunch of bars left that I decided to start using lately. Suds and bubbles like crazy. It surprised me, because I was going to use them as some sort of imbeds and just decided to try it first for my own personal use.

Hi Susie,

If you were to replace lard with palm or shea butter would your other percentages change? That looks like a nice recipe. I have been making my recipes at least 45% OO but am trying to rethink how I do things.

Thanks!

Scooter-I have recently done the "Great Value Shortening Percentage Test" for every 5% change between lard and GV shortening (tallow and palm) from 5% GV to 60% (of the total oil %) to 60% GV shortening and 5% lard. With AND without 5% KOH added. So, take the following with that in mind.

I like high lard soap with and without the KOH 5%. I like it with KOH best, though. It just helps the lather tremendously.

I long ago (seems like forever, but it was only 3 years or so) tried all the expensive oils in soap, milks, additives of most every kind. I, and all my testers, liked the high lard soaps best. Across the board. And I was the only person who knew what change went to what soap. So, I gave up on the "special" oils and such.

However, I am about to (hopefully, if we can get major appliances to stop breaking down) start selling. I will have to use other recipes and use oils I would not normally for label appeal. So, I have been retesting the whole butters thing, and the milks, and the clays. Just to get recipes that behave, smell good, and people besides me like.

So, if I had to choose a favorite alternative recipe that used an alternative oil to the one above, it would be this:

Lard 45%
GV Shortening 20%
Coconut Oil 15%
Shea Butter 10%
Olive Oil 5%
Castor Oil 5%

However, I can now add every oil, butter, or wax to some amount for label appeal. Even if it is just a tiny bit (beeswax). It does not mean I love them, though.

...I like high lard soap with and without the KOH 5%. I like it with KOH best, though. It just helps the lather tremendously.

...f I had to choose a favorite alternative recipe that used an alternative oil to the one above, it would be this:

Lard 45%
GV Shortening 20%
Coconut Oil 15%
Shea Butter 10%
Olive Oil 5%
Castor Oil 5%

Thanks for all this information! I appreciate it... Scooter

Back