Using apple cider in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really just a small colander with wire mesh.
Sieve.jpg

We'll I feel like an idiot, I have 2 of those of different sizes, I've always called them a strainer bc they strain stuff and when u look at the label that's attached to them there called a strainer

We'll I feel like an idiot, I have 2 of those of different sizes, I've always called them a strainer bc they strain stuff and when u look at the label that's attached to them there called a strainer

To sieve with it using solid materials you have to physically push the pumpkin (or whatever) through the mesh. Once the "puréed" pumpkin is pushed through put it back into the saucepan and dry it out carefully over the heat until it is quite stiff for best results in soap.

I just use pumpkin right out of the can. . I just finished making my own purée from 8 pie pumpkins. Can't wait to use some in soap. The rest is for pies and pumpkin rolls.

To sieve with it using solid materials you have to physically push the pumpkin (or whatever) through the mesh. Once the "puréed" pumpkin is pushed through put it back into the saucepan and dry it out carefully over the heat until it is quite stiff for best results in soap.

Og wow that sounds like it can be a several hours process, lol

I just use pumpkin right out of the can. . I just finished making my own purée from 8 pie pumpkins. Can't wait to use some in soap. The rest is for pies and pumpkin rolls.

Think I'll try the recipe you told me from brambleberry

Can you hear my stomach growling? Gosh y'all are making me hungry!!

Hey Dixie, thanks for the tip on the pumpkin for dogs. I know all three of mine love pumpkin flavored treats, but didn't know it was actually good for them. I'll add that to the list of stuff to get when they're feeling puny.

As far as a scent, I'm really pleased with WSP's Farmhouse Cider. I tried 6 different cider scents, and that was by far my favorite.

Are there any food/drink products that have a great scent on its own that can be used in soap that will STILL retain that great scent, or is it all eaten by the lye?

None of which I am aware.

You do realize fragrance appreciation is really subjective. Example: I made beer soap that retained the fragrance of beer for quite a long time. Personally I don't enjoy the scent of beer, but there are other people who like smelling beer.
Kombucha tea was another drink that carried a strong scent into the soap, that lasted quite awhile. In fact, even though it has faded, I can still smell it in soaps I made several months ago. I don't drink Kombucha tea, so am not thrilled with that scent either. But perhaps it would be a welcome fragrance to a Kombucha tea enthusiast.

So all I can recommend is trial and continued trial. You have to decide for yourself within your own experience.

None of which I am aware.

You do realize fragrance appreciation is really subjective. Example: I made beer soap that retained the fragrance of beer for quite a long time. Personally I don't enjoy the scent of beer, but there are other people who like smelling beer.
Kombucha tea was another drink that carried a strong scent into the soap, that lasted quite awhile. In fact, even though it has faded, I can still smell it in soaps I made several months ago. I don't drink Kombucha tea, so am not thrilled with that scent either. But perhaps it would be a welcome fragrance to a Kombucha tea enthusiast.

So all I can recommend is trial and continued trial. You have to decide for yourself within your own experience.

OK, thanks looks like I have alot to playingredients around with to do lol

OK, thanks looks like I have alot to playingredients around with to do lol

If you find a scent that you really like and you find, in the SMF fragrance reviews, someone else that really likes it too, you will be able to keep an eye on the other scents they like as you may have similar "noses".

I have found this works.
I have a friend who has a totally different scent appreciation to me so I know if she loves a scent it is a pretty sure bet that I am not going to like it. ;)

If you find a scent that you really like and you find, in the SMF fragrance reviews, someone else that really likes it too, you will be able to keep an eye on the other scents they like as you may have similar "noses".

I have found this works.
I have a friend who has a totally different scent appreciation to me so I know if she loves a scent it is a pretty sure bet that I am not going to like it. ;)

I actually came across that list and at first couldn't figure out how to add to it but only to find it was an app I had to dwnld Google docs, I ended up adding the scent I thought I would toss since the following disappeared within 4 days of cure start so I added that but I need to take the time to actually look through it. I should print it out so it's easier to look over. But I'll be sure to do that for now, thx

Thank you for all that input, so since it's all be disproven, I won't waste time or ingredients adding after trace and such, and thank you for that bit for dogs, now for that where would you find 100% pumpkin puree as apposed to the lobby can?

Libby makes both. They are side-by-side. Just read the can to make sure you get 100% pumpkin.

Are there any food/drink products that have a great scent on its own that can be used in soap that will STILL retain that great scent, or is it all eaten by the lye?

Not really. Pine tar does give the bar a piney, smokey scent that some people really like. Neem oil gives a garlicy/nutty scent..not sure if anybody actually likes it.

I use spices in my soap - clove, nutmeg, cinnamon - and they leave a very faint scent if I have my nose against the bar.

My honey soap - 5% beeswax and one tablespoon of honey PPO - has a very light sweet scent.

Coffee soap using coffee grounds will have a slight scent. Again, nose touching the bar.

Back