Exercises to learn from

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.... So I decided to do a simple 'exercise to learn from' as the topic of this thread suggests. I've never made a soap with a high amount of Palm Oil... and when I read Susie's recipe suggestion... I decided it was something I need to try.

I made it exactly according to her percentages and only added 1oz of Butter Mints FO I got as a freebie from BrambleBerry (btw - it smells pretty good) and a couple of mica colors. I'm really looking forward to trying it out after it's cured. Here are some pics... they turned out a bit fuzzy, so I may take some better ones.

IMG_2091 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2092 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
OK.... So I decided to do a simple 'exercise to learn from' as the topic of this thread suggests. I've never made a soap with a high amount of Palm Oil... and when I read Susie's recipe suggestion... I decided it was something I need to try.

Thank you for sharing your experiment and your beautifull soap. I hope you will make an update in some weeks time and tell us, what you have learned.

I have made a couple of soaps since I started this tread. One among them is a 100% lard soap. It has all ready taught me, that a FO, that discolour yellow turns light pink into a colour I dislike.

The other is 98% lard and 2% bees wax. Honey is added for colour, as well as a cocoa line. I have all ready made a soap with the same additives and layout in a version where the fats stem from vegetable fats.

I look very much foreward to finding out, how big the difference between the soaps is, when the curetime is ower.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Go to your local health food stores and grocery stores and read the labels on the backs of the packages. We have a brand of shortening in the US called Spectrum that is palm oil.

Go to your local health food stores and grocery stores and read the labels on the backs of the packages. We have a brand of shortening in the US called Spectrum that is palm oil.

That is not bad advice. I have tried it , and have only succeded in finding some different shortenings that is partially plam oil, and partially something else. I can´t see what percent is which fat, only how big a pecentage is water and the order of the ingredients. they also contains additives of different kinds.
I haw thaught about soaping with them, but dont feel secure i know hov to calculate the lye amount needed.

Latest posts

Back