Happy Solar Eclipse!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artemis, you and your kids nailed it!

We were in Carbondale, IL for the eclipse at the Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) with a majorly huge crowd of eclipse aficionados. The stadium was sold out and it holds 14 or 15,000 people (depending on which publication you read). We did have clouds during part of the viewing time, that helped decrease the intense heat for short periods of time, but for me viewing time was sufficient.

There were several events going on at the SIU to educate anyone who so choose on the science of eclipses, demonstrations, lectures, activities for kids, etc. It was fabulous. Plus they gave away special eclipse glasses AND special eclipse binoculars to all to use to ensure eyesight safety.

Prior to totality, the temperature dropped noticeably, as expected with a total eclipse. The only animals near our viewing area were swallows flying in the sky, but since I do not live, work or go to school in Carbondale, I cannot be sure they behaved differently than normal.

Even though it was so very hot and humid there, we really enjoyed ourselves and oohed, awed, cheered and all that stuff with the rest of them. I don't know what was more spectacular, the total eclipse, the sunset look of the entire circumference of the horizon, or seeing a planet and a star in the middle of the day. According to the papers, Carbondale was turned into a 'Celestial SuperBowl' and I gotta say that is an accurate statement. The crowds were phenomenal for this little college town.

We stayed in touch with my husband's cousin who was about 10 miles away in a park and he had full visibility during the whole event, with no clouds blocking it out at all. What a difference a few miles makes.

ETA: I forgot about the school mascots, the Saluki Greyhounds! Here is a photo I got of them on the field. Such gorgeous animals.

Saluki Greyhounds.jpg

Last edited:
I've had Coca Cola pulled pork, but never had Coca Cola cake before!

The kids had very specific ideas about an Eclipse Cake. It HAD TO be round and dark chocolate, and it HAD TO have a crescent of sun peaking out.

Your cake is so cool. It did remind me of the eclipse!

We should not be drinking coca cola, but is my hubby's favorite drink. I keep complaining, but it does notgood .... he calls it his "go juice". He used to make the most amazing decorated cakes.

If you ever want the recipe for the coca cola cake, let me know. I think is a southern type dessert. Based with coca cola, and cocoa.

Your cake is so cool. It did remind me of the eclipse!

We should not be drinking coca cola, but is my hubby's favorite drink. I keep complaining, but it does notgood .... he calls it his "go juice". He used to make the most amazing decorated cakes.

If you ever want the recipe for the coca cola cake, let me know. I think is a southern type dessert. Based with coca cola, and cocoa.
I grew up on Coke. I only drink it when we're out, these days. I guess it's my glass of wine with dinner.

The cake sounds like a chocolate Coke, my favorite.

We were in Carbondale, IL for the eclipse at the Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) with a majorly huge crowd of eclipse aficionados. The stadium was sold out and it holds 14 or 15,000 people (depending on which publication you read). We did have clouds during part of the viewing time, that helped decrease the intense heat for short periods of time, but for me viewing time was sufficient.

It's been so weird for me the past few days seeing Carbondale talked about online in so many places where it seemed most folks kind of ignored that southern IL existed for the longest time (if I had a buck for every time I told someone I was from IL and they went 'oh, Chicago?' I'd be rich).

It's kind of neat, but also made me glad I don't work at SIU anymore (work for their 'competition' now, heh). I didn't have to deal with the zoo that Carbondale probably was yesterday.

No eclipse for us here. We're in the Bay Area and of course it was foggy the entire eclipse. We did notice it get a bit dark, kinda like right before a rainstorm. Nothing exciting though.

Latest posts

Back