Grainy lipbalm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanzclaire

Reaction score
Dear All,

Hello from HK !!

I have been making and learning about organic botanical skincare for some time now.

Yet I have not found a solution / answer to why my lipbalm always turns out grainy!!!

Please advise !!

I first melted everything inside microwave , then I added in Titanium Dioxide and Mica To mix in .

Afterwards around under 45degrees, I added the E.O

Then I poured into the lipbalm tube .

After 5 mins, I closed up the lids !

Today I tried my new made lipbalm and it's grainy!!!

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!
Nancy

It has been a while since I made lip balm but I always left the caps off longer. I want to say it was at least an hour to be certain the lip balm cooled completely before capping. I'm not sure how much of a difference it made but it always gave me peace of mind.

I agree, tempering does seem to help but I have also found that a lot of changes from cold to hot and back again can make it a bit grainy still. Some use Butter Ez and I think WSP sells something similar that is supposed to help with it as well. I haven't tried it myself though.

Ditto what Shari said^^^. My lip balms would go grainy on me in spite of my having tempered them if they were exposed to any significant temperature changes afterward. Once I started to use ButterEZ from Lotiioncrafter's in my formula, though, I ceased having grainy issues.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back