Crocheted Soap Saver

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelMomma

Reaction score
I made the soap saver bag in the picture here. It was super duper easy and fits my soap bars perfect. I am going to make one that is shorter also that we can use for putting the soap 'ends' in so they don't get wasted. I based it pretty closely to the pattern found in the link.

http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-absolutely-easy-soap-saver/

2013-01-29_14-02-42_474.jpg

that's pretty cool! What type of yarn did you use? Did you use a rough one that might exfoliate?

I like it :) I love soap savers & they're pretty easy and quick to do once you get the hang of it.

You are correct in saying they are quick. I did a couple of rows before I fell asleep. Then finished it right up in the DR waiting room. Probably only took me 1/2 an hour all together. Its nice to do something that is pretty close to instant gratification sometimes :)

I forsee an future where I'm up to my ears in soap savers as well as soap! I'm not very experienced with crochet but that last one look like it will give me a challenge.

These soap saver bags are really cute. I have never used one. Do you just use them like a wash cloth then hang them up? Do they dry fairly quickly, and is that how they protect the soap? I like the idea of putting the soap 'bits' in one to avoid waste.

Do you just use them like a wash cloth then hang them up? Do they dry fairly quickly, and is that how they protect the soap? I like the idea of putting the soap 'bits' in one to avoid waste.

Yes to the first question. Yes to the 2nd question ;)

They provide some nice latheriness, which means you're rubbing the bar less to create more latheriness, so the soap seems to last longer.

Yes to the first question. Yes to the 2nd question ;)

They provide some nice latheriness, which means you're rubbing the bar less to create more latheriness, so the soap seems to last longer.

This is the first crocheted bag for soap I have made so I am looking forward to finding out :)

Sooooooo........This stretched out like CRAZY!!! Its almost twice as long(tall) as it was when I first made it! HAHA! It looks hilarious now. If I had a handle at each end I could almost use it for a back scrubber ;) Oh well, I will try it a little different next time. You know what I was thinking though? WOOL yarn! Then it would shrink instead of stretch.......hmmmmm. I think I will try that too.

So I bought some 100% wool yarn today in natural colors. I made a bag similar to the green cotton one above. So far its working like I thought it would. Every time I look at that green one it cracks me up! It just looks so weird now.

2013-02-04_18-51-47_539.jpg

I haven't gotten around to making any of these yet. Do you put your bar in and leave it after your shower or take it out so it doesn't melt? If you leave it in, isn't it still wet and COLD the next day so you have to hold it under the warm water to get it warm enough to use? I really love the idea of these - may just have to make one and see for myself.

Yes, I just leave it in. It would be difficult and messy to get it out. I lay it on my towel for a minute then hang it where it can dry really well.

Oh My! I'm glad you posted this. My mother is pretty handy with a crochet needle and she wanted to help me in some way so she thought she might crochet me some "soap bags." Now I can tell her not to use yarn! Has the wool yarn behaved better than the cotton? I bought some roving to felt a few bars of soap. Just to try it and see if I like it but I haven't done it yet.

If you are going to use cotton, make it smaller to make up for how much it is going to stretch. I used to crochet dog leashes and had to make them 1/4 the normal length as the cotton yarn would stretch for "miles" lol! 100 % wool would be much better as it would almost be felting around the bar of soap with each use.

Latest posts

Back