What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore last night that I was going to take this morning off from making a batch ... that lasted up to the moment that I cut the first bar from yesterday's Cedar Amber Hanger Swirl loaf. There is now another loaf ,sitting all wrapped up in its blanket, on the counter to cut tomorrow because I can't stand the idea of having nothing exciting waiting for me in the morning .... ah!

Ahhh, yes. You know you are smitten when you jump out of bed in the morning and before you go to the bathroom or put the kettle on - you go to look at your soap and unmould straight away if you can :)

Ahhh, yes. You know you are smitten when you jump out of bed in the morning and before you go to the bathroom or put the kettle on - you go to look at your soap and unmould straight away if you can :)

I'm addicted, addicted I tell you, to the adrenaline rush of un-molding and cutting homemade soap loaves .... AHHH!

And don't anyone dare recommend a twelve step program that can 'fix me' from it!

Yea, you're in the wrong place for that. We're enablers here, one and all. :twisted:

So... more pics are coming, right?

Well ... since you asked .... sheepish grin here!

So I was taking photos of a totally different type of project this morning and thought while I was set up I would take some of the soaps I have been having fun with.

My photo set up is very simple. I have two, white, full sized foam-core boards that you can pick up at Walmart for about $2 each.

I move my keyboard out of my way, then prop one foam-core board against my monitor. This lets the board rest at a slight angle.

The second board goes on the table and butts up against the bottom edge of the first board.

Then, since I happen to have lots and lots of freezer paper around the studio I pulled off a 5' long piece. I rolled the freezer paper so that it would lie flat when the matte side was up. I folded the top 4" edge over and lightly taped it to the top of the foam-core board that rests against the monitor.

Now the freezer paper can roll - gently curve - over the joint area of the two boards and lie flat on the front area of the desk board. This means I have a nice, clean, white background without any fold lines or board joints.

So next is just a fun look through the house to see what I could either put soap in, put soap in front of, or put around soap .... The soap and my props were set near the front edge of the table which pushes the background area into the deep area of the photo. This means I get nice soft shadows.

And here are a few of the results.

soap_103.jpg

soap_105.jpg

soap_107.jpg

I have a few cp soaps under my belt now and decided to rebatch all of the soaps that did not turn out so well. Here is what I came up with.

Keelsoaper !!! Just love your confetti soap!!!! And love the soft brown combination of colors you caught that make the confetti bits really show up.

What coloring agent did you use for the medium brown top portion?

I'm addicted, addicted I tell you, to the adrenaline rush of un-molding and cutting homemade soap loaves .... AHHH!

And don't anyone dare recommend a twelve step program that can 'fix me' from it!

lol me too.

I am a very impatient person, and I feel like biting my nails having to wait to cut the soap!

Keelsoaper your soap is gorgeous. What technique you use to pour?

Thank you WyvernWench and SunRiseArts! I just poured 2/3 of the original melted soap into a loaf mold then added black oxide to the remaining soap mixture to darken up the color. Still a novice and looking to learn lots on this forum!

...My photo set up is very simple. I have two, white, full sized foam-core boards that you can pick up at Walmart for about $2 each.

I move my keyboard out of my way, then prop one foam-core board against my monitor. This lets the board rest at a slight angle.

The second board goes on the table and butts up against the bottom edge of the first board.

Then, since I happen to have lots and lots of freezer paper around the studio I pulled off a 5' long piece. I rolled the freezer paper so that it would lie flat when the matte side was up. I folded the top 4" edge over and lightly taped it to the top of the foam-core board that rests against the monitor.

Now the freezer paper can roll - gently curve - over the joint area of the two boards and lie flat on the front area of the desk board. This means I have a nice, clean, white background without any fold lines or board joints.

So next is just a fun look through the house to see what I could either put soap in, put soap in front of, or put around soap .... The soap and my props were set near the front edge of the table which pushes the background area into the deep area of the photo. This means I get nice soft shadows.

And here are a few of the results.
Excellent! Thanks for the photo shoot tips. Nice looking soapies too. :clap:

Thank you WyvernWench and SunRiseArts! I just poured 2/3 of the original melted soap into a loaf mold then added black oxide to the remaining soap mixture to darken up the color. Still a novice and looking to learn lots on this forum!

Do these strong colours colour the bath or shower water please? I used some red oxide when I was trying to make a watermelon soap and used a bit too much I think as the shower water was terracotta/reddish which looked faintly disturbing until I realised it was from the soap!

Now I use minimal colours to avoid it happening again. Or is it a different kind of colouring you all use when doing these wonderful strongly coloured swirls?

Do these strong colours colour the bath or shower water please? I used some red oxide when I was trying to make a watermelon soap and used a bit too much I think as the shower water was terracotta/reddish which looked faintly disturbing until I realised it was from the soap!

Now I use minimal colours to avoid it happening again. Or is it a different kind of colouring you all use when doing these wonderful strongly coloured swirls?

I think the red oxide I have is pretty strong as well. Mine is from BB called Brick Red Oxide and makes a very dark red. But as you mention, the darker the soap, the darker the bubbles/lather. So far I have not used a mica that discolors like that, but that's not saying it doesn't happen.

I don't know yet, KeelSoaper! We will both discover how the colors behave after the soap has it's four week curing.

The micas that I use are from Nuture Soap and so far I have not had any bleeding from the colors. But this is the first time that I have used their Neon line ... so I really can't say until it is far enough along to take to the sink.

I have had bleeding from some of the natural colorants - cocoa powder and turmeric. But that was when I dusted the top with a line or accent.

Back