A Cream Soap Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, as a nonshaver, I need to know, how do you lather up cream soap type shaving cream? Wondering about excess water in the jar?? I really have no clue. My father used to use a puck in a cup, I guess there would be excess water in the cup - but I truly am trying to understand. Dad isn't here to ask anymore and my husband has a full beard :)

Ok, as a nonshaver, I need to know, how do you lather up cream soap type shaving cream? Wondering about excess water in the jar?? I really have no clue. My father used to use a puck in a cup, I guess there would be excess water in the cup - but I truly am trying to understand. Dad isn't here to ask anymore and my husband has a full beard :)

I don't put the damp brush in the jar, but what I do is take a baby spoon or ice cream sample spoon and dip out an almond size portion. I either smear that on my face or on the bristles of the brush, then commence to lathering on my face. Works wonderfully well :smile:

Looks like a good lather to me. The question is how does a shave?

I don't know yet. I was thinking to use it for today's shave, but a funny thing happened to it over night. It went from the stiffer cream in the picture to out-right runny, almost liquid. Maybe a mismeasurment some where, though I can't recall any funny stuff with the batch until now?

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.

alaskazimm gave you a good answer - let me expand on it. Sometimes if you;re going to make shaving soap it helps to speak the language.

There are several ways to make a lather. Some people make a lather on the soap - this is most appropriate for a harder soap like a puck. You soak the brush in hot water, and optionally soak the puck in hot water to help it "bloom". You then work the brush on the soap till you get what you want.

Then there's bowl vs face latherers. You can use any types of soap for these although a hard puck makes it more challenging requiring a better "bloom" most times. The two are exactly what they sound like - you either work up a lather in the bowl or on your face. I prefer a bowl because of my lather is going to give me grief, I'd prefer to work it in a bowl than potentially irritating my face with more manual action.

Shaving cream vs Croap: Cream many times comes in a toothpaste tube; Proaso is a good example:

9148X6HbFaL._SL1500_.jpg

You squeeze a bit into the bowl (if you bowl lather) or on the soaked brush, and go to town. An almond sized portion as alaskazimm says is the typical starter recommendation. You can always add more.

If you have a croap you take that damp brush and load it on the soap till you have enough (most people count "laps") and then to the bowl or face.

I think I'm becoming addicted to cream soap.

I made my first batch a few months ago, and it is rotting away nicely. Yesterday I made my 2nd batch, and created my own recipe from it using Summer Bea Meadow's calculator. It is resting and today I get to whip it.

I am also planning on making another batch tomorrow to start playing with other oils to see which ones I like best. This could be dangerous!

I've wanted to try a cream soap for awhile and since I hadn't found this thread yet I made the soaping 101 recipe which didn't turn out how I imagined, it was too stiff and I had to add a lot of water and then it got too fluffy. It's been rotting for a month now. Then I saw this thread and it was like the sun came out! I immediately wanted to try it but after the previous one I didn't want so much of it in case it failed.

So yesterday I made a very small batch, only 100 gr of oil. I rigged up a sort of mini double boiler because it was too small for my crockpot. I had to sub tallow for the co as I had run out but I was so eager to try this that I couldn't wait for next months order! I think it turned out even tho it never got super chunky like in your pics. Today it was very stiff, too stiff to beat it so I had to add quite a lot of water to it but it turned nice and creamy, albeit a think cream. It's a lovely white paste with no lumps in it. I am quite excited waiting for this one.

Thanks so much Lindy for going to the trouble to show how to do it so clearly.

image.jpg

Awesome, your tutorial is very detailed, I can't wait to make my own cream soap with your tutorial tomorrow ! Thank you very much !! I love it! :)

This is an awesome thread, thank everyone for the efforts, the tutorial is really great.
I tried to read all the posts, but maybe I just overlooked it:

Why whip when it is still so hard? Why not just leave it be as it is and you say it will get softer with time and you whip it then?

Maybe its something I dont understand ... would be very thankful for your opinions or rather explanations. Thank you all!

I noticed someone asked awhile ago, hopefully I didn’t overlook the response....but, why kaolin clay? What is the benefit? Can I use bentonite clay instead?

I did make the recipe using bentonite clay (only because I don’t have any kaolin); it will be awhile before I know how it turns out ).

Thanks

Hello to all who many be interested. The attached pdf is Lindy's recipe placed in document format (minus the pictures). I did this so I could print it and work from it rather than scrolling among screens. This is LINDY's recipe, not mine. I am just the transcriber.

If anyone is interested in a pdf with her pictures included, I would be happy to make that up as well. I did not do that because I did not want it to chew through my printer ink.

Thank you all, and mostly, thank you to Lindy, and to the admins who gave me the green light to post this.

Cheers! Clarice

Attachments

• Lindy's Basic Cream Soap recipie.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 60
Will get right on it, expect tomorrow latest!

Ok here you go

PLEASE NOTE - If Lindy made corrections in the body of the text in this thread, I have NOT incorporated them. If as I traverse the thread I find any - I will update the PDF. If you know of some changes that should be made, please let me know.

Thanks all! Clarice

Attachments

• Lindy's Basic Cream Soap recipie w pics.pdf
    440.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, can I ask a newbie question, please? I see this is made as CP and HP soap (with both lyes, however). Is this product the same as the foaming bath whip in use? I know the ingredients are quite different. Looks like anther interesting product to use. I love the feel of the bath whip when whipped - is this similar in feel or looser? Thanks Jane

I have not yet made this - so I cannot really comment

However, I am desperately looking for a creamed soap - by whipped are you meaning the soap that you ultimately shape into a bar, and it floats in the water?

If you are meaning a cream soap - consistency like a really thick frosting - that you scoop out of a container to use - I would be interested in any recipes / experiences that you have had!

Thanks, C

Latest posts

Back