Un-Talcum Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thoughts on the MgOH2. Since I never heard of it until IL mentioned it in the de-funk de pits thread, I have no thoughts about it. But, if you try it and it works better than the baking soda, let me know. I would imagine, though, that you couldn't do an oz for oz substitution with them since they are chemically different substances that will work differently. It took me a while to figure out the right combination when I reduced the baking soda and added the DE. I had to change the amounts of everything. But, for those that didn't know where to start experimenting, this is a good beginning point.

I bought this brand off of Amazon. It's super-fine & silky: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUOWENQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

IrishLass :)

That's what I bought, too. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe you posted this link on the other thread, and I found it that way. I mixed the entire container of powder with about 9 oz of oil to make my deo.

If anyone wants to try the MgOH2 in the powder without making the baking soda batch first, let me know. I can send you some of my batch to compare it to. I made a 5 pound monster batch the last time and I'm the only one using it. I have a ton of it left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no that's not it at all Soapy Heart - please don't worry. I just couldn't confirm that the two products were the same thing and I didn't want anyone to make a purchase thinking they knew what they were getting! (I did a little searching on Google but still couldn't find info that the two items were the same thing!)

Phew, and thank you for letting me know, glad to hear it <3 :-*

Thanks for this, Teresa! I don't use commercial powder very often, although as I said to you before, I like the feel of powder IF it doesn't get gummy when I sweat. Lots of commercial ones seem to do that to me. And I hate the way commercial powders smell, for the most part. When things calm down here (I am planning a wedding), I will try to find time to make me a batch. I was glad to hear that inhalation of these items is not harmful. I am a little concerned about that when I apply powder.

Any powder can be harmful if for no other reason that solid particles can get into your respiratory system. So it's always wise to not puff up a cloud of the stuff and inhale it all ;) when you use any kind of dusty stuff -- flour, body powder, whatever. I use a dry foundation when I wear makeup and it's nearly impossible to keep the powder from getting into the air. Ugh. But I just hold my breath and step away from the mirror.

I m making it now with MH instead of bs
Arrowroot 1 tsp
Rice Flour 1 tsp
Natrasorb aka flo 1.5 tsp (probably waits 0.3 g
De 1 tsp (around 2 g)
MH 2 tsp round
Potato starch 1 tsp
I will probably change it when I feel the powders. Will report the results, I am like Teresa a bit overweight and need something, I am desperate for powder. :) thanks Teresa
I am going to add potato starch :)
Edited, it seems to work; still dry skin

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the recipe. Underboob sweat is a real thing and I hate sweating there. I had no clue where to start to even make hand made powder for myself. I have been using the powder from Vagasil for under my boobs. Now i can make my own (Thanks to you) and be completely free of store bought. That was the only thing that I buy and now I can try making some.:bunny:

Omneya original poster is our Lovely Teresa, I changed her recipe, a bit not a lot. two hours and my skin , the burn does not hurt, I added potato starch cause my mother use it on me when I had major breakouts of dermatitis, It calmed my itching.
I did not make a lot as you see but it is going to last forever ;)
One advice, the powders, I put all of them in zip lock and mixed them well, wait few minutes so powders settle down and then u can move it to any container.

I will try both but I don't have DM or MH. I have to get those
Oh man the under boon struggle is so bad in the summer and yes i get like rashes there and the only thing that was helping was the vagasil powder. It cleared it right up. But if I can make my own I will be much happier.

It has been so hot here...I am going to try to make this today. I am super sensitive to baking soda under the pits (can we say fire pits from hell?), so will be subbing the mag powder for the baking soda. Off to (hopefully) fight copious amounts of under boob sweat........

Checking in with everyone. How is the powder going? I use mine every day and it keeps me cool and comfortable. Dahlia, have you used the regular version to compare to the MH version? The last batch I made was a 5 kg one and I've only used about 12 oz of it. I don't want to make up a new MH batch until that's either gone or packaged for gifting.

Checking in with everyone. How is the powder going? I use mine every day and it keeps me cool and comfortable. Dahlia, have you used the regular version to compare to the MH version? The last batch I made was a 5 kg one and I've only used about 12 oz of it. I don't want to make up a new MH batch until that's either gone or packaged for gifting.

Hi Teresa! I was just thinking about you the other day. Hope all is well with you. Nice to 'see' you!

Teresa, at the beginning of this post you mention making a "talc free powder". Just out of interest, is baby talcum powder bad? Or, if not bad, what is wrong with it?

Talc has been linked to several health issues, particularly women’s reproductive problems. I don’t know the stats offhand but I’m sure more research has been done since I last looked it up (which was probably when this thread originally started)

Talc has been linked to several health issues, particularly women’s reproductive problems. I don’t know the stats offhand but I’m sure more research has been done since I last looked it up (which was probably when this thread originally started)
Thanks for that.

Thanks for the reply BattleGnome. I’m just checking messages. Yes, talc has been linked to breast cancer and other reproductive cancers and endocrine issues. As someone with a compromised immune system, and a need for the cooling & absorbent comfort of powder daily, I needed to find something made with non-carcinogenic ingredients that worked well in a hot and humid climate. Tennessee summers are brutal. Playing around with a recipe I found online as a baseline, I came up with something that works well for me.

Back