Hot Air Balloon Ride

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm meeting my daughter in Phoenix for a long weekend, and am considering. But, I'm so afraid of heights. Still, DH wouldn't ever do it (also afraid of heights), and I think I want to. Any advice for me?

To clarify - my fear of heights is more when I'm on a ladder - and can see the ground directly under me. I get dizzy. DH can't go near the edge of a balcony to look over. I'm ok with that.

When you're up in a balloon it's not hard to avoid looking straight down over the edge, especially if you're already decided not to do so.

Your gaze will be focused on the landscape off toward the horizon.

Wear a jacket.

Find a reputable balloon company!!!! Was it Arizona where the highly medicated operator crashed with a full balloon? After that crash it showed how lax many regulations are in some states.

Bring your camera!

I did this many many years ago. At least 30 years ago. From my recollection, it was very hot under the balloon when heat was released. But it was so very exhilarating. I had a fabulous time.

My only other advice, is don't drink a lot before you go up because you might end up throwing up after you land. All the excitement mixed with alcohol, in my experience doesn't make a good mix.

We did it a few years ago. It is a fantastic experience. It is really quiet and you don't feel the wind at all because you are moving at the speed of the wind.

I am a little afraid of heights but didn't have any worries about it while we were up. We went up just before dawn and by the time we were up I sort of forgot about the height. Landing was a bit of a rush but it was an excellent, excellent day.

Oh do it!!! It's something on my bucket list that I haven't gotten to yet. I also have a fear of heights that sounds like yours. I'm afraid if there is no edge or barrier. You said you're not afraid of being on a balcony, I think it's because there is a railing there, and in the balloon, you're in the basket. I think you will be just fine. I think you'll be so overwhelmed with excitement at the beauty of it all that you won't think about being afraid. And yes, take lots of pictures!!! Gee, I'm really excited, and its not even me that's going. :) You are going, aren't you?

Thanks for the input everyone - much appreciated. Navigator, I am really leaning more toward doing it than not. DD is all over it, and will hold my hand if need be. Earlene, at my age and with my need for coffee in the morning, I worry more about lack of bathroom facilities than throwing up!

I think you'd have a great time! My husband and I did this a few years ago and I'm the sort who has a respectable fear of heights. The very thought of bungee jumping, standing on the edge of a cliff, or sky diving makes me light-headed, sweaty-palmed, and hyper-anxious, so I had some trepidation before the balloon ride. But it turned out not to be an issue at all. As others have mentioned, the ride itself is so smooth and most of the time you are looking out over the horizon. And the entire process of getting a balloon blown-up and off the ground is pretty interesting.

I say if you have the opportunity, go for it!

I'm also quite afraid of heights. Looking over a balcony makes my legs feel weak. Even driving over a bridge feels wrong to my body!

With that said, I have tried ziplining and wow, what an experience. For some reason I was okay with it, even though I was over 360ft up!

So I guess you can never predict how your body will react. I say go for it!

I too have issues with heights more so as I've gotten older. I have however been in a Hot Air Balloon and you really should do it. It's beautiful! I've also ziplined and flew in a 2 seater open cockpit plane.

My grandson talked me into parasailing with him. That was my one and only time of parasailing. I am not good at not being in control.:roll:

I hope you go and take a camera so you can bring back photos to show us (if you would, please) and to look at and remember the adventure.

Wear a jacket. It may be comfortable on the ground but the air aloft is cooler.
Bring a GOOD camera and be prepared to take lots of pictures.
Be prepared to have an exciting experience.

We have a balloon stampede here annually and they are more fun than you think.
Don't even get my youngest started on them. He actually builds and flies remote controlled scale models.

Wear a jacket. It may be comfortable on the ground but the air aloft is cooler.
Bring a GOOD camera and be prepared to take lots of pictures.
Be prepared to have an exciting experience.

We have a balloon stampede here annually and they are more fun than you think.
Don't even get my youngest started on them. He actually builds and flies remote controlled scale models.

Thanks! From what I understand, it is quite warm once in the air - they have a big heater going. Will have warm clothes for pre-flight time in any case.

Did it!

We went high. We went low. It was amazing.

IMG_20170407_062640.jpg

IMG_20170407_072426.jpg

IMG_20170407_071132.jpg

IMG_20170407_070902.jpg

Looks like you had a beautiful day to do it too. How did you like it? Any height fears once you were up?

I loved it. No fears at all. It was a very 'gentle' experience, for lack of a better word. Since the balloon travels at the wind speed, there isn't any sense of movement. We were surprised when we were back on the ground that the breeze was blowing our hair around. None of that in the air. The basket sides were high enough that I didn't have any height anxiety. I'm so glad we went. I'd love to do it again some day.

Back