Tech savvy, I NEED HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had no memory on my phone to record videos for October's challenge. I am on an android with Google photos installed. All of my videos were in Google photos. So I deleted my photos on my device only, and they deleted out of Google photos. They are not in the trash bin on google photos app. WTH! I take it there is absolutely nothing I can do, but I thought I would ask some of you guys which I know are well-versed in technology, much more than I am. Can anyone help me?

Google storage is changing, you may want to check that out. Does your phone have the ability to add an additional sim card for storage. I have added memory to my phone due to that.

Also, if you take the charging cord to your phone and connect to usb port of laptop, you can pull photos and videos to your laptop/desk side computer.

Gent, I'm an android girl, but after this I may convert to iphone which I never wanted to do.
Lsg, they were in photos already so i thought it would stay there. I dont think i can add a sim

I really don't like the Google photos. On my old phone I had a different gallery and it was easier to tell where the photos were stored. Now that I have what Nexus, Google photos IS the gallery. I'm going to install a simple gallery app and hope that will solve this very problem!

I plug my phone into my computer with a USB cord, and download directly to my computer. For photos, another option is to email them to yourself from your phone if you're not handy to your computer. Videos, though, will pretty much need to be transferred via USB, unless they're small enough to also email.

I think TEG is probably right about the syncing and automatic deletion thing. I'm pretty sure OneDrive does the same thing (I don't use it, though- it's resident in Windows 10 apparently).

There is a way you can get stuff deleted from google cloud back. Google it! Lol. If that doesn't work Contact google. My son did it.

Also someone quit work and deleted a whole lot of stuff from google cloud out of spite and they recovered it.

Update: I think it had all just copied into the Google photos. It never synced it. I went through my settings and made sure syncing was turned on. It was turned on while charging only, and it charges every night, but it was not syncing it. So when I turned off sync while charging only, it started to sync everything. In other words that hadn't been syncing anything and so it had just copied and then got deleted when,I deleted the phone videos. I'm sure if I had some tech guy and I was working for a big company they could recover it, but that's not going to happen for me. So I lost a year's worth of videos of my kids birthdays and a football game I got to go to and everything else. Live and learn I guess. At least I still have the memories and photographs.

Lp I'm the biggest phone idiot in the universe... Before giving up go to the phone store and see if one of their geeks can recover for you. My Verizon store folks see me coming and I think they draw straws to see which one has to help me this time.

oh boy. Is going to be hard. If they are in the cloud, maybe. But if you had them on your phone storage, they are probably gone.

Next time, before you delete anything, plug your phone into your computer. It will act as a usb stick, and copy everything to a folder in your PC.

Cindy Idea is the best. Take it to your provider, and have the geeks there get them for you.

Recovering deleted files

Sorry to hear about your lost photo’s and video’s.

This post disregards the cloud side of things, and works on the idea that the photo’s may be able to be recovered from your phone.

Blurb:
Photo’s (and all other files) are stored in pieces in whatever available space there is on your device (computer, phone, tablet, etc.). A key (like a map key) to where each of these pieces is located is created and this key is used to prevent those data storage spaces from being overwritten.

When you move photos to trash, they are scheduled for permanent deletion. Your files can be recovered from this area using your phone software, if you do this before the set time expires (mine is set to 28 days, yours may be different). If you cannot see your files in the trash/bin, it is possible they have been permanently deleted.

Permanent deletion isn’t quite what it sounds. What actually happens is that the key (to where all the photo pieces are) is removed and the data storage space used by all the photo pieces becomes available for storing new data. The photo pieces are not actually gone at this point, but you can no longer see the photos because the key is missing.

Until there is something stored over the top of the file pieces of each of the photos, they remain on your phone. It is possible to gather up the file pieces and recreate the keys (basically, recover your photos from permanent deletion).

This is only possible if the storage has not been overwritten. Once the space is overwritten, then the photos are truly gone. So the quicker you can look for the file pieces (and the less you use the phone until then), the more photo’s you will be able to recover.

To the (possible) solution:
There are software programs that can recover permanently deleted files. You can either use a free program, buy a program, or have a professional to do this for you.

The sooner you do this, the better chance you have of recovering your photo’s.

This link is to a list of data recovery programs you can use:
https://alternativeto.net/software/diskdigger/

This link is to a service that does recovery for you (it’s in Sydney, Australia – this is just a random example, there will be ones near you that provide a similar service):
https://www.nsintel.com.au/service/...ta-recovery/?gclid=CLX9_vzutNYCFZMGKgodwRcIJw

This thread specifically talks about others with the same google photo’s problem.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/photos/1vlhwg1e6Ug

Good luck.

I email photos to myself if I want to keep them. Then I can store them on my portable T ( terrabyte) disks. Having exterior storage is not a problem these days.

My phone doesn't do videos though and when I dial out it make clicking noises...... One ringy dingy.... two ringy dingies... :mrgreen:
I have an "old guy" phone.

Latest posts

Back