CP White spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenlwhi2

Reaction score
I recently made a couple batches of CP soap and it randomly got these white spots. I did nothing different to the recipe as I've always done before so can't figure out what caused these? They don't zap. When I first cut them I noticed 1 or 2 weep slightly but not since then. The only 2 ideas I had was
1) type of coconut oil. Maybe it is superfatted co that hardened? And 2) stearic spots. Since I do milk soap I keep temps low. I usually keep my lye solution 75-100 to avoid scorching my milk and my oils I heat to 125 and let cool to around 100 when I add them to my lye solution. I've never ever had these issues though so I can't figure it out. I truly believe it's cosmetic but would love to figure out the reason it's happening?

Here's my recipe:

40 oz frozen goat milk
15.5 oz lye
43 oz lard (40%)
43 oz oo (40 %)
21.5 oz co (20%)

Thanks!

I recently made a couple batches of CP soap and it randomly got these white spots. I did nothing different to the recipe as I've always done before so can't figure out what caused these? They don't zap. When I first cut them I noticed 1 or 2 weep slightly but not since then. The only 2 ideas I had was
1) type of coconut oil. Maybe it is superfatted co that hardened? And 2) stearic spots. Since I do milk soap I keep temps low. I usually keep my lye solution 75-100 to avoid scorching my milk and my oils I heat to 125 and let cool to around 100 when I add them to my lye solution. I've never ever had these issues though so I can't figure it out. I truly believe it's cosmetic but would love to figure out the reason it's happening?

Here's my recipe:

40 oz frozen goat milk
15.5 oz lye
43 oz lard (40%)
43 oz oo (40 %)
21.5 oz co (20%)

Thanks!
oops here's the pic 20171114_090900.jpg

Use the split method for milk soap. It's either stearic spots (increase soaping temp) or milk spots (split method).
Is split method using water to add lye solution? I may try this but what would the minimum amount of water I would need be for that amount of lye? I really don't like this idea because I want as much milk in it as possible but i would be willing to try it. The reason i dont think this is it though is i never had this issue in the past.

Is split method using water to add lye solution? I may try this but what would the minimum amount of water I would need be for that amount of lye? I really don't like this idea because I want as much milk in it as possible but i would be willing to try it. The reason i dont think this is it though is i never had this issue in the past.

If the recipe calls for 150g NaOH and 300g water use 150g water to dissolve NaOH and stir until its dissolved. Use 150g milk and add to oils.
You can stir milk powder into the 150g milk to bring up total milk to 100*.

Temp to avoid stearic spots is everything 100*F minimum. Yours could have fallen as you used frozen milk.
If its milk causing the spots stir it thoroughly and watch temps (too hot and it will separate, temp shock and it will separate, not stirring when adding milk to lye and it will separate.) that's why split method is so much easier.

50/50 is the lowest you can go with the water, and make sure you stir you lye solution well. You can either use canned GM for the remainder liquid or add in powdered to GM to make double strength. Canned will not be as white as powdered gm. As mentioned above I would say milk or stearic spots. I would venture to say it is probably saponified milk spots from your lye solution

Penelope jane and cmzaha I use fresh goat milk from our farm. That's why I do frozen and don't use any powdered or canned. I think I'll first try raising up the temp. It's usually around 100. If it goes above 100 then I get scorched milk. I stir constantly and haven't ever had the separation issue. Perhaps my oils need to be hotter?

Penelope jane and cmzaha I use fresh goat milk from our farm. That's why I do frozen and don't use any powdered or canned. I think I'll first try raising up the temp. It's usually around 100. If it goes above 100 then I get scorched milk. I stir constantly and haven't ever had the separation issue. Perhaps my oils need to be hotter?

It's not a separation issue. Read cmzahas post.

I agree with cmzaha that it's probably milk spots.

I would say milk or stearic spots. I would venture to say it is probably saponified milk spots from your lye solution

Somehow I didn't see this. Sorry about that. So im a bit confused. Are y'all saying the split method would help this or higher temps or both?

Somehow I didn't see this. Sorry about that. So im a bit confused. Are y'all saying the split method would help this or higher temps or both?

Split method is easier and more forgining of temp variations.

Lye and milk can lead to spots as milk can separate and start to saponify into spots that can't be seen until the soap hardens.

If you must do frozen method freeze in ice block size cubes or flat in a ziplock bag and stir in very very slowly. You might get stearic spots this method as your lye will be cool.

With the split method your soap is whiter and you can soap warmer so will avoid stearic spots.

Latest posts

Back