Goat Milk Lotion Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3% butter
15% soft oils
12% Goat Milk
5% Emulsifying Wax
65% Water

On top of this you will need 1% (or whatever is the high end your preservative's recommended usage & 1% fragrance or essential oils.

Has anyone tried this with any other kind of milk? Rice Milk, Coconut Milk, Almond Milk....etc...

I'm going to try it with Coconut Milk, but thought I'd ask if anyone has already done it :)

Last edited:
I made an oat milk lotion a while back. It went bad rather quickly. I used homemade oatmilk and used it for half my water amoumt. I think there was just too much botanical matter for the lotion to handle. I would think coconut milk would be ok, especially store bought. Please follow up if you can, I would like to know how it works out for you.

Okay!

Well I am rather new to lotions. I've stuck to just salves and lotion bars. But my personal consumption spending on facial creams led me to want to try my own. I mean I make us everything else so.....why not?

A certain Smush company makes a lotion I like, with almond milk.

I love coconut milk. So I tried it. I used a slightly different recipe that I've been playing with (and my other lotions were HORRENDOUS). So I compared it to swifts basic recipe and tweaked mine. After all she's a chemist, and then I read her instructions better this time.

Because 1) I wasn't heating and holding my water phase correctly. Therefore, chunkys. Yucky. 2) I was whisking by hand. As a soaper I love the immersion blender - I should have known better. Silly Consuela.

So. Proud to say this is my first successful lotion.
I used honey and glycerine. Coconut milk and water. Vanilla infused the distilled water. Cherry Kernel, Grapeseed & Apricot Kernel oils.
And used germall for my preservative. Some benzoin oil for the soft vanilla smell, and 3 drops of vanilla absolute. It was a small batch. About 2-3oZ.

And...

Well sh*# if my lotion didn't turn out creamy and smelling divine. I can't stop smelling the patch I rubbed on my arm.

Oh can't post pics from my phone? I'll upload then edit to add them.

img_0653-1019.jpg

img_0652-1020.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!

I am very very happy with the way this lotion turned out! Now...I'll see how long it lasts! I'll probably burn through it before it can go bad - even though I used a preservative (I'm still new to the whole preservative thing, so this is all new to me).

SOOOO........... question for all you awesome Lotion Guru Types.

If a person *ahem* forgot to add 3% of oils to their oil phase, what should they do?
Add them in now that the lotion is cooling and thickening?
OR.... forget about it and call it a day?
OR.... Chuck it, and start over?

(Recipe is based off the one here in this thread).

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd not mess with it -- I'd try it as it is and see what I thought. It's my guess that it will still be a decent -- perhaps even a very nice -- lotion, even without that 3%. I'm not entirely sure I would count on the extra oil being properly emulsified if you tried to blend it in after the fact. And heating up a lotion after it's made can cause the emulsion to fail, so you'd go from bad to worse if you did that. Just my opinion, however. YMMV.

I know this is an old post, but would like to try this lotion but with cows milk. Has anyone tried this/think it will be ok. I will be using store bought milk, not fresh from the cow. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it will work with cow milk just like goat milk. Just follow Lindy's method except for this substitution, and you should be fine. I hope it turns out gorgeous!

Thank you Deeanna for your help, will probably be making it this afternoon so will report back.

Hi Lindy, I made comments on it on the 'Bath and Body Forum'. Just to reiterate and say thank you, I love this recipe and has given me confidence to try and figure out a facial cream. What I love about it is the way it just soaks in and leaves no oily residue, unlike body butters and lotion bars I have tried to make (probably not good recipes yet!!). My husband also loves it, used it on his face yesterday that was sunburnt and said it really cooled it down. In finishing up all I can say is that anyone thinking of making lotion, this is the one to try, it's awesome and if I can do it, believe me you can too!!

Back