• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Dragon's Blood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually try it, but I've been thinking about a blend of Nature's Garden Fresh Cut Roses with a small % of DB. I'm thinking the DB would give some depth and intensity to the rose FO. Only problem is the soap I scent with FCR is mostly white, and DB discolors. Maybe mix the DB into the swirls and FCR into the base white. Hmmm.......

Received mine today, looking forward to making a batch soon!
Thank you again for all of your work in doing this, especially in the midst of the challenges you have had to face lately, it is appreciated!

Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually try it, but I've been thinking about a blend of Nature's Garden Fresh Cut Roses with a small % of DB. I'm thinking the DB would give some depth and intensity to the rose FO. Only problem is the soap I scent with FCR is mostly white, and DB discolors. Maybe mix the DB into the swirls and FCR into the base white. Hmmm.......
How is the FCR for Nature's Garden? I need a decent rose and have not found one I really like. I think some DB might be devine with rose. Would sure give some depth. If just using a small percentage of DB your swirl might not be to dark to color a deep red or maybe even green to represent the stem. Just thinking....

FCR is nice, but light. It doesn't (to my nose) smell like old-lady-perfume -- it has a nice slightly green freshness that's more like the real flower, not perfume. Problem is it just doesn't have that strength of scent that draws people to buy. I think the DB might go a long way to fixing that problem.

FCR is nice, but light. It doesn't (to my nose) smell like old-lady-perfume -- it has a nice slightly green freshness that's more like the real flower, not perfume. Problem is it just doesn't have that strength of scent that draws people to buy. I think the DB might go a long way to fixing that problem.
Thankyou for the information, I will wait and find out how it goes with the DB, since I need strong

Yep, I agree with you, Carolyn. It's worth a try anyway.

By the way, the Dragon has landed here in Iowa! YAY!!!!

Thanks for my order, Carolyn! I also got your sample. Did you gel? Perhaps the difference lies in the recipe, but my soaps made with you DB are much darker, as below, and mine consistently get this dark.

image.jpg

Thanks for my order, Carolyn! I also got your sample. Did you gel? Perhaps the difference lies in the recipe, but my soaps made with you DB are much darker, as below, and mine consistently get this dark.
Yep, it gelled. My recipes is
37% Lard
18% Canola Oil, High Oleic
17% Tallow
9% Coconut Oil
9% Palm Kernel OIl
7% Avocado Oil
3% Castor Oil.
33% lye concentration
3% superfat
Gm Powder

Since this is made for mostly men I up the cleansing more than most of my soaps. The soap from which the sample came was made on 1/13/2017

Carolyn, my DB arrived! It was waiting for me when I got home. I'm not sure when it was actually delivered, either yesterday or today? I know it wasn't there Monday, because I checked the box. It smells great OOB and the sample is absolutely amazing! I haven't soaped in over a month. This fragrance oil is definitely giving me some inspiration and incentive. Thanks so much for all of your hard work. Keep me in mind the next go round.

The other DB I used discolored to a rich brown. Here is a pic of the same batch I took a pic of when it was 5 days old.

So, I am wondering if you added TD or a mica to lighten up the discoloration in yours. I am just wondering at the color, so I will know what to expect. I am sick, again, so no soaping this week.

DSCN0332.jpg

Last edited:
Susie, I am sorry to hear you are sick, hope you get better soon. No, I did not add any TD. I used AC, Red Mica and Oatmeal, sugar EDta, kaolin and silk. Maybe the Kaolin lightened it up. Approx 1.5 oz kaolin to 60 oz oils. Sorry I forgot about the Kaolin, it was a small note on the bottom of my printout.

Theresa, I am glad they got your package to you :)

Thanks for the clarification, Carolyn. I have often been tempted to go above the recommendations when I make soap. I love to smell it on my skin long after the shower, and I figure that is the probably the most benign thing I do to my body!

Safe Usage Rates

I hope that I did not overlook this information in the thread. I know that somewhere in the last 24 pages, it was discussed that any sample soaps sent out were scented at 6%. Did we ever cover the safe usage maximums for soap, lotion, and candles?

ETA: I re-read the whole thread and found a reference to maximum usage in soap on page 22:
Hate to admit it, but I do go above with some fo's in soaps only. Not leave on products. My DB is considered safe up to 9%. Keep in mind having fo tested by the IFRA is not mandatory so not all fo's even carry an IFRA rating. It is a self regulating organization in the FO industry.

I would still love a recommendation on appropriate usage rates in leave-on products and candles. I might be going a bit overboard on the Dragon's Blood.

:bath1:

Last edited:
Back