Bath bomb pre-mix

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwystedPryncess

Reaction score
Does anyone find it helpful to pre-mix a base of your most basic bath bomb ingredients to store and keep on hand or would it be detrimental in some fashion?

I am wondering if I could get away with mixing my baking soda, citric acid, epsom salts and SLSA and storing it in an airtight container. I think this would save me a little energy fibro - wise every time I make bombs, as I always use the same base. The different additives could then of course be put in at the time of making.

I prefer to wet my mixtures in small amounts at a time, anyway, as I think mine just come out better that way as opposed to spritzing a huge bowlful.

I love to make all of it, so that is a plus, but I just get tired easy, so if I can save a step anywhere, I always try to do so. That is great to hear, so the next thing I will do is make a huge batch of my premix base. Yay! I do a bit dislike pouring lip balms, but I am getting better and I have to say I hate cleaning the beeswax up afterwards even worse. But watching my daughter smile and her eyes pop open and say "You made this?? This is way tons better than anything I've ever bought! Love you Mama!" Then I suppose the beeswax horror is worth it.

I am no expert but I would say with pre-mixing the base this will not guarantee that your mix will be even.

Put simply when make all at once a 50/50 split will be just that, but if you pre-mix it and just take out a bit at a time there is no way of knowing you have you a 50/50 split of ingredients. This may not matter with bath bombs as the ratio might not be that important but it is something to consider.

I would try it on a small scale to test first.

I think it should work just fine as long as you keep it in an airtight container. I would actually recommend a large zip lock bag. This way you can remove most of the air (prevents moisture in the air from reacting your citric acid and baking soda) and you can shake it before use if its been sitting a while. But, I've never done it before.

I am no expert but I would say with pre-mixing the base this will not guarantee that your mix will be even.

Put simply when make all at once a 50/50 split will be just that, but if you pre-mix it and just take out a bit at a time there is no way of knowing you have you a 50/50 split of ingredients. This may not matter with bath bombs as the ratio might not be that important but it is something to consider.

I would try it on a small scale to test first.

As long as you mix it well before taking out whatever portion you want it's fine. I've pre-mixed my bath bombs in larger quantities and it's worked just fine. I'm not quite sure I understand by what you mean by 50/50 split.

As long as you mix it well before taking out whatever portion you want it's fine. I've pre-mixed my bath bombs in larger quantities and it's worked just fine. I'm not quite sure I understand by what you mean by 50/50 split.

sorry I perhaps should have written as a ratio 1:1

If you made a large batch of 50% baking soda and 50% citric acid, then took out 30% of the total mix you couldn't guarantee that the 30% contained half and half of the two original ingredients.

sorry I perhaps should have written as a ratio 1:1

If you made a large batch of 50% baking soda and 50% citric acid, then took out 30% of the total mix you couldn't guarantee that the 30% contained half and half of the two original ingredients.

But if you mix it well it's not going to be off that much. And, Usually it's a 2:1 mix to start then the other stuff on top of that. I can only speak for my experience and haven't had a problem.

Latest posts

Back