October 2017 SMF Soap Challenge, simple minimalistic swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to October's 2017 SMF Soap Challenge!

Please read first

***Before signing up, please give me a moment to post examples of soaps in subsequent responses. I have several examples of things that would qualify for this challenge and will have to post many responses to show you (since there is a limited number of pictures I am allowed to post). Also, I had an insane month, made a soap for this (finally!), and it is well below my expectations. So I have a ton of excellent soaps as examples (thank you Pinterest!).

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge is a simple, minimalistic swirl technique.

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
· You may use any mold for this design.
· You may use up to 3 colors, but no more than 3.
· Your main color needs to be at least 75%-80% of the batter. You may use any 1 color for this. If you use closer to 70%, it would still qualify, but you may not use less than this.
***The only reason I say this is it is difficult measuring out 2 colors at only 20-25% and making it work in a design. So I'll be a little lenient on it. Just do not use less!***
· You do not have to weigh out your batter, eyeballing it is okay so long as you're honest about it.
· You may pour up to 2 different colors, not of the base color.
· If you choose to use 2 colors, do not use them in equal amounts. 1 needs to be a main accent while the other is the lesser.
· You may use virtually any technique, like a layer, texture that matches (think black and poppy seeds), a simple ebru, so long as it is not busy. For example, you could technically do a dna swirl with 2 colors on top of a solid base, but a design like this is too busy and it would disqualify. This challenge is about a simple elegant swirl/design that holds its weight on its own. Feather, teardrops, if done small and delicate, qualify. Gentle hangers, drop swirl that do not take up the entire soap qualify. Things like this.

*If you are unsure whether or not your design falls in line with the rules, please ask immediately so that you have enough time to make a soap. You can pm me or ask on the thread.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens October 17, 2017.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes October 26, 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens immediately the 26th.
Winners Announced October 31, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on October 17, 2017 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date October 26, 2017 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on October 31, 2017. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

http://youtu.be/NrwN99NGubA

http://youtu.be/9S-hvKN2wgI

http://youtu.be/G71V9Xc0rM8

attachment-2.png

1e6fb6d6e776654ca16aeb7a14c61c0e.jpg

attachment.jpg

0ae35bd9fcfdc5b735e82bada48f5b38.jpg

attachment-16.jpg

73a4ae7a0ecfcebf329c8dafa556d544.jpg

attachment-9.jpg

IMGP8173.jpg

attachment-18.jpg

Last edited:
My videos aren't showing up in the thread, click the link...I'm trying to work on it. Sorry guys!

Edit, I tried like 5 times. I even used the web link instead of a direct paste which I did the first time. It won't load onto the thread automatically. I'm at a loss, sorry!

Last edited:
1. Kittish! Minimalism I can do!
2. MommyCarlson - I'm in!
3. Rusti - me three!

Would a ghost swirl count?

Yes! A two toned soap with part of it a water discount, and part not, would count as 2 colors. 3 is the max. Add a colorant in and you could have 3 hypothetically, but 2 colors are fine (as is only 1) . So long as it maintains a simple swirl and not 100% through your soap, busy, like my hanger I showed in the introduction, it would qualify.

3. Rusti - me three!
4. jewels621 - coming in off of a post-SoapCon high! I'm in!
5. dibbles - Love it! :clap:

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
6. BattleGnome - I can tongue-in-cheek make a Christmas present for my minimalist sister
7. Mx6inpenn - I'm thinking Christmas too

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
8. CaraBou - Oh yeah, uh huh!

3. Rusti - me three!
4. jewels621 - coming in off of a post-SoapCon higher! I'm in!
5. dibbles - Love it!
9. PenelopeJane - Minimalist is easy! Right??

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
10. BlackDog - this is probably a lot harder than it looks :think:

3. Rusti - me three!
5. dibbles - Love it!
10. BlackDog - this is probably a lot harder than it looks
icon_think.gif

11. I agree with black dog. is a trick! :mrgreen:

Back