Using coconut milk as your lye water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohhh I am going to try that. How about leaving the salt out? Still 13 to 15% superfat, because of the milk fat? is that why?

And I have another question. (Sorry I am full of them sometimes). I am looking to make eggnog soap. And I have this powder to make eggnog. If I just put like a table spoon after trace, I do not need to change the water content, right?

ohhh I am going to try that. How about leaving the salt out? Still 13 to 15% superfat, because of the milk fat? is that why?

For me, it's because of the milkfat and also the salt content (I find that the salt content in my salt soaps helps to reduce that uber-cleansing feeling from the 100% coconut oil.

This is just me, but if I were ever to make a 100% CO soap with 100% coconut milk (but no salt), I would superfat at 15%.

And I have another question. (Sorry I am full of them sometimes). I am looking to make eggnog soap. And I have this powder to make eggnog. If I just put like a table spoon after trace, I do not need to change the water content, right?

I know of some folks that like to add more water when adding things like milk powders and clays, etc.., but speaking only for myself, I never change my water amount when adding such things, and all comes out well with my 33% lye concentration regardless.

IrishLass :)

Has anyone made a 100 % coconut oil soap with 20 % superfat, and coconut milk as the liquid?

I made a triple coconut soap one time: 100% CO with a 20% SF. Did a 1:1 ratio of lye with coconut water, then added the remainder of the volume of water as coconut milk at trace. I liked that soap....need to do it again.

Just curious if the coconut milk from the can needs to be strained or not? I made a soap last night using coconut milk and when I unmolded it tonight I can see little white specks all around the outside of the loaf.

Just curious if the coconut milk from the can needs to be strained or not? I made a soap last night using coconut milk and when I unmolded it tonight I can see little white specks all around the outside of the loaf.

This post is almost 2 years old. There are more recent posts on using Coconut Milk. However, I'll answer your question just the same. I don't strain my milk. I do the split method and mix my lye with distilled water 1:1. I then use the remainder liquid needed for my recipe as coconut milk, I also add powdered to make it full milk when all done (not necessary though). I stick blend my milk into my oils.

Did you add the lye to the coconut milk? What was your process? It sounds like either it wasn't mixed well enough if added to the oils or if you froze it and added the lye to the frozen milk it may have saponified some of the fat.

Did you add the lye to the coconut milk? What was your process? It sounds like either it wasn't mixed well enough if added to the oils or if you froze it and added the lye to the frozen milk it may have saponified some of the fat.

This was exactly my experience with NaOH added to frozen coconut milk. Which is why I will go to the split method if I ever go back to using coconut milk.

I use CM in almost everything I pour these days. Love what it does for the lather. I use it for the liquid above my 50/50 lye water either from the fridge or straight from the can with no issues (knock on wood).

Back