I think I'm done

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's is definitely interesting when I read everyone's post. When I lived in the Philippines, there were cattle ranchers who would "park" their carts in the middle of our land selling leather materials, and that was without technology. It was their way of making a living and perhaps also because they can carry everything with them. So all I can say is, it is definitely something to try and invest in. I also remembered one important thing, if you plan to do this yourself, it will take lots of time and even more so than a full time job. If you then decide to have a business partner, make sure this person is someone reliable and willing to handle whatever comes along with the business etc, meeting with other vendors with you. I had invested on an art bus, a bus that would travel city to city teaching children how to paint or make art. One day my business partner didn't go with me in dealing with our marketing video guy (who helped us with visual material) and to make the long story short, it was a bad idea to go by myself, hence the unreliable business partner who didn't commit in going with me. These are just my experiences and hopefully this will give you a sense of what to expect perhaps.

And don't forget those who buy handmade soap as gifts! They are looking a pretty soap in pretty packaging.

It's very hard to tell the quality of a soap just by looking at it - so I think it's very important to package your products well and make your booth and design very visually attractive. It's an art and a skill all in itself.

While no one wants to kill someone's dream I will again mention it is hard hard work and not big return when selling soap. If traveling to different cities and venues you are really not spending the time to build up a clientele like you would at a market you attend regularly. You risk only acquiring the customer that buys because it is pretty or smells good and many of those do not purchase again or move on to someone else's soap because it looks pretty or smells good. These people do not realize a difference in quality. Many customers do realize there is good and bad soap or the one's that get hooked on yours and will not even consider buying from another vendor. I have customers that do recognize the difference but it took several years to get to that point. My booth and label is recognized at most markets I attend even if I show up once a year, but this took over 5 yrs to happen. I do not even have a banner and they know who I am, lol, probably the one without a banner :). I do make money, although not much now since my parents require full time care. Heck, last weekend I sold over $200 while working on my rental house, my customer came and picked up their products they wanted. :) You have to love making soap and love the hard work of attending markets. My hubby and I enjoy meeting people and seeing our vendor friends, but as we are getting older it is getting harder. I carry $2 mil insurance, most markets in our area require $1 mil.

My daughter originally started this venture with big dreams and I told her she was a few years late. She did make a living for her family, since she did not have to pay rent or house payment, in the beginning but 2 yrs ago the sales started declining so badly she gave up on her end, but still misses it. This was during the economic crash and her husband was out of work. There was just to many now selling handmade and decorative m&p products. Her sales were online and I think it was harder work promoting daily than going to markets.

Sorry I am rambling so I will go to work now...back to the rental and painting

I'm done with markets after three years of doing them every weekend. Doesn't help that I live in Houston and its 145 degrees in the shade in February lol. I'm exploring wholesale options and going to things like wedding expos (that are indoors!) And I have my own site, Etsy and Amazon... I love making soap, I just hate selling it retail!!!

We've been doing farmers markets and craft fairs for 5 yrs now and make a decent living at it. We eliminate the bad ones and move on. We also eliminate the products that don't sell well and add new ones, I do bring my lotions and oils, just don't put them out on the table. Table real estate is too valuable to put out something that doesn't move fast, but I do have my loyal lotion and oil customers.

We are now also selling a friends beef jerky at most of our shows and even though the profit margin isn't the same as our homemade items we sell a ton of it! Diversity is working for us.

Living and selling in a tourist area helps a lot too! All the backpackers and hikers love beef jerky.

We've been doing farmers markets and craft fairs for 5 yrs now and make a decent living at it. We eliminate the bad ones and move on. We also eliminate the products that don't sell well and add new ones, I do bring my lotions and oils, just don't put them out on the table. Table real estate is too valuable to put out something that doesn't move fast, but I do have my loyal lotion and oil customers.

We are now also selling a friends beef jerky at most of our shows and even though the profit margin isn't the same as our homemade items we sell a ton of it! Diversity is working for us.

Living and selling in a tourist area helps a lot too! All the backpackers and hikers love beef jerky.
I also sell my crochet hats, shawls and in some markets my husbands golf art. Yep diversity is the name of the game when it comes to outdoor markets

I agree - you can forget how bad some shows are when there's a gap of time in between. I'm in my 3 rd year of selling soap and learn something each time. My last show (inside during the summer!) I put my $10 bath products in sale for $7 and sold a bunch! I also determined that people like to buy soap that matches their bathrooms. Therefore my pink soaps weren't destined to be sold. I looked on Pinterest for popular bathroom colors (ocean and neutral colors).

I enjoy selling at craft fairs but also love it when friends spend a bunch at one swoop! I keep notes of each fair I do So I know if I want to it again the next year. I did great at a fair at a distillery this spring after a divastating street fair where I know a lot of people (crazy weather that day!).

So the moral of my story is; if you enjoy selling in person then do craft fairs. If you don't, focus on online sales and wholesale sales. Happy soaping everyone!

It's is definitely interesting when I read everyone's post. When I lived in the Philippines, there were cattle ranchers who would "park" their carts in the middle of our land selling leather materials, and that was without technology. It was their way of making a living and perhaps also because they can carry everything with them. So all I can say is, it is definitely something to try and invest in. I also remembered one important thing, if you plan to do this yourself, it will take lots of time and even more so than a full time job. If you then decide to have a business partner, make sure this person is someone reliable and willing to handle whatever comes along with the business etc, meeting with other vendors with you. I had invested on an art bus, a bus that would travel city to city teaching children how to paint or make art. One day my business partner didn't go with me in dealing with our marketing video guy (who helped us with visual material) and to make the long story short, it was a bad idea to go by myself, hence the unreliable business partner who didn't commit in going with me. These are just my experiences and hopefully this will give you a sense of what to expect perhaps.

While no one wants to kill someone's dream I will again mention it is hard hard work and not big return when selling soap. If traveling to different cities and venues you are really not spending the time to build up a clientele like you would at a market you attend regularly. You risk only acquiring the customer that buys because it is pretty or smells good and many of those do not purchase again or move on to someone else's soap because it looks pretty or smells good. These people do not realize a difference in quality. Many customers do realize there is good and bad soap or the one's that get hooked on yours and will not even consider buying from another vendor. I have customers that do recognize the difference but it took several years to get to that point. My booth and label is recognized at most markets I attend even if I show up once a year, but this took over 5 yrs to happen. I do not even have a banner and they know who I am, lol, probably the one without a banner :). I do make money, although not much now since my parents require full time care. Heck, last weekend I sold over $200 while working on my rental house, my customer came and picked up their products they wanted. :) You have to love making soap and love the hard work of attending markets. My hubby and I enjoy meeting people and seeing our vendor friends, but as we are getting older it is getting harder. I carry $2 mil insurance, most markets in our area require $1 mil.

My daughter originally started this venture with big dreams and I told her she was a few years late. She did make a living for her family, since she did not have to pay rent or house payment, in the beginning but 2 yrs ago the sales started declining so badly she gave up on her end, but still misses it. This was during the economic crash and her husband was out of work. There was just to many now selling handmade and decorative m&p products. Her sales were online and I think it was harder work promoting daily than going to markets.

Sorry I am rambling so I will go to work now...back to the rental and painting

It is a lot of work! Most soapers don't have a crew to set up shop, which requires loading and unloading car and set up displays. Then there's the making of soaps and things, the set up, the recipe, and the clean up. Plus the packaging/wrapping. And the list goes on.
It takes a lot of energy to stay positive with people that what 2 bars for 10.00 or buy one get one free. It is a costly art of soap making.
But I love soap making, and I believe, that is what keeps me going. I use all of the bad for good. :bunny:

Back