Anyone knows what and why this could happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanny_jLL

Reaction score
IMG_0005.jpg

Dear all.. i just made this batch couple of days, and when they in gelling phase, i see a round blot or i don’t know what to called them (pardon my english)..anyone knows?

That was my guess too. Could you tell us more about your process?

That was my guess too. Could you tell us more about your process?

Hi Millie.. my process is like usual i think.. i add a salt in my water,add lye,add a little sodium lactate (just 1/2tsp), prepare and melt the hard oil, mix them together until trace, add fragrance and essential oil blend, and blend again until medium trace..

I pour them in my acrylic mold (since i live in humid country,i prefer not using the wood mold, i do have a silicon mold but they took more couple days to unmold.. i use acrylic mold and i feel like more convenient and i can “see through” them lol..)

My acrylic is simple.. it’s like a box without lid and bottom..but the bottom have a lid that you could put on-off..and i cover mold’s bottom with cling wrap to prevent the leak..

What recipe did you use? Those blotches look a little like the stearic blobs I got in my first soap.

Here’s my recipe :
50% pomace olive oil
25% coconut oil
8% cocoa butter
7% shea butter
5% avocado oil
5% castor oil

I made total oil 1kg, and got :
Lye : 139gr
Water : 389gr (but i discount them into 350gr)
Salt : 1tsp
Sodium lactate : 1/2tsp

That seems awfully cool for 40% hard oils. Have you soaped that cool with this recipe before? And if so, did you also get the same result or a different result?

Hi earlene.. i’m sorry.. i mean 27C/80F is the room temperature.. but for oils i always melt them first and mix them in more than 40C/105F..is it warm enough?

It looks like partial gel or unevenly mixed in EO.
I'd add the EO with the oils, soap warmer and insulate the mold with a lid and a towel.

Hi penelopejane..do you think that’s the problem?well it could be because i just mix them and not stir them..i just shake them a minute..and add them at trace..i never try that method yet (add EO with oil).. because i’m afraid the EO will evaporate,is that not?

I think you let your mixture drop to that room temperature. Just keep it warm enough that the oils stay melted. Once you add the lye and stick blend, it will naturally go higher, just be sure to not let it sit and cool off.

Hi penelopejane..do you think that’s the problem?well it could be because i just mix them and not stir them..i just shake them a minute..and add them at trace..i never try that method yet (add EO with oil).. because i’m afraid the EO will evaporate,is that not?

You need to mix the EOs in thoroughly. Adding them to the oils means you will always do this. They will not evaporate at soap making temperatures.

If you melt your hard oils and add them to cold other oils you will get streaks in your soap or stearic spots. If you let the melted oils and cold oils sit for a while this might negate the problem.

If mixing the EOs with the oils solves your problem your soaping temps might be ok. If mixing your EOs with the oils doesn't solve the problems try soaping warmer around 100*F

Don't worry dear, "practice makes man perfect".
Now you have to take out the mass and do again by hot process at 50c to 55c. stir well but oil should not be come out. stir until when you will not get soap smell. Than mold it with glossy paper in acrylic mold. try it.

Thank you all.. noted.. will follow in next batch.. thank you all again.. really glad found this forum :)

Thank you all.. noted.. will follow in next batch.. thank you all again.. really glad found this forum :)

Susie and i are really saying the same thing even though she said - don’t let the melted hard oils sit and cool off.

I said heat the hard oils and let them sit in the cooler oils so you get a bit of heat transfer and start the saponification process.

Back