i have a issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbale1

Reaction score
hi everyone
So, next week we have Pi Day! Which is technically Monday, but my friends and I will be observing it Saturday.

Which means I need to narrow down the pies I make to 2-3 options. I want this to include savory pies, but that's where I'm stumbling. If I include meat with them, then I'd do two savory pies (as there's pescatarians in the group)... Not to mention that there's picky eaters (including myself). Add in the only savory pies I really know/understand are quiches... It's rather limiting.

At least I have a few days to ponder.
thanks

pasty pie!

Pasties are a local delicacy by me. They’re normally in “hand pie” form s usually easier for the home cook to make a traditional pie shape instead of the individual. My favorite pasty restaurant makes a vegetarian one: potato, rutabaga, broccoli, cheddar, and a dollop of cream cheese all folded into the pie (served with sour cream)

My favorite savory pie to make is my Grandma's French Meat Pie.

Edited to add a pic:
IMG_3017FrenchMeatPiePIDay2015.JPG

IrishLass :)

My favorite savory pie to make is my Grandma's French Meat Pie.

Edited to add a pic:
IMG_3017FrenchMeatPiePIDay2015.JPG

You do make a really pretty crust :) Think I will make this for my parents next week. Thank-you for the recipe IL. BTW in Armenian cooking cinnamon is often added to meat dishes. Of course, so much of their cooking is regional, but my MIL used cinnamon in several meat dishes and stuffed grape leaves (rice and onion). Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice give meat dishes a great flavor, that I finds just sticks to the brain. I am never one to pass up a stuffed grape leaf, as long as they are rice and onion, and have never never had one that used cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg like ours do. It just adds a flavor level that is hard to forget

You do make a really pretty crust :) Think I will make this for my parents next week. Thank-you for the recipe IL. BTW in Armenian cooking cinnamon is often added to meat dishes. Of course, so much of their cooking is regional, but my MIL used cinnamon in several meat dishes and stuffed grape leaves (rice and onion). Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice give meat dishes a great flavor, that I finds just sticks to the brain. I am never one to pass up a stuffed grape leaf, as long as they are rice and onion, and have never never had one that used cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg like ours do. It just adds a flavor level that is hard to forget

Thank you Carolyn. :) My pie crusts used to be very hit-or-miss until I stumbled upon a discovery explained so wonderfully by a chef named Paige on this pie crust blog page. Turns out I was using the wrong fat-to-flour ratio for the protein content of my particular flour (King Arthur AP flour). Once I started using the proper fat to flour ratio for my KA flour, and also mixing my dough like she does on the blog page (brilliant!), I've been so happy with my crusts. By the way, the leaf lard sold by Fanny and Flo online makes a great crust for this pie.

Re: the cinnamon. I agree wholeheartedly with you. The reason why I say "that's right- cinnamon" in the text of recipe is because of how my sister-in-law reacted when she tried the meat pie for the first time. Let's just say she just wasn't all that into it. :lol: She can be very picky when it comes to certain food /spice combos, and to her, cinnamon is a spice for sweets only, like apple pie, etc... But to me (and everyone else in my family), the cinnamon and nutmeg really make this pie the awesome thing that it is.

I make cottage pie with ground beef or beef cubes-depending on what I have on hand. This is close to my recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/169136...ContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 1

Then I make chicken pot pie. I do not make my crusts, the Great Value refrigerated crusts are great and they freeze beautifully, so I always have some in the freezer. (Yes, I am perfectly capable of making a decent crust, but why use up all that time?) I do make my cream gravy from scratch. Here's the recipe:

2 Tablespoons veg oil
2 Tablespoons AP flour
1/2 lg onion, chopped
1 rib of celery, chopped
1/3 bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup milk (I use evaporated, but any dairy milk will do)
2 cups chicken stock (or use water and 2 bouillon cubes, or 2 teaspoons chicken base)
2 cups shredded or cubed chicken
1 lb pkg frozen mixed vegetables

Preheat oven to 350 F

Pour oil in pan, heat on med heat. Add flour and stir and cook until slightly browned-about 2 minutes.
Add chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, cook until onion is translucent
Add garlic, cook and stir about 1 minute
Add stock and milk, stir until mixture is thick and bubbly
Add chicken and veggies.
You may need some additional liquid, but better to have too little than too much.
Prepare bottom crust, pour in hot mixture, top with other crust, cut slits in top crust to allow steam to evaporate.
Pinch crusts together all around edge.
Bake until crust is golden brown. You may need to cover the edges if you have an oven with a hot spot.

Thank you Carolyn. :) My pie crusts used to be very hit-or-miss until I stumbled upon a discovery explained so wonderfully by a chef named Paige on this pie crust blog page. Turns out I was using the wrong fat-to-flour ratio for the protein content of my particular flour (King Arthur AP flour). Once I started using the proper fat to flour ratio for my KA flour, and also mixing my dough like she does on the blog page (brilliant!), I've been so happy with my crusts. By the way, the leaf lard sold by Fanny and Flo online makes a great crust for this pie.

Try replacing most, or even all of the water with the highest proof grain alcohol you can find. I use everclear or spiced rum instead of water. Use the same amount, or even a little more if you need to. It helps keep the gluten from developing, which gives a more tender crust.

Re: the cinnamon. I agree wholeheartedly with you. The reason why I say "that's right- cinnamon" in the text of recipe is because of how my sister-in-law reacted when she tried the meat pie for the first time. Let's just say she just wasn't all that into it. :lol: She can be very picky when it comes to certain food /spice combos, and to her, cinnamon is a spice for sweets only, like apple pie, etc... But to me (and everyone else in my family), the cinnamon and nutmeg really make this pie the awesome thing that it is.

I make Emeril Laggasse's (sp?) Bolognese sauce and it uses cinnamon. I cut the amount in half like several reviewers recommend. You don't notice it when it's there, but you definitely notice when it's not!

Back