How do I make scent stick?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellySoapCo

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with making scent stick in my CP soap. A soap I made yesterday has already lost its scent which yesterday filled the whole house. I looked at the maximum usage which is 18.5% and I used 5% so then I thought that was the problem. Calculated out, I would have to use 3oz of fragrance per pound of oils to reach 18.5%. This seems crazy high since most sites recommend 0.5oz -1oz per pound of oil no matter what the scent is.
This is the second out of four of my soaps to completely lose their scent this week. Other soaps are fine and I don't do anything different. Both scents were from wholesalessuppliesplus. They were melon ball and banana coconut. I read the reviews of the fragrance oil and no one mentions anything about the scent going away in CP soap. Help please! I've had this issue in the past which made me quit soaping for a year out of frustration. I would really like to get it down because this doesn't seem to be a problem for other soapers.
Also I know a lot of people use WSP and have no issues, but the only fragrances that have ever done this to me have been from there. Has anyone else had this problem? I just placed another order this week so I'm worried about the new scents I got if they're going to do the same.. It's a real waste of the oils, time, and money when the scent doesn't stick. I either have to rebatch or chuck it...
Thanks for your help

Are you sure you aren't "nose blind" and just need a break from the scent?
A lot of times as a soap cures the scent will come back also, or at least you think it comes back because you aren't so saturated with that scent, and can smell it again.
My bottom line and gmp for me, would never allow me to use more than 5-6% of FO in soap. Too much and it will start oozing and seeping out, and you have to worry about people with sensitivities.

Some scents are lighter than others, also, so you have to take that into consideration.

Are you sure you aren't "nose blind" and just need a break from the scent?
A lot of times as a soap cures the scent will come back also, or at least you think it comes back because you aren't so saturated with that scent, and can smell it again.
My bottom line and gmp for me, would never allow me to use more than 5-6% of FO in soap. Too much and it will start oozing and seeping out, and you have to worry about people with sensitivities.

Some scents are lighter than others, also, so you have to take that into consideration.

The one I made yesterday I could've gone nose blind to, but the one I made a week ago has been out of sight and out of mind for a week. I took a little sliver from the end of the loaf and used it on my hands yesterday and no scent at all. Other ones I made 3-4 days ago I can smell very well and they still smell great just like the bottle. It seems only the WSP I have fade like this and I would really like to get them to stick because they're wonderful fragrances.

The one I made yesterday I could've gone nose blind to, but the one I made a week ago has been out of sight and out of mind for a week. I took a little sliver from the end of the loaf and used it on my hands yesterday and no scent at all. Other ones I made 3-4 days ago I can smell very well and they still smell great just like the bottle. It seems only the WSP I have fade like this and I would really like to get them to stick because they're wonderful fragrances.

Some scents, even though they are skin safe, are not necessarily cp stable, and that might be what's happening here as well. I really don't know.
I rarely have FO's that don't work or fade quickly (unless they are citrus scents) in my soap.

It also just might be the FOs themselves. Some FOs just do not stick well or are very light.
WSP generally has good FOs, but I'm sure they don't all behave the same way. It's the nature of the beast, I think.
I've been testing FOs over the past couple of weeks. Some are great & smell strong, others have a scent that fades to almost nothing pretty quickly, and others can have a scent fade and return during the cure.
There is also a FO Review spreadsheet where members have reviewed the FOs from multiple suppliers. You might want to check there if there's a scent in particular you are looking for.

Some scents, even though they are skin safe, are not necessarily cp stable, and that might be what's happening here as well. I really don't know.
I rarely have FO's that don't work or fade quickly (unless they are citrus scents) in my soap.

Ahhh this is so frustrating! It seems no one has this problem and I have it consistently I'm so jealous :(
I just tried sniffing coffee then my soaps to see if I'm nose blind and I found that my samples which are stacked on top of each other still smell but the bars which are spaced about half an inch from each other do not smell. Could it be possible they're evaporating too quickly? I live in Arizona so the humidity is very very low
Is it possible they're curing very quickly and then the fragrance is evaporating? Should I wrap them? I might wrap one in plastic wrap and see if it makes a difference

It also just might be the FOs themselves. Some FOs just do not stick well or are very light.
WSP generally has good FOs, but I'm sure they don't all behave the same way. It's the nature of the beast, I think.
I've been testing FOs over the past couple of weeks. Some are great & smell strong, others have a scent that fades to almost nothing pretty quickly, and others can have a scent fade and return during the cure.
There is also a FO Review spreadsheet where members have reviewed the FOs from multiple suppliers. You might want to check there if there's a scent in particular you are looking for.

Thank you! I guess it could be since I always buy the cheapest FO WSP has... They probably aren't that high quality..

Could it be possible they're evaporating too quickly? I live in Arizona so the humidity is very very low
Is it possible they're curing very quickly and then the fragrance is evaporating? Should I wrap them? I might wrap one in plastic wrap and see if it makes a difference

Very very doubtful. Fragrances do not evaporate. Not like water does anyway. They can dissipate, and can fade, but they do not evaporate.
Also, only time will cure a bar, not low humidity. Curing is more than just water evaporating.
I do find sometimes that soap scents that fade a bit, once cured and are used the scent will come back when wet.

I would not wrap an uncured (less than 4 weeks old) bar of soap in plastic wrap. That is just asking for trouble, as in DOS, mold, mildew, ickiness. Not saying it absolutely will happen, but it certainly has a better chance if that happening.

Thank you! I guess it could be since I always buy the cheapest FO WSP has... They probably aren't that high quality..

Price and quality are not necessarily correlative.
I use FO's from NG, Lonestar, Aztec, all reasonably priced (some as low as $14 per lb) and they are amazing scents that stick.
I've also used supposed "higher end" scents that were no more 'fabulous' than my $14 scents.

just sayin'

Price and quality are not necessarily correlative.
I use FO's from NG, Lonestar, Aztec, all reasonably priced (some as low as $14 per lb) and they are amazing scents that stick.
I've also used supposed "higher end" scents that were no more 'fabulous' than my $14 scents.

just sayin'

I guess I'll just have to go with trial and error then. Most of the wsp I get fade so I might just steer clear of them. Even the scents I've bought on ebay from no name supplies have performed better than most of the WSP I've gotten.

I can’t add much to the conversation that hasn’t already been said it I will say that WSP isn’t the best supplier for CP. WSP doesn’t test their products in CP and if you look at their kits, everything is geared towards setting your business up quick (down to pricing guides and INCI names). It’s just their business model. Almost every other supplier I’ve used has better scents for CP. you might be close enough for reasonable shipping from Brambleberry, nearly every scent of theirs is a sticker or is well documented in comments or the blurbs itself on how it behaves in CP.

I've had pretty good luck with the WSP FOs I've used. I have used melon balls, and had no problem with it. But I don't really like it, just personal preference. On the other hand, a lot of people have great results with Nature's Garden, and I don't. I tried a few, all were weak smelling to me OOB and also faint in the soap. So, I just don't order FO from there.

Latest posts

Back