CPOP soap makers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
What kind of mold do you use for CPOP? I have silicone and wood. Do I line those? Trying out a new adventure in soaping.. Thanks.

I've used both.

But a caution on your silicone ones. Make sure that they are OVEN safe ones. I had a small mold that was silicone-like. Turns out it wasn't actually silcone. Found out that one the hard way. :( Got a little melty in the oven even at only 170degrees F for even a little bit. Good thing I always put my silicone molds on a cookie sheet.

Turns out it actually was an ice cube tray...thought silicone was silicone. Apparently not. :oops:

I haven't lined my silicone mold but I do line the wooden loaf molds with freezer paper.

This is my favourite way to soap but since moving we have a fire oven so I can no longer do this :/
Be careful if you use the wood ones in the oven as the will warp over time. I was lucky enough to have hubby make me a couple of stainless steel ones that I line with baking paper to avoid them sticking, however if I do forget I just pop the soap in the freezer for a couple of hours and it comes straight out of the mold.

Thanks so much for the replies and tips. I am going to give it a try and hopefully it works out. I usually do hot process so I am a little nervous... But love making soap so I am hoping it will give me some new ideas.. I just have no patience for waiting. lol.
thanks again.

I do CPOP with my wooden molds just fine without warping, but I don't set my heat as high as some do. I turn my oven off when it reaches 120F. The lower temp works out for me because I usually soap pretty warm anyway- 120-125F. I get full gel every time.

IrishLass :)

My wooden molds warped after a few years, you couldn't notice a difference looking at them but I started having trouble getting the soap out after it was set. I don't leave the oven on either, and I wouldn't recommend leaving it on for the cook but I would heat the oven to 150C, sorry not sure what that is in F.

I have also done soap where I leave the traced soap in the pot and put that in the oven until it gels and then take it out mix in the herbs and essential oils and then mold. I love to do this with citrus scents or anything else that is killed by the CP process. The bars are more rustic looking than CP but still smoother than HP soap. :)

I've just recently started CPOP as well! I've already managed to destroy four pounds of soap. Apparantly I overheated them. But the silicone molds held up really well anyways.
For those who gel in the oven, how do you do it?! My oven was off (originally set at 150F) and it overheated them. Do you preheat at lowest temp possible, turn off, put soap in, then remove as soon as full gel is achieved?
I've never gelled anything until recently. Never had any partial gels or anything with any of my CP soaps, so I have very, very little experience. :/

I have wooden molds. I put them in a warm oven at 170 and leave it on for an hour. I then turn off the oven and leave the molds in overnight. I tried it with a smaller silicone mold and ended up with a funky texture on my soap.

How your soap responds during CPOP depends on a few things. Firstly the oven temp and secondly your mold. I personally wouldn't use a silicone mold to do CPOP as the the mold is too thin so harder to regulate texture. The aim is to have a controlled heat surround your soap so you need something a little thicker to keep the temperature more regulated hence the reason I use the stainless or wooden molds.

A soap doesn't have to gel to get the best result it just takes a little longer to cure. I find some of my best soap never gelled and gives me a much more appealing looking and smelling bar. And just for the record I can't get a soap to gel in a silicone mold doing CP soap either unless I cover the soap with cling wrap and then cover with a blanket.

I just googled and it seems that 150C is equal to 302F so I use a rather hot temperature although it doesn't seem that hot to me!

I only CPOP when using an FO that is slow and doesn't like to gel or with a formula that usually gets ash, so I don't have a great amount of experience with it. I haven't had any problems with my silicone molds in the oven but my husband built wood holders for them for better stability so that probably changes my outcome a bit. However, I did stick a couple of individual cavity silicone molds in the other week and left the oven on at 170f for a bit because of a stubborn soap situation with no problems.

Back