3d Printer!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chainmail1-1722.jpg

This is a piece of chain mail printed in one piece, already linked. Each ring is loose, able to turn freely. The sheet is about 5 inches by 6 inches. I can also make single, open rings that I can use to link sheets like this together to make costume chain mail armor.

cosplayhorns1-1723.jpg

Here we have a set of cosplay horns. I'll mount them to a headband, and paint them. The rough looking bits on the right side are the supports, they were removed when I took the horns off the print bed.

Oh gosh. That's so cool and so much less of a pain in the butt then doing all that Chainmaille by hand. I make Chainmaille Jewelry & I can't imagine having to make sheets of the stuff by hand!

Did you design the chainmaille yourself or did you find the file online?

I've been trying to teach myself Fusion360 by designing soap dishes (of course). It's frustrating but fun, and I've learned quite a bit.

I haven't actually even touched Fusion360 yet. I've been getting my printer settings dialed in and printing lots of stuff!

I made a ton of Christmas ornaments for family, and 30 fidget cube toys for the pre-K class at the elementary my younger niece and nephew go to.

Right now I'm making presents for people. I've made a couple of really intricate skeleton model puzzles for a friend who really appreciates such things, as well as a multi-layer labyrinth box that has the key to the lock box that the puzzles are in inside of it.

Younger nephew saw the box I made for the puzzle present and just went bonzo. He loved the box, so I'm making little lock boxes for the nieces and nephews. Each one will be customized. Oldest nephew is getting a Deadpool themed box, oldest niece is getting a rainbow box (she claims not to have a favorite color, so she gets them all), and younger niece and nephew are each getting boxes in their favorite colors. Made a really pretty angel cat tree topper for some friends that will each appreciate it on different levels. She'll like it because cat. He'll like it because techno-gizmo thing. SIL wants a Star Wars themed tree topper, and I'm going to print that in uncolored filament so she can run a light up inside it and make it glow. Other SIL is getting an elephant trinket box, because she really likes elephants. I also made a cute little elephant key fob for her. The little acorn opens, and has a small space inside where you can keep something. The two puzzles were pretty much test prints, to see if my tolerances were good. They are, I didn't need to trim or sand either puzzle for it to work smoothly. The white and gold present box was for our neighbors, and I filled it with soap and body butter and printed trinkets and some hershey's kisses. It measures about 5 inches per side, and is about as big a thing as my printer can print all in one go.

printstuff-1751.jpg

angelcat-1752.jpg

deadpoolbox1-1754.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be a plastic Christmas here, too. Teenage great-niece and nephews are getting their gift cards in twisty boxes (gold one is open in the picture). Niece wants a lithophane of these kids as babies, but if she doesn't get the original photos to me soon, it'll be too late; I've got some design work to do on the stand after I print the lithophane.

IMG_20171214_153820.jpg

Not that I can afford it, but how big is that thing? How much space does it occupy?

Do you mean the printer? It's footprint is about 10" deep by 18" wide by right at 24" tall with the spool holder raised and locked into position.

If you mean the Deadpool box, it's a lot smaller. 3" deep by 4" wide by 1.75" tall.

The next big thing on my wishlist is a filament recycler, and space to put it!

The black is probably my favorite filament: Vertigo Galaxy from FilamentOne. It's pricey, but so pretty. The blue is High Five blue from Proto Pasta, and the gold is Bronzefill from Amolen. The clear is from 3D Solutech.(All PLA). You can order all but the Galaxy from Amazon; that you have to get from FilamentOne.com. I'm afraid that the same gene that makes me buy FOs also seems to covet filament - I can't resist.

The black is probably my favorite filament: Vertigo Galaxy from FilamentOne. It's pricey, but so pretty. The blue is High Five blue from Proto Pasta, and the gold is Bronzefill from Amolen. The clear is from 3D Solutech.(All PLA). You can order all but the Galaxy from Amazon; that you have to get from FilamentOne.com. I'm afraid that the same gene that makes me buy FOs also seems to covet filament - I can't resist.

That's a feeling I know so, so well. Your printer use 1.75mm filament or 2.85? I've had a heck of a time, mine uses 2.85mm, and lots of those really awesome colors I can't FIND in the right diameter. Especially on Amazon. I'll probably be buying quite a lot of my filament in the future from MatterHackers, and I've had good results with the GizmoDorks metallics (the bronze and the copper). No doubt I'll be making an order from this FilamentOne, too, they have a few colors that I like. You know, nothing major, just every color they carry that I don't already have. I'm going to wind up completely taking over the bookshelf near my printer with the filament.

Eventually, one day (years down the road), I'm going to have room to have multiple printers all going at once, and ALL the filament in ALL the colors. Some day...

So, these 3d printers, is the print a plastic? Would you be able to paint them if say you printed it in white and then wanted multiple colors? Or is the filament you are talking about the colors needed and you just tell the print pattern what color to print?

(Sorry I'm clueless!)

So, these 3d printers, is the print a plastic? Would you be able to paint them if say you printed it in white and then wanted multiple colors? Or is the filament you are talking about the colors needed and you just tell the print pattern what color to print?

(Sorry I'm clueless!)

The answer to all of your questions is yes.

There are various kinds of plastic filament you can get for home model 3d printers. PLA is the preferred plastic for hobbyists, it's (eventually) biodegradable and is made from plants. It's available in a wide range of colors, so you can print in the color(s) you want right off the bat and not need to paint. You can paint it, acrylic paint works very well with PLA.

Printing in multiple colors goes one of three ways. First, most usual way is to just switch colors mid-print. Most printer software drivers have a pause function for doing just that. You wind up with a piece with horizontal stripes of different colors. That's what I did with the red and block box. Another, slightly more complicated method is to have pieces that each print in the color you want, then you assemble them into your finished object. That's what I did, on a very small scale, with the Deadpool symbols on the box and key. Finally, there's the "dual extruder" option. Some printers have an upgraded extrusion head available that lets you switch between two colors at any point during the print, so you can have printed in patterns in different colors.

Here's my brand new 3d printer up and running! It's currently printing out the test file. Once it's done I'm going to try printing out a soap stamp. If that works out well, as soon as I'm allowed to I'll put up an ad in the classifieds to print custom soap stamps for folks.

How're things coming with the printer?

After many years I've finally got someone on track for a logo, and would love to get a soap stamp when it's done?;)

Here's my brand new 3d printer up and running! It's currently printing out the test file. Once it's done I'm going to try printing out a soap stamp. If that works out well, as soon as I'm allowed to I'll put up an ad in the classifieds to print custom soap stamps for folks.

printer-1704.jpg
Hey Kittish. 3D Printing Nerd on YouTube made this the other day and proceed that the measurements were right. I thought it was so cool so I wanted to share it with you :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2676324

Latest posts

Back