Sunflower Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
Somewhere recently on a thread I saw that a particular sunflower oil was HO. There was a photo and I have searched and searched until I now have a headache :( I have "Authentic Menu Pure Sunflower Oil" from WM, it does not say "HO" on it but it says suitable for frying. Can anyone tell me if this is HO?
Thank you so much!

Here is a simple explanation. I got this from a web site. :

Just remember our High Oleic Sunflower Oil has the highest monounsaturated oleic acid content, over 85%, of any commercially available oil. It has the highest stability and is lower in saturated and polyunsaturated fats than any commercially available oil.

So look for high monounsaturated fats and low saturated and polynsaturated fats.

Sunflower oil is great in soap IMO. I love it.

Last edited:
Thank you Skatergirl, this one has 9g of polyunsaturated and 3 g of monounsaturated, so does that mean it's not HO? I swear someone posted a picture of this very oil and said it was HO. I wish I could find that post, I can't search this forum to save my life :(

ETA: with rumors of the price of OO going up I have been wanting to try to replace my OO with HO Sunflower, and really just wanted to buy a small amount to give it a whirl.

Thank you Skatergirl, this one has 9g of polyunsaturated and 3 g of monounsaturated, so does that mean it's not HO? I swear someone posted a picture of this very oil and said it was HO. I wish I could find that post, I can't search this forum to save my life :(

ETA: with rumors of the price of OO going up I have been wanting to try to replace my OO with HO Sunflower, and really just wanted to buy a small amount to give it a whirl.

That does not sound like HO. I prefer Sunflower over Olive. there isn’t the slimy feeling with Sunflower.

I'm still trying to find that thread LOL. I appreciate the help. I'll just save this for cooking and try to find a small container of HO Sunflower. Have you noticed that your soap is softer with the Sunflower? In all my searching that seems to be brought up by a few people.

Here's an expanded article on this topic: https://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.html

Here's an example of a quick 'n dirty check: "...Sometimes an estimate is all you need. Can you tell if the monounsaturated fat is a large part of the total fat? In this example (see my article for the details), the monounsaturated fat is 11 grams and the total fat is 14 grams. The monounsaturated fat is a LOT more than half of the total. Looks high oleic safflower oil to me!..."

Thank you! I'll read and keep looking, just want a small amount to start with, some reports say the soap is softer with Sunflower so I just want to give it a whirl. :)

I've made soap with 70% HO sunflower and 30% avocado. Poured in individual molds. It was nicely hard and ready to unmold the next day. I recommend using a higher lye concentration for any high oleic recipe. I used 40% lye concentration for this batch.

I've made soap with 70% HO sunflower and 30% avocado. Poured in individual molds. It was nicely hard and ready to unmold the next day. I recommend using a higher lye concentration for any high oleic recipe. I used 40% lye concentration for this batch.

Thank you DeeAnna! If I use HO oil in place of my olive oil at 15%, should I change my normal 33% lye concentration to 40%?

Thank you DeeAnna! If I use HO oil in place of my olive oil at 15%, should I change my normal 33% lye concentration to 40%?

I think it's an individual thing. I am a really slow soaper. I like to have all the time in the world to add colour, change my mind, do swirls or layers so I don't go over 31% lye concentration even on 100% OO recipes.

But there are many people who have been soaping for years or who are oganised or who don't do tricky soaps who successfully use a higher lye concentration.

MommyCarlson-- If you make your olive oil soap with 33% lye concentration, then a similar recipe with HO sunflower should be fine at 33%. There's no overwhelming reason to do 40% unless you just want to try it. Like PenelopeJane said, there's no one right way to do this.

I realize now I was thinking more of the "full water" soapers who use 28% lye concentration when I wrote my earlier post. That's on the low side for a high oleic soap, IMO. I'm not saying you can't make the soap with 28% lye, but it might take an unusually long time to trace and it might stay pretty soft in the mold for some days.

Going from a "full water" recipe at 28% to your 33% concentration -- well, that's a big change when talking about lye concentration. You'll be fine!

Thank you both! Still looking for a small quantity of HO sunflower or safflower to try, don't want to buy a big container until I give it a whirl. I saw that Brewer George said Walmart has LouAna brand that is HO so I'll check that out. Appreciate your help!

You're in central-ish Iowa, right? Try Walmart or HyVee or any other larger grocery store. The Cedar Rapids HyVee has a "whole foods" section, so I imagine the other large city HyVees do likewise.

If you can't find sun or saff in the regular baking aisle, look in the "whole foods" area. Spectrum is a company that distributes cooking oils and I've seen HO sun and saff by Spectrum, but they're usually non-GMO or organic so aren't always in the regular aisles.

You're in central-ish Iowa, right? Try Walmart or HyVee or any other larger grocery store. The Cedar Rapids HyVee has a "whole foods" section, so I imagine the other large city HyVees do likewise.

If you can't find sun or saff in the regular baking aisle, look in the "whole foods" area. Spectrum is a company that distributes cooking oils and I've seen HO sun and saff by Spectrum, but they're usually non-GMO or organic so aren't always in the regular aisles.

I'm on the border of Iowa and Illinois, East Central. We do have Hy Vee, don't typically shop there as they are so expensive. A couple years ago I actually found HO Sunflower oil at Aldi! I'll check Hy Vee next, thank you so much for your help :)

Latest posts

Back