Soap bar Quality Numbers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf05374

Reaction score
I know it's a personal preference but just curious what everyone prefers for your Soap bar quality numbers. I am still a newbie and haven't figured all mine out yet. So far for winter I know cleansing needs to lower for me. What conditioning range do you guys like?? Making my first batch adding sugar to add more bubble may even add salt to see how that effects hardness.

bar quality numbers.JPG

I look at the cleansing number, I'm with Obsidian in that I want it to be on the low end. Other than that, linoleic and lenolenic are the only ones I pay much attention to. I want to keep those low, seems high amounts of those fatty acids tend to contribute to rancidity.

I don't worry about those numbers at all.
They just don't seem to be accurate when it comes to Olive Oil in soap at all.

Much better off testing soap yourself.

I like my cleansing number at 15 or lower and like Kittish, I like to keep my linoleic number low. For me a 12 or less for linoleic seems to ward off DOS & my linolenic number is usually always low. I also try to get my conditioning & bubbly numbers as high as I can. I have favorite oils that I like to use (like castor) in every recipe that give me decent creamy numbers.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

I dont look at the numbers at all, for me its a bit like painting by numbers and therefore never getting to grips with the actual art of painting or making good balanced soap, although I know that is a very personal thing. I had found that just because the numbers say this or that the soap itself does not always match that, its all a bit of a theory. Yes for the very new beginner it is a guide and a starter but after that I think its good to experiment and go for it rather than being constricted by numbers especially once you know the basics. Maybe its me because when I first started soaping 18 years ago there was no Soap calc but there were calculators for the lye and water amounts, for me maybe that was a good thing as it helped me learn and work out in practice what worked and what didn't. It is surprising the amount you learn from a failed or not great batch.

Very interesting. I never looked at the numbers until today. My linoleic is 8 so I was wondering if that was high. Been getting a little rancid in some bars.

Obsidian Yes castor at 3.5%. This is my first recipe I have done from scratch and still a newbie. Amazing how much you can learn from others! Here is my recipe if you would like to review. I won't sweat the number as much. I to like a low cleansing. My 1st batch was at 19 and makes me itchy. I will save it for summer use and see how I like it then.

My best soap recipe.JPG

I personally don’t use any oil below 10% as I don’t think it would make any noticeable difference with the exception of castor I use 5%. Rice Bran and Olive are very similar. Give it a try and see what you think. Everyone’s different in what works for them. You won’t know until you try it.

I personally don’t use any oil below 10% as I don’t think it would make any noticeable difference with the exception of castor I use 5%. Rice Bran and Olive are very similar. Give it a try and see what you think. Everyone’s different in what works for them. You won’t know until you try it.

Same here, adding a little of this and a little of that just seems time consuming and leaves more room for error with no real benefit. Castor is the only oil I use at 5-10%.

Back