1st Cows milk soap feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've read so much bout goats milk soap. But it's not available to me. So going to try with raw cows milk... Available in abundance..
After watching many videos, reading blogs n forum. This is what I've understood. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!
M going to try a full water replacement... (Currently milk is in freezer)

My understanding
Need to freeze the milk and very slowly add the Lye, keeping the milk in cold water bath. Checking once in a while the temp doesn't rise much... N keep in under 120..
If it's getting too hot wait for a while n add Lye once it cools..

Mix milk lye mix to oils n continue as usual... Bring to trace. Add fragrance.. N put it in the moulds..
Do not cover the mould. Place the mould in freezer or refrigeration to avoid gelling or burning of milk...
Unmould after 24 hrs..

I hope I've not missed anything.
So here is my recipe n few following questions
Castor oil 5%
Coconut oil 15%
Pomace olive 25%
Palm oil 50%
Lye at 33%
Sf 7%
What do u think???
Im out of essential oils n have dupes or fragrance oils of the below
Peppermint
Spearmint
Ceaderwood
Patchouli
Germanium
Ylang Ylang
Lavender
Lemongrass
. What should I use.. I mean which one smells better with milk..
So I've thought of using cavity mould and pour the following
Plain batter
With fo
With colour n fo
With Rose petal powder
With activated charcoal
Kindly review and let me know if missed something or need to improve

Your recipe and process sounds good. I would soap a bit cooler though. Especially with milk. My oils are generally just warm/clear. Be prepared as I've heard cow's milk soap can smell pretty bad due to the butric acid. I've not used it. I've used goats, buttermilk & Coconut with no issues but also have a tendency to mix my lye with enough water to dissolve the lye then add my milk and powdered milk to equal full milk to my oils.

Also, I have no problem lightly insulating and gelling my milk soaps but that's a personal decision. You do need to watch it.

I would use a non floral in the soap as florals have a tendency accelerate things sometimes. Peppermint/Spearmint is nice though.

OK thanks I'm going to try with both the fo
Also as I'm using 100% water replacement. Is it a good idea to gel...?? Won't it burn??

OK thanks I'm going to try with both the fo
Also as I'm using 100% water replacement. Is it a good idea to gel...?? Won't it burn??

The burning if it happens will happen as you add the milk to the lye.

After that overheating may be a problem. I too use the split method (with GM) and insulate with no problems.

Add the lye slowly to the frozen milk to prevent scorching. I add a little lye and stir well, then add a little more lye and stir well etc., etc. I also set my lye/milk container in an ice water bath. Don't use a glass container for mixing the lye and milk.

I did make my batch last night.. N it's out of mould now.. I use 2 duff mould. One went into the refrigerator n other wrapped n insulated..
Just demoulded. Both look great

View attachment 27028
Okay so the rectangle once went into refrigeration n have light n bright colours
The coloured one is turmeric mix..
N spotted is one with the rose petal powder.

Others that look plain r mostly
Spearmint
Peppermint
Lavender
Td
Activated charcoal

The butyric smell will be stronger the more butterfat (milk fat) that is in the recipe -- the milkfat is what contains the butyric fatty acid. Non-fat cow's milk shouldn't have any butyric odor since there's no fat in the milk. Full fat milk might have a bit of odor. But soap made with butter, ghee, or heavy cream will have a definite butyric odor. Any milk soap can have a temporary ammonia scent that fades fairly soon after the soap is cut.

As of now there is no smell.. I got a faint smell while mixing lye to my milk ice cubes.. Only for a minute or so..
Will wait for couple of days n see how they smell n feel..
Tats y all the test soap blocks
I've kept 2 soaps unscented as well

guess I'm on the write page for learning

View attachment 27028
okay so the rectangle once went into refrigeration n have light n bright colours
the coloured one is turmeric mix..
N spotted is one with the rose petal powder.

Others that look plain r mostly
spearmint
peppermint
lavender
td
activated charcoal
1515089343462.jpg

Back