Homemade cultured butter and buttermilk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I just made a cultured butter and buttermilk for my Christmas cakes and minced pies. IMG_5152.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5153.jpg

Love New England Cheese Making! Used their mesophilic & thermophilic cultures when we had our Jersey for making hard cheeses.

I guess we 'cultured' our cream before making it into butter by letting it sit overnight on the counter.

I make mine the same way

Do u think its a good idea to make soap with sour buttermilk??
Full water replacement or half??

View attachment 27028
Okay so the rectangle once went into refrigeration n have light n bright colours
The coloured one is turmeric mix..
N spotted is one with the rose petal powder.

Others that look plain r mostly
Spearmint
Peppermint
Lavender
Td
Activated charcoal

What did you use for a culture? I've only made butter using cream lifted from the top of raw milk.

I make mine the same way

Do u think its a good idea to make soap with sour buttermilk??
Full water replacement or half??

Well, I'm a milk soaper sooooo .... Absolutely! I've used many things I've made from our Jersey milk as Full replacement in my lye solution, including soured buttermilk. (including kefir, failed yogurt, and whey).

I don't mix the lye into my frozen, chunked up milk product slowly, rather I have my oils ready and waiting before messing with the lye solution.

I weigh out my milk product first. I freeze it in gallon zipper bags that have frozen on their side. The milk product is chunked up into 1 inch or less chunks.

Only when all my oils have been weighed, the solid oils melted & liquid oils added to them, do I turn my attention back to the lye solution.

I weigh out my NaOH. I dump about 1/3 of the lye into the chunked milk and stir to get the milk starting to melt, then dump about half the remaining lye into the lye solution, stirring some more, then dumping the remainder.

At this point, there are still plenty of frozen milk chunks. I use my stick blender to break up the remaining frozen milk and incorporate the lye, making sure the stick blender stays submerged the entire time. (I also wear a full face shield when soaping.) The lye solution goes immediately into the waiting oils. The whole process takes just a couple minutes. The lye solution is between 70*-80*F (21*-26*C).

Well, I'm a milk soaper sooooo .... Absolutely! I've used many things I've made from our Jersey milk as Full replacement in my lye solution, including soured buttermilk. (including kefir, failed yogurt, and whey).

I don't mix the lye into my frozen, chunked up milk product slowly, rather I have my oils ready and waiting before messing with the lye solution.

I weigh out my milk product first. I freeze it in gallon zipper bags that have frozen on their side. The milk product is chunked up into 1 inch or less chunks.

Only when all my oils have been weighed, the solid oils melted & liquid oils added to them, do I turn my attention back to the lye solution.

I weigh out my NaOH. I dump about 1/3 of the lye into the chunked milk and stir to get the milk starting to melt, then dump about half the remaining lye into the lye solution, stirring some more, then dumping the remainder.

At this point, there are still plenty of frozen milk chunks. I use my stick blender to break up the remaining frozen milk and incorporate the lye, making sure the stick blender stays submerged the entire time. (I also wear a full face shield when soaping.) The lye solution goes immediately into the waiting oils. The whole process takes just a couple minutes. The lye solution is between 70*-80*F (21*-26*C).

That’s awesome

Wow, MullerLaneFarm I think you are the very first person I have ever read or heard about who actually stick blends a lye solution. It would have never occurred to me to do that. I probably won't, though. Although I am not afraid of using lye because my mom taught me to use lye to clean the metal parts of my oven (back when you could easily dismantle an oven and soak the parts in a utility sink full of lye water) when I was quite young. No, not scared of lye, but as I get older I become more cautious about certain things that hold risk, especially as my coordination changes from that of a svelte youth to that of an old woman.

edit: name correction

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back