Design Techniques Spreadsheet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pointillism is another one.

This is so cool that you decided to do this. What a great idea.

PS. You've got Ribbon Pour in there twice.

CaraBou, I tried to add a couple of techniques, and did. But when I tried to add a second tutorial link to the Clyde Slide, it went into the technique above - the butterfly swirl, no hanger. So I tried to change that to a link for butterfly swirl, no hanger and it went into butterfly swirl. Sorry, I'm not so good at this, and I don't know how to fix it :oops: I'm going on vacation tomorrow and will be gone for a couple of weeks, so I'll be keeping my little dibbles fingers out of it.

Thanks for giving it a spin dibbles,and for letting me know your troubles. I've not worked with google spreadsheets much let alone created & shared one, so I'm not surprised of glitches. I'll see if I can figure it out after I get back from traveling. In the mean time, it would be great to know if others have tried editing and any problems or successes they encountered.

Have fun in Hawaii dibbles -- it sounds like so much fun!

I added the pointillism technique.

Problems I find and the best solution of which I am aware: Adding multiple links in a cell is difficult, but if you unlink the first link, then you can add the others. But you end up with URLs that aren't really links anymore. If you try to relink them all, they don't work as separate links. You get a message that multiple links in a cell is not possible. So just leave them unlinked. The person who wants to use the link will have to copy and paste into their browser it seems.

However, I can't quite figure out how Carabou got the space inserted between the two URLs listed in the cell for the Pipe Divider Technique. If I figure that out, I will add it in the cell for Pointillism URLs and post here how it's done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ETA: I found it with a simple Google search:

Now you need to add carriage return or hard return manually in cells.
Step 1: Double clicking the cell you will work with, and get to edit it.
Step 2: Put the cursor at the specific position that you want the long sentence wrapped.
Step 3: Press the Alt key and Enter key together.

Last edited:
Way to go Earlene, you defined a limitation and the less than perfect solution (Alt-Enter to paste more than one web address, none of which would have an active hyperlink). That was my exact workaround.

Because >1 tutorials are often desirable, should I create multiple columns and place them as the end columns? They won't be up front but they'd have more room and could each contain a live link so that cut and paste isn't needed.

Another idea is to create a database rather than a spreadsheet, but I have not explored whether this is possible in google docs. A data base can accommodate more complex data and be set up in a different format than simple rows and columns.

I won't be in a position to explore these ideas until I am home again. I fly back tomorrow but we're leaving to ice fish this weekend. So for now I'd say dump the links into a shared cell without active hyperlinks using Earlene's instructions, and we can sort out the rest later. Or if anyone wants to take a crack and creating more tutorial columns at the end, feel free. Or any other promising idea, for that matter.

Artemis - the dragonfly should probably be considered an alternate name to the butterfly. You get them with a similar technique but different motions. I listed them separately because I wasn't sure whether I'd find a tutorial specific to the dragonfly. I have seen some neat dragonflies so wanted to recognize them as separate if that was realistic.

I really wish we could do thumbnails for a quick easy glance but I'm hitting a wall on that one. It seems way more involved than a collaborative sheet should ask. This shouldn't be frustrating, it should be fun!

You found a jackpot ngian! Feel free to patch in the tutorial links and other tidbits you've learned from your own experience. Ethically, it can get gray very quickly if we're simply copying what others have reported. The tutorials seem fair game to me since they're open on youtube for tutorial purposes, but I'm hoping we fill in the other columns from our collective experiences or extensions of logic from other projects. Speak up with thoughts on this approach.

I really wish we could do thumbnails for a quick easy glance but I'm hitting a wall on that one. It seems way more involved than a collaborative sheet should ask. This shouldn't be frustrating, it should be fun!

There are 2 ways to do that, but the best way is to use the 'Function' code, as described in the video at the end of this post.

It is the best way because it keeps the image within the cell and does not interfere with adding or deleting columns or rows, whereas the other way does.

It is a bit more detailed, but not at all difficult. I went ahead and inserted a column and titled it Thumbnails and put in an image to test it out. The instructions are:

1. Select or highlight the cell where you want to insert the image.
2. In the Formula Bar (where you see the grey 'fx') type:
=("url")
where url is the actual url of the image you wish to insert
3. Enter

You will now see the image inside the cell.

The = sign, the parentheses and the quotation marks surrounding the url are required for this formula to work in a spreadsheet.

Issues of concern: The url will need to be for non-copyrighted material or material for which we obtain permission. The one I chose is a 1887 Vincent Van Gogh painting done in the pointillism style (Self Portrait) obtained from a site stating it is in the Public Domain. But to choose a picture of actual soap done in this style, I think finding a Public Domain link would be very difficult, so I would suggest we use our own photos if we are willing, or leave them blank.

Video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCNfRC3-K-E"]here[/ame]

Last edited:
There are 2 ways to do that, but the best way is to use the 'Function' code, as described in the video at the end of this post.

That's awesome earlene -- you are the spreadsheet queen! Thanks for taking the initiative and please keep that up! Do you know how to use a pic from a hard drive or google drive instead of a URL? Sorry I couldn't figure it out myself yet - just got home tonight and haven't had much time to poke around.

Does that gray area go away if there is also a column that properly cites the source material?

I would think so, since we have a lot of that type of reference here. But I'd still prefer that we speak from our own experiences as much as possible -- it just seems like a better way to go.

I don't think we're going ice fishing this weekend, so hopefully I can play around with spreadsheet some more. I'd like to get kinks worked out as quickly as possible, so keep posting troubles and ideas.

That's awesome earlene -- you are the spreadsheet queen! Thanks for taking the initiative and please keep that up! Do you know how to use a pic from a hard drive or google drive instead of a URL? Sorry I couldn't figure it out myself yet - just got home tonight and haven't had much time to poke around.

You can used to be able to obtain the url from your Google Drive image* and insert it the same as previously explained. But I am having trouble finding how to do it now. They seem to have made some changes. I'll keep trying, as I am pretty sure it can still be done. Okay, got it. It's kind of complex. Instructions below.

But since the image on your computer has no url, you can't really insert it into the cell using the function menu bar. If you use insert from the drop down menu, it sits on top of the spreadsheet and not inside the cell, so it just won't work in the way we would want within the spreadsheet. When ever new rows or columns are added it would mess up the looks of the spreadsheet.

So I recommend using an image hosting site for photos that should go into the thumbnails. That way you can get a url.

* How to insert a Google Drive image into a cell:

1. open Google Drive and find your desired image (make sure it has the image icon to the left of the name)
2. right click on the image name (not the image, but the name itself)
3. choose Get shareable link
4. copy the link
5. paste link
6. withing the link CHANGE only the word open to uc
7. proceed as previously instructed

Example: my link from my Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YfnHB-I9RRAETiXqciu0jfM05IrXNENx5w
(It isn't showing completely above, but the last part is: 1YfnHB-I9RRAETiXqciu0jfM05IrXNENx5w)

within the url, find the word 'open' and change it to uc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YfnHB-I9RRAETiXqciu0jfM05IrXNENx5w

becomes:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1YfnHB-I9RRAETiXqciu0jfM05IrXNENx5w

This is what is pasted into the function menu bar as:

=image("https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1YfnHB-I9RRAETiXqciu0jfM05IrXNENx5w")

I inserted it into the last row that I added to test this out. It is an image of a glacier in Alaska, not a soap. It was for testing purposes only.

Last edited:
Thanks for investigating that Earlene, you have way more patience than I do! Who knew it would be such a big deal to add thumbnails, or be so restrictive. I wouldn't mind a few funky results but I'm afraid it would frustrate contributors & users, and possibly turn some away.

A few options I see (though there could be more):
1. Let the Tutorial Links provide the pics (whether they be videos or text & pics)​
2. Change the column header to "Pic Links" so it directs people to provide a hyperlink rather than encouraging them to embed thumbnails​
3. Move that column toward the end of the spreadsheet and let people try to figure out how to embed thumbnails (realizing we may get floaters)​

I am tending toward #1 but I am certainly open to different opinions and additional options. What do you all think?

P.S. I forgot to say I love the AK glacier pic! Which glacier is it?

Last edited:
Thanks for investigating that Earlene, you have way more patience than I do! Who knew it would be such a big deal to add thumbnails, or be so restrictive. I wouldn't mind a few funky results but I'm afraid it would frustrate contributors & users, and possibly turn some away.

A few options I see (though there could be more):
1. Let the Tutorial Links provide the pics (whether they be videos or text & pics)​
2. Change the column header to "Pic Links" so it directs people to provide a hyperlink rather than encouraging them to embed thumbnails​
3. Move that column toward the end of the spreadsheet and let people try to figure out how to embed thumbnails (realizing we may get floaters)​
I am tending toward #1 but I am certainly open to different opinions and additional options. What do you all think?

P.S. I forgot to say I love the AK glacier pic! Which glacier is it?

It was Holgate Glacier. We took a boat tour out of Seward. The shades of blue in the glaciers are incredible.

Re: the thumbnails in the spreadsheet: I lean towards #1 as well. Although being able to have them is cool, it is rather problematic, especially if someone isn't comfortable with the technical challenge. And the are pretty small anyway, making them a little hard to see.

There is a gorgeous confetti soap on youtube that is really more of an abstract painting. That may be the one you mentioned.

Sorry guys - I had it down, and have been getting lots of access requests, so I put it back up. You won't get an email notice I don't think. Please add to the sheet!

Great Idea! I have been looking for a listing and instructions on all of the swirling techniques. If anyone knows of any other resources I'd really appreciate it. How do you access the most current sheet? Thanks.

CaraBou- This will be such a great resource for information and inspiration. If I understand correctly, the Top Design tab calls-out entries from the Soap Designs tab. If this file is similar to an Excel file, Top Designs can be set up as links to rows on the Soap Designs tab instead of separate entries. That way there’s no need to re-enter the info, and all edits made to the associated row in Soap Designs will come through automatically. I hope that’s helpful. Thank you for your initiative, it’s a great example of the supportive nature of the soaping community.

CaraBou- This will be such a great resource for information and inspiration. If I understand correctly, the Top Design tab calls-out entries from the Soap Designs tab. If this file is similar to an Excel file, Top Designs can be set up as links to rows on the Soap Designs tab instead of separate entries. That way there’s no need to re-enter the info, and all edits made to the associated row in Soap Designs will come through automatically. I hope that’s helpful. Thank you for your initiative, it’s a great example of the supportive nature of the soaping community.

If you go back a few pages you will find the link to the file

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._-g/edit#gid=0

Thanks - shunt2011. I saw the link to the file. My misunderstanding was thinking the Top Designs tab was a subset of the Soap Designs tab - as in what is currently popular. Now I see it means designs for on top of the soap. (Douh!) [emoji51]

Cool! As a newbie, I’m excited to learn as much as I can and now I really want to learn some of these techniques!

Latest posts

Back