What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a perfume oil inspired by (and I hope reminiscent of) Bois des Iles by Chanel. By far the most complicated blend I've put together so far, but it smells pretty good. Probably will smell even better after a few weeks to meld and mature. I'm going to use part of the bottle I made to scent my challenge soap, if I can find/make time to make it before the entry thread closes. Seems fitting, Bois des Iles was introduced in 1926.

I made the mistake of photographing one of my soaps a little too early; it turns out the red (and, by extension, the purple) needed some time to oxidize to hit electric pink and purple...

IMG_0963.jpg

Yesterday I wrapped and labeled soap I made the first night of the Northern California wildfires. I will be giving these bars to my DIL's family when we go there for Thanksgiving in a few days. The other two soaps I made on this trip are not ready yet, so they are still curing in a plastic basket.

Also read back several pages on this thread, but still not caught up.

I made a perfume oil inspired by (and I hope reminiscent of) Bois des Iles by Chanel. By far the most complicated blend I've put together so far, but it smells pretty good. Probably will smell even better after a few weeks to meld and mature. I'm going to use part of the bottle I made to scent my challenge soap, if I can find/make time to make it before the entry thread closes. Seems fitting, Bois des Iles was introduced in 1926.

oooh you know I LOVE Channel. Their perfumes are exquisite. I wear No 5 since I was 15, I think it has become part of my natural smell. :think:

Very clever and fitting to use that combination for the challenge!

oooh you know I LOVE Channel. Their perfumes are exquisite. I wear No 5 since I was 15, I think it has become part of my natural smell. :think:

Very clever and fitting to use that combination for the challenge!

I am somewhat slightly handicapped in that I've never smelled any of the Chanel perfumes, including the one I'm trying to approximate. :???: I'm just going off of reviews. It needs some tweaking still, I think, but the fine tuning is going to have to wait til I can order a couple of EOs.

I just ordered my Christmas presents from my husband.....we have an understanding....I buy my own presents and act surprised when I open them Christmas morning so I get EXACTLY what I've been jonesing for. :) I ordered a Japanese wood plane tool for fancier beveled edges, a giant slab mold, and a loaf splitter. I'm going to be so excited on Christmas morning! :smalltree:

Last edited:
Long time no see! Trying to get back into the swing of life after the craziness of the last 2 months. We brought grandma home for her last day Oct 31. I've been struggling with her being gone now. I've tried to make a few batches of soap but my arm is not able to lift or move well enough yet (back story: flu shot gone horribly wrong), so I am living vicariously through Instagram and You Tube. Hopefully my hubs will be able to help me over the long weekend so I can get some soap back on the cure rack.

Well, last night, actually. I'd thoroughly cleaned out an old lye bottle from Essential Depot and used it as a vertical circular mold. The central soap shouldn't be quite so bulls-eye as this is.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the soap out of it. Yeah, didn't think about that one...

Here's the photo as it's just about to be cooked on the seedling mat:

Soap_11.21.2017_1.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how to get the soap out of it. Yeah, didn't think about that one...

Get a can that has a diameter as close to the diameter of the soap as you can find.
Stand it under the cylinder and push the soap down on top of it.
Once it starts to move it will be easy.

Long time no see! Trying to get back into the swing of life after the craziness of the last 2 months. We brought grandma home for her last day Oct 31. I've been struggling with her being gone now. I've tried to make a few batches of soap but my arm is not able to lift or move well enough yet (back story: flu shot gone horribly wrong), so I am living vicariously through Instagram and You Tube. Hopefully my hubs will be able to help me over the long weekend so I can get some soap back on the cure rack.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope life gets back on track for you soon.

Trying to make myself accept that an entire batch of soap needs to be binned (sulphur contamination) ... about 3lbs of really nice soap that I made for the challenge, and I need to do some testing to confirm the source of the sulphur before I can remake it.

I don't want to do testing today ... I have a birthday cake to make before it gets over 90F (it's 10am here and already hot outside).

So ... does thinking about soap count?

Trying to make myself accept that an entire batch of soap needs to be binned (sulphur contamination) ... about 3lbs of really nice soap that I made for the challenge, and I need to do some testing to confirm the source of the sulphur before I can remake it.

Okay, this one’s a new one to me. What is sulphur contamination? I googled and found out sulphur soap was a thing... I’m assuming you can’t just call it that?

Okay, this one’s a new one to me. What is sulphur contamination? I googled and found out sulphur soap was a thing... I’m assuming you can’t just call it that?

Well, apparently E220 (Sulphur Dioxide), which is a preservative in some things, that can cause a CP soap to smell like sulphur. I don't know if this is the problem, and if it is, I don't know which ingredient is the culprit (none have preservatives listed). There are two possibilities for this (one ingredient is a new batch, and one is from an old batch but used in an amount much higher than I usually use.).

So I need to make at least two test soaps, and hope that one of them actually DOES have the problem, otherwise I'll have to test all of the oils I used, which is not an appealing thought.

And no. No sulphur soap. Made it, hate it, never again.

I hope you're not remaking it just for the challenge? We can't smell the sulfur, but we can appreciate a pretty soap picture.

Thank you for the lovely thought, but I just can't! I would feel like I'd cheated somehow (isn't that the silliest thing? :think:).

That, and I don't want to keep the soap, even for a few days ... I'm panicking that it's little smelly will get into other things :silent:

There's nothing for it. But the testing (which I'm not looking forward to). Or I can make a different soap, without those two ingredients ... ooooh! I like that thought! Thanks artemis! :mrgreen:

Get a can that has a diameter as close to the diameter of the soap as you can find.
Stand it under the cylinder and push the soap down on top of it.
Once it starts to move it will be easy.

I had to pound on it until it broke away a bit, then cut off the bottom, then push it out of the cylinder. Since the mold was free, no big deal.

Back