de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just completed some time off from my babassu/magnesium deodorant after seeing that rash. I am going to try it again just to make sure that it wasn't something else that was affecting my body. My fingers are crossed because I really like this deodorant. Just an FYI my friend found an online site for natural deodorant (Native Deodorant) and it too contains babassu and magnesium and a WHOLE LOT of other stuff, so I'm definitely going to give this another go.

Wish me luck! Will keep you guys informed on how it goes.

Good luck, Gaisy! I liked the Mag/Bab deodorant too! So sad it didn't like me! LOL

...FYI my friend found an online site for natural deodorant (Native Deodorant) and it too contains babassu and magnesium and a WHOLE LOT of other stuff,
I saw that too -- here's a link and list of ingredients:

https://www.nativecos.com/product/deodorant-women/

Caprylic/capric triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil),
arrowroot powder,
stearyl alcohol,
magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia),
shea butter,
coconut oil,
hydrogenated castor oil,
polyglycerol-3 beeswax (cera bellina wax),
jojoba esters,
tocopherol (Vitamin E),
L. acidophilus,
dextrose,
glyceryl caprylate,
glyceryl undecylenate.

I finally ordered babassu oil and it should be in tonight, trying to figure out a basic recipe to start. I don’t currently have magnesium hydroxide but I have been using MOM. I’d like to use the MOM with the e-wax to make a lotion but if I’m reading my notes right that wasn’t a stable combination (tried making a neem/MOM lotion last year)

The ideas I’ve got for right now: (making small lotion bars to test)
1) a plain babassu bar as a control
2) 90% babassu, 10% beeswax
3) 90% babassu, 10% ewax

I have small containers to keep the bars in but I am also debating decreasing the waxes by 1% to use fragrance as my identifier. Are the percentages ok? Should I decrease/increase the wax percentages based on what everyone else has found to work?

I have tried making a lotion (or rather a cream) with milk of magnesia and it is still stable after 7 months. I used 47% milk of magnesia, 48% babassu oil and 5% BTMS. I would like to make it stiffer so that I can pour it into deodorant tubes but I am not sure what to do...

Ok all i am back! Hopefully this forum is still going. My last posting was that i had a rash and was taking a break. Rash cleared up and it was NOT caused by mag/babassu deo. Yayyy. Now for my update: i have mixed a 60/40 babassu magnesium mixture and yes it is still hard but it does glide better. And this baby just travelled with me to Aruba where the temp was a consistent 34 celsius everyday. Wooo boy even my knees were sweating. The deo did not melt at all. And according to my friend i did not smell!

To date i have not been able to use a deo container. I have managed to break three containers. The twister breaks when i try to move the deo up. Oh well i will continue to use toilet paper rolls as molds.

Bottom line is i love this deo. I dont smell, my clothes wash clean, and no staining.

Gaisy59, sounds like your deodorant worked well in Aruba. I hope you had a wonderful time! Sorry about the experience you are having with the containers. I use these from Amazon and have not had any issues whatsoever. When done, I wash and re-use them and they continue to work.

ETA:

To make the link more visible, I think I need to change the color of the linked text thusly: these

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a blast in Aruba thank you. Your link to tubes did not come through but i believe mine broke because i only have the two ingredients and i was using a 50/50 blend. I can try again with the 60/40 blend and see if it will slide up better. If not it will be back to toilet paper rolls lol.

And i really am trying to keep my natural formulations as simple as possible and so i dont want to add an emulsifier, but thanks for that input. I really appreciate what i have read in this amazing forum!

Your link to tubes did not come through but i believe mine broke because i only have the two ingredients and i was using a 50/50 blend. I can try again with the 60/40 blend and see if it will slide up better. If not it will be back to toilet paper rolls lol.

Sorry you didn't see the link. It's because the links just don't show very well in this format, for some reason. If you click on the word 'these', that's the link. But here it is again:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZVSQWC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize it's been a long time since anyone posted in here, BUT! I just went on a 3-month road trip wherein I was camping in my car and only showered about every 3 days. My max was 5 days. I have to say that my 50/50 babassu/mag deo WORKS. After 4 days I would get stinky no matter what, but for 3 days I was usually good! I did use baby wipes on my pits once per day before reapplying the deo but still. I am impressed beyond words and could not wait to get home and tell you all how well it worked. Thanks a million times Teresa!!!!

I realize it's been a long time since anyone posted in here, BUT! I just went on a 3-month road trip wherein I was camping in my car and only showered about every 3 days. My max was 5 days. I have to say that my 50/50 babassu/mag deo WORKS. After 4 days I would get stinky no matter what, but for 3 days I was usually good! I did use baby wipes on my pits once per day before reapplying the deo but still. I am impressed beyond words and could not wait to get home and tell you all how well it worked. Thanks a million times Teresa!!!!
Thankyou for posting your results, I have been wondering if anyone is still using the Bab/Mag mix

Back