Piano- my other obsession (besides soap and cooking)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to learn how to play, but it's only been in recent years that I've actually picked it up (not literally, of course! ;) ).

Mostly, it's been an on and off affair these past 20-odd years, teaching myself from books and videos (I love the Scott Houston method) and from picking the brain of my hubby who actually doesn't play piano, but plays trumpet in a big band jazz group down at the college, and he was able to teach me many basic things such as how to read music, etc...

Anyway- in recent months my niece, who just received her music-teaching degree, has been giving me lessons once a week, and I'm so excited because with her tutorship (and tons of practice) I've just been able to conquer a challenge I gave to myself about 3 or 4 months ago......... namely to be able to play the following arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon by a gal named Galya that I found on Youtube. I love the beautiful and graceful manner in which she plays. And her gracefulness further extends out to her providing free print-outs of many of her arrangements. Score! (pun intended) ;)

I'm not quite up to her speed yet and I don't know if I'll ever attain such graceful hand movements such as she has, but I can now mechanically play it through the whole way without slowing down in the hard parts anymore- @ 72 beats per measure so far- which is half the battle (Galya plays up at around 88 to 91 beats per measure, if my metronome is telling me the truth). Now I can concentrate more on my technique/delivery. Without any further ado, here is Galya playing the arrangement I've been challenging/torturing myself with for months:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0hYrIYPkbk[/ame]

IrishLass :)

Well done! Both my teenage daughters are proficient players with over 10 years experience each. I tried to learn as an older teen and got to the point where I could pick out simple tunes with both hands- barely. Learning as an adult is much more challenging, and I really don't play, so huge props to you for the dedication!

I first heard the Canon in D at a holiday concert when I was in my early 20s and living far away from friends and family. I was very lonely and needed to feel an emotional connection with the world. The Canon fit my mood perfectly and gave me a lift when I deeply needed it. I can never listen to it without that memory coming back. Thanks, Irish Lass.

Good for you!! Keep it up. Learning a musical instrument is a lot of work, but very rewarding. I took piano for many years, but never put the effort into that I should have. Trombone became my main focus.

Next you'll be playing Liszt or Rachmaninoff! :)

One of my favorites(a wee bit different style than the Pachelbel) I don't know how they do it.
If you don't watch the whole thing, at least check out from about 13 minutes to the end.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEvKFqLLZs[/ame]

Well done! Both my teenage daughters are proficient players with over 10 years experience each. I tried to learn as an older teen and got to the point where I could pick out simple tunes with both hands- barely. Learning as an adult is much more challenging, and I really don't play, so huge props to you for the dedication!

I can only wish that I had started younger. The desire was certainly there in me, but circumstances in my childhood got in the way. The desire never left me, though, and my wonderful hubby was able to fulfill it by buying me a portable digital piano with a full set of weighted keys, which was a dream come true for me. Over Christmas, he and I collaborated together for the first time (playing a very simple arrangement of Silent Night together) - him on his trumpet and me on the piano- just him and I alone at home. It was so cool.

DeeAnna said:
I first heard the Canon in D at a holiday concert when I was in my early 20s and living far away from friends and family. I was very lonely and needed to feel an emotional connection with the world. The Canon fit my mood perfectly and gave me a lift when I deeply needed it. I can never listen to it without that memory coming back. Thanks, Irish Lass.

It never ceases to amaze me how deeply healing/uplifting music can be. I honestly don't know what life would be like without it. Probably very cold and lonely, no doubt. I'm so glad my post brought back good memories for you. :)

gdawgs said:
Next you'll be playing Liszt or Rachmaninoff!

Now that's just crazy talk! :lol:

gdawgs said:
One of my favorites(a wee bit different style than the Pachelbel) I don't know how they do it.
If you don't watch the whole thing, at least check out from about 13 minutes to the end.

Oh my goodness! Her hands were playing so fast they were actually blurry on my video screen! I'm with you- I don't know how on earth they do it! That was amazing. Oh, to be able to play like that. Only in my dreams. That particular piano piece would sure come in handy if I was angry or frustrated over something (better to vent it out like that on the piano instead of at people). :lol:

Dibbles said:
I love that you chose this as your goal. It is so soothing and so beautiful. If you only ever master one piece, this would be the one. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. The next one I want to master is her arrangement of Moonlight Sonata, which is just as beautiful. I love how she has short, easy pieces to play for beginners that are also beautiful to listen to. So much better than "Down By The Station Early In The Morning", lol. I can't tell you what a feeling it is to just be able to sit down and have something soothing & beautiful just flow out. Well, I can't say it so much flows out of me as much as it gets forced out of me with difficulty at the moment, lol, but hopefully it'll get there.

@ Dahila- thank you for that. So very beautiful!

As a friend says, "Practice makes better!"

I like that much better than "practice makes perfect" ... because I can see myself getting "better" but I know I'll never get to be "perfect."

I'm so happy for you to be able to fulfill this desire you've carried for so long. I love music, always have, since I can remember. But I have no musical talent, much to my dismay. I always imagined being able to play Gymnopedies #1, it's so beautiful and SLOW, that I thought even I might be able to master it, but it was not to be. I have artists in my family, and I also wanted to be able to draw or paint, but I didn't get those genes, either! So I have to be content to being good at making things with my hands. I can only imagine how satisfying it must be for you to be able to play beautiful music. Hard work pays off! Good luck with Moonlight Sonata. I always think of that scene in Immortal Beloved, where Beethoven lays his head on the piano as he plays it, to feel the vibrations, because he can no longer hear. So sad and beautiful.

Wonderful goal! And I love that piece, so beautifull. I wish I had room for at least a small, electric piano. I have musical "tendencies" and always wanted to learn, but my healt has gotten in the way, so never managed to get there.

But maybe one day! : )

As a friend says, "Practice makes better!"

I like that much better than "practice makes perfect" ... because I can see myself getting "better" but I know I'll never get to be "perfect."

Thank you for that! I had but only one 'like' to give to your post, but it deserves many, many more! :) I'm going to use your friend's much more realistic saying from now on instead of the other more unattainable one!

navigator9 said:
I'm so happy for you to be able to fulfill this desire you've carried for so long. I love music, always have, since I can remember. But I have no musical talent, much to my dismay. I always imagined being able to play Gymnopedies #1, it's so beautiful and SLOW, that I thought even I might be able to master it, but it was not to be. I have artists in my family, and I also wanted to be able to draw or paint, but I didn't get those genes, either! So I have to be content to being good at making things with my hands. I can only imagine how satisfying it must be for you to be able to play beautiful music. Hard work pays off! Good luck with Moonlight Sonata. I always think of that scene in Immortal Beloved, where Beethoven lays his head on the piano as he plays it, to feel the vibrations, because he can no longer hear. So sad and beautiful.

To be honest, I don't consider myself to be musically talented either, just immensely stubborn and determined to learn. :lol: My niece/piano teacher on the other hand is the one with the musical gene. You've probably seen or heard of such folks that can pick up instruments that they've never touched before and be able to make something beautiful come out of them in a day or two, etc... - well, that would be her. She's got a natural talent for such things. Me, on the other hand.....well.... let's just say that about the only talent that comes natural to me music-wise is being able clap or tap my toe on time to the beat of a song, and that's pretty much about it! Everything else, I have to fight for! lol

One of the most helpful tools that I have in my arsenal to make the 'fight' so much easier for me are the books and videos of Scott Houston- the 'Learn Piano in a Flash' guy that you may have seen on PBS. I don't know if you've heard of him or not, but he was the beacon of encouragement that lit the fuse under me before hubby even bought me my piano. His somewhat unorthodox philosophy and method of learning piano might not be not for everyone, but they were perfect for me. If you still have a desire to play that won't go away, give his website/blog a read before deciding to close the lid on the piano forever.

I haven't seen Immortal Beloved yet, but I have watched that particular scene that you mentioned a few times on Youtube. As you said- so sad and beautiful. I really need to watch the whole thing!

The Efficacious Gentleman said:
That's very cool. Reminds me that I really need to get back on to the cello!

Here is a clip to help you if a piece requires larger hand span than you have
https://youtu.be/ifKKlhYF53w

Oh my goodness- that clip was absolutely hilarious! Thank you for the very hearty belly-laugh! lol I need to show that to my niece......and my to hubby! Too funny! I couldn't stop at just the one video, though. I had to go and watch a bunch more and most of my afternoon is now gone. lol

Yes- get back on that cello!

MySoapyHeart said:
Wonderful goal! And I love that piece, so beautifull. I wish I had room for at least a small, electric piano. I have musical "tendencies" and always wanted to learn, but my healt has gotten in the way, so never managed to get there.

But maybe one day! : )

Oh, I hope so!

Back