To Color or Not to Color Shampoo Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cursivearts

Reaction score
I love making shampoo bars. It's one of the reasons I started soaping in the first place. I just wondered how many people here colored their shampoo and why or why not? I am thinking about putting thin layers of color in each of mine, but I'm not too sure about full-on coloration. Those of you that sell it, especially, what do you think?

I think it would really depend on what your using to fragrance it with (EO V FO) or if you're leaving it unscented. I think if you're going unscented/EO then it might be nice to leave them uncoloured (for those people looking for the 'natural' :rolleyes:) and if you're using FO then have some fun with it and put some colour in. I wonder though if colour in a shampoo bar would have any effect on dyed hair? I'm not all that familiar with them..though I suppose it would be similar to using a coloured store-bought shampoo..wouldn't it?

It might depend on who is using it, too. Most of my "users" prefer their shampoo bars uncolored, though they do not mind color in other soaps.

This brings up a thought I had though. I sometimes use purple shampoo to tone down my red highlights (grr!!!). I was using our shampoo bar the other day and thought, "Hmmm... I wonder if I put purple mica in here, if I can use it in place of my purple shampoo?"
I am not brave enough to try it. I am too old for purple hair! I vote for someone else to try it and let me know. ;-)

I prefer uncolored shampoo bars. Rubbing colored bars on my hair just seems weird.

I don't think purple mica would tone hair but food color might if you used enough. It would have to be quite a lot. The purple shampoo I use it very pigmented

I make, sell and use a shampoo bar. Just remember if you don't have soft water you will need a lemon or vinegar rinse often to prevent buildup. The shampoo bar is safe of color treated hair, the lemon or vinegar rinse is not.

Back