SMF April 2017 Challenge-Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it okay to ask for non-entry volunteers to help me decide which batch to enter? I have two, and while I know which one I like I'm not sure most others would see it that way. Both batches employ the same basic design feature but the results are quite different. I have nothing earth shattering (sorry), I am just particularly indecisive on this one. Also, I doubt I'll get off another batch to settle the matter. We're in the middle of two different building projects, which in addition to sucking time apparently presents too many decisions all on their own.

If newbie says it's okay, and if any non-competitors are watching and willing, please PM me and I'll send pics. TIA

CaraBou, I was unable to sign up for yet another awesomely fun-looking monthly challenge (grrrrrrrr - this is two months in a row, and even worse is I haven't soaped since early March! My fear is I've forgotten how to do it. On the flip side, we've been traveling and had a great trip, but still...). Anyhooo, if newbie is okay with it I would be happy to give an opinion. My husband tells me I always have one, and, well, my opinion on that is... he's not wrong.

So sorry, Carabou! I didn't go back far enough to read through everything. Yes, feel free to ask people's opinions and I agree with you that PM is best for that.

The entries are all so gorgeous!!!

My plan to make at least one more striped soap was interrupted by life and travels. So I had to choose between the two I made early this month. It was a hard decision, because I like them both. But I chose the one I did because it is more unique. Both are for my brother, the BlackSmith and the photos are ones I prepared to post on FB for him to see, since he has to wait for them to cure.

Even though I normally soap while traveling, this time I won't be doing so for a couple of reasons. One being that we wanted to be able to put the top down in the car and I'm not traveling alone, so there's not as much room for soaping supplies. Well, that's the main reason. Also we're not stopping long in any one place this trip. Anyway, I hope I don't suffer too much from soapmaking withdrawals during this trip. :???:

So here's the one I didn't enter:

BlackSmith%20Soap%20-%202017April09.jpg

Wow, Carabou, just wow. I keep looking at your entry because it's gorgeously elegant (I pictured an upscale bathroom with gleaming, brushed stainless fixtures and acres of sensual marble, with your soap in a fancy dish sink side) and then I see this! Seriously, you nailed it this month. Both are stunning!

Thank you Krista, that's encouraging because I am currently struggling to pick out new materials for a full bathroom remodel - and a bunch of the old stuff is already ripped out. Your words give hope it will turn out okay (soap to the rescue!).

Making my soap today. I just need to pick up some lard and I'm good to go. It feels like forever since I've made soap. Today is my only chance to make it; my grandson is coming over this afternoon to spend the night so there will be no time this afternoon or tomorrow. Here's hoping I can implement my vision.

Beardguy is it cold in the room where you made your soap? I work in an unheated old water mill building and in winter I have horrible trouble with crumbly soap that isn't lye heavy and only occurs near the bottom of the moulds. It only happens between November and February when the outside temps are at their coldest.

I made my soap today... the thing is, I wanted to do a ribbon pour but I added a leftover fragrance and it accelerated the trace heavily, so poured layers... I will cut it tomorrow hoping that they actually look like layers. *fingers crossed*

I haven't had a chance to make soap all month. I won't vote since I didn't try and all. My hands aren't in any condition to make any attempts either. Since I wound up caulking some of my apartment with my mom's help, my hands have been overworked.

I too haven't been able to soap the last couple weeks. In fact I made an attempt the first day the challenge was posted but my batter was thinner than I thought so lines didn't happen and I just haven't had time or room to make more. I finally bought more lye this weekend to make some but ended up making body butter and my first attempt at bath bombs.

Back