SMF January 2017 Challenge: Gradient Layer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newbie and CaraBou, your soaps are stunning and equally matched by your gorgeous photography skills (something I need a lot more practice with)! Such incredible talent, and I can't wait to see more!

CaraBou, I totally get a tranquil spa feel from your soap. 11 layers, and wow! It is beautiful.

HowieRoll - just how??? Amazing job working that one out. It's a stunner!

mx6inpenn - I love your hearts and your color choice. Very pretty soap!

So here are a couple of pictures of my other tries. We won't talk about my first try. The first picture is of my second attempt, which due to operator error ended up as an ombre pour - Black Raspberry Vanilla fragrance. The next two pictures are of my fourth attempt, fragranced with an EO blend of orange, patchouli and clove. My third attempt was my entry.

BRV Ombre2.jpg

Gradient Lace Top.jpg

orange clove gradient.jpg

HowieRoll: I don't know if you tried for the shadows on the layers that make your soap look like 3-dimensional pyramids viewed from the top down, but that ROCKS. I am seriously impressed. Good job!!!!

Finally got an attempt in the mold.
Marshall:
I have not mastered thick trace. I use a low water slow recipe ( bastile type) and split, color and then add in a measured amount of an FO the accelerates ( soap on a stick FO). Wait for it to set in the mold ( 15 to 30 seconds) and start the next layer.

This one has me wondering about doing high/ low water alternating layers for another interesting layered look.

So many ideas and so little time and room to make soap in....

Thanks, dibbles, you are very sweet. And I am in awe/love with your color choices for your entry, but am also impressed with your "attempts" (that look beautiful enough to be entered). That ombre pour is super cool.

mx6inpenn, those hearts are adorable and it made me laugh that you "attempted to detract from messy hearts with a sprinkle of purple and gold mica." I don't think you needed to detract from anything - they are pretty enough to stand alone!

Guspuppy, awwww, thanks! I mustn't divulge my secrets, but... the secret is I'm not exactly sure what happened, so it's a mystery to all! (but please don't tell anyone)

Lucky I can't vote because Howie, I'm especially amazed by how you made that soap. It's bad enough everyone's entries looks amazing. So, I'm glad I don't have to choose a thing.:)

Gosh you all have some super amazing soaps going on over there! Makes me super jealous I've had to be busy being a gypsy!

This challenge looks like so much fun!

Not the best picture, but this is the batch I didn't enter. Aesthetically, I prefer this one. I like how it looks like misty mountains in the distance. The kids think it looks like we're driving through Pennsylvania on a misty day. The other soap, though, had much straighter layers. I think I would play with gradients again, but maybe not try too hard for straight lines. Or, I would stick a hanger in that mold to see what happens!

1484920876891.jpg

Gorgeous soaps,everyone. When we get back home from DC, I'll post my entry. It's been exhausting here, and finding a soap store was no easy task. I visited a shaving soap store a few days ago, though. I had no idea such a store existed!

Latest posts

Back