Europe: (more) environmentally friendly sparkles/flakes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderpink

Reaction score
I would love to add shimmery flakes/sparkles to my bath bombs/melts etc, as an extra visual treat and to add sparkle to my baths, but I don't really want to dump a teaspoon of plastic down the drain each time I take a bath...

So I'm looking for a (slightly better) alternative to plastic glitter/flakes to put in my bath bombs.

I know there are mica powders, but I want something that has a slightly bigger particle size.

Has anyone looked into this before?

I know Lush uses synthetic fluorphlogopite (I think), but I haven't seen any place that sells it to hobbyists, so far.

Especially for places that ship within Europe, it seems kind of hard to find an alternative that doesn't instantly drain your account;)
E.g. at micamoma you can get 20g of calcium aluminum borosillicate for nearly £10,- which I find slightly too expensive.

So far I've only found companies that do wholesale (or alibaba/aliexpress where you need to buy 25kg in one go).

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!!

I have been looking into this kind of thing as well and I came across biodegradable glitter - is that what you were after?

Let me know and I will go through my browsing history and find the link I had earlier!

I think nurturesoap.com has biodegradable glitters. Not sure how if the shipping would be feasible for you though but you can check it out.

Oh, I never even knew that was a thing!!

I might try those out then.
Sadly the shipping from nurturesoap is a bit outrageous if you're outside the US :(
I really want to try their glow in the dark pigment one day.

But it seems there are a few UK shops that sell biodegradable glitter, so I'll try my luck with those :)

Back